Why do people HIDE that they are on line?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
.... are they avoiding someone?
I really want to know what the purpose using the setting to not show if you are on line or not....

HAS to be a good reason - only one I can think of is avoidance...

To enable sickos who might have it out for you to determine whether you're on line and set out to go after you. One plausible explanation.

Far as I know you can easily see what anybody's doing at that moment ("viewing thread: "Why do people hide that they are on line").

I dunno, it's kind of a superfluous feature. I wish they'd clean up all those redundant emoticons instead.

Hint hint.

I really want to know what the purpose using the setting to not show if you are on line or not....

Sometimes they hide their online status because their only reason for being at whatever forum that they go to at all is to cause trouble. I've seen it done.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

It's just weird.

If I "hide" so people don't see me on line with the list of other, but, see I'm posting but showing "offline" what difference does it make?

It's really not my business, I agree, but still -

I think also some people come on here looking for CERTAIN OTHER PEOPLE - (or maybe AVOID CERTAIN OTHER PEOPLE) and if they are not showing on the list of "who's on line" - there is no way for them to look for or avoid them... ? Yet still, if they are posting,... just seems childish....

Having been stalked a time or two, I understand completely. There are some seriously crazy people out there.

Standard security precaution. Criminals, and people with something to hide typically practice hypersecurity measures. ;)

Having been stalked a time or two, I understand completely. There are some seriously crazy people out there.

All my years of being on line, starting in the late 1980’s, this has never happened to me (stalking). Bear in mind, I have only been married just under 15 years, so, talking on the internet/message boards etc. what have you has always been a passion (obsession/addiction) of mine since then. I started on Prodigy, which had games and message boards, joined game sites and played Spades all the time. My “ex” (not husband” and I started a BBS (Bulletin Board System) that worked similar to a message board only you could have chat room, various games to play etc. It was GREAT FUN! I miss that a lot. Then came AOL, the internet etc. Lots to tell about my “life” on the internet but suffice it to say, I talk to lots and lots of people and never once had anyone bugging me once we stopped talking. I’m super fortunate I guess in that way (count your blessings!)

All my years of being on line, starting in the late 1980’s, this has never happened to me (stalking). Bear in mind, I have only been married just under 15 years, so, talking on the internet/message boards etc. what have you has always been a passion (obsession/addiction) of mine since then. I started on Prodigy, which had games and message boards, joined game sites and played Spades all the time. My “ex” (not husband” and I started a BBS (Bulletin Board System) that worked similar to a message board only you could have chat room, various games to play etc. It was GREAT FUN! I miss that a lot. Then came AOL, the internet etc. Lots to tell about my “life” on the internet but suffice it to say, I talk to lots and lots of people and never once had anyone bugging me once we stopped talking. I’m super fortunate I guess in that way (count your blessings!)

I have been online about as long as you have. i started my internet life when you had to put the landline phone receiver in a cradle and dial the number by hand. I was on Prodigy and others. My main hassles came from being on Yahoo and in the chat rooms. Between 3 psycho women and a couple of assholes who didn't like my political views, I have had some annoying people harass me. I doubt any were actually dangerous. But the annoyance was enough for me to go online without advertising it.

I have been online about as long as you have. i started my internet life when you had to put the landline phone receiver in a cradle and dial the number by hand. I was on Prodigy and others. My main hassles came from being on Yahoo and in the chat rooms. Between 3 psycho women and a couple of assholes who didn't like my political views, I have had some annoying people harass me. I doubt any were actually dangerous. But the annoyance was enough for me to go online without advertising it.

I had an on-going verbal battle with someone on Prodigy in a chat room. I miss it. I actually kinda had a crush on him (I still remember his name) - I never saw his picture or anything, but it was like a love hate thing... I did have one guy sending me stuff in the mail - it's amazing really I never got raped or anything like that.... I was pretty wild back then. Good times!

I had an on-going verbal battle with someone on Prodigy in a chat room. I miss it. I actually kinda had a crush on him (I still remember his name) - I never saw his picture or anything, but it was like a love hate thing... I did have one guy sending me stuff in the mail - it's amazing really I never got raped or anything like that.... I was pretty wild back then. Good times!

The women I mentioned were all internet dates before such a thing was common. I was a bit wild too. I was newly divorced and had been without sex for much of the previous few years. Suddenly I was like a kid in a candy store. I made it a point to say I was not interested in a serious relationship. But some people only hear what they want to hear.

The women I mentioned were all internet dates before such a thing was common. I was a bit wild too. I was newly divorced and had been without sex for much of the previous few years. Suddenly I was like a kid in a candy store. I made it a point to say I was not interested in a serious relationship. But some people only hear what they want to hear.
It’s not so much not hearing you, they think they can change your mind

It’s not so much not hearing you, they think they can change your mind

Yep, that is true. Pity about that. We could have enjoyed more of the fun that they wanted, if only they hadn't decided it had to be in a serious relationship.

It's no different than in the real world, where as people don't answer their phones because of screening their calls first or closing their curtains if someone undesirable shows up or not advertising on the front page for all to find easily if wanting to avoid those who won't take the time to go layers deep trying to find someone if they aren't seen on a front page of a site. The issue is all about privacy in many peoples reasoning, and not what some try and suggest that it is when it is done. All sites are different, where as if write something to a thread or to someone within a site, then it doesn't show up on the front page afterwards. As some here said, it's mainly done to avoid people that are best avoided as much as possible in life.

well you can easily do a search by the person to see their latest posts.. just seems lame to me...

well you can easily do a search by the person to see their latest posts.. just seems lame to me...
If doing a search on someone or seeking someone that is avoiding you, then that's stalking isn't it?

How do you know they are avoiding you? Say you look to see if someone is on line, then, you go to a thread and there they are posting.... the obviously are hiding from SOMEONE....but can easily be found - looking for people who you find are interesting or who's posts you like is NOT stalking (... is it ...?)

Yeah I'm slow but I finally figured it out....

They don't want people to know if they are in PM/Inbox (Private Conversation) - too easy to look up someone's activity to put 2 and 2 together...

Sneaky!

Forum List

Back