Why do liberals need cars that go 200 mph or 150 or even 100?

Governors to limit engine/vehicle speeds have been around for ages.

If you passed a law requiring cars in the US to have their speed limited to, say, 80 miles an hour,

conservatives would go ballistic.

what the average person, and the OP is very average, doesn't know is that foreign cars sold in the US very often have a governor on them. 155 mph is agreed upon limit in most cases, though a few companies do fudge on their high performance vehicles.

Yes, I've read that.

Cars have all sorts of mandated safety equipment on them as well.

You don't but you just like having them same way gun owners like to have assault weapons. Maybe they're just loonies playing "big man" with their guns but you liberals do the same with your cars that do three times the legal limit.

Why only liberals? I would not think anyone does.

He's referring to the 16 cylinder 400 hp Toyota Prius Turbo that all those libs in places like California are driving. :lol::lol::lol:

This is probably the 100th thread you've started on this topic.

How do you connect "liberalism" to "fast cars"?

The Gun Nut Credo- When there's a horrible enough mass shooting, try to change the subject.

Nothing to see here.

The liberal/Democrat/progressive credo - When there is a horrible enough mass shooting, don't look at facts, blame Republicans.

Nothing to see here.

Time to regulate cars! Make the power to weight ratio on ALL vehicles match a 1962 VW Bug, or put governors on all engines -- like Autopia at Disneyland -- to limit acceleration and top speed to 40 MPH. It's just NOT FAIR that some folks can go really fast, while others cannot!

If you passed a law requiring cars in the US to have their speed limited to, say, 80 miles an hour,

That may be true but that's not the point. It's liberals who are demanding more gun control so they also should demand more car control since americans do far more killing with cars than guns. THINK

Time to regulate cars! Make the power to weight ratio on ALL vehicles match a 1962 VW Bug, or put governors on all engines -- like Autopia at Disneyland -- to limit acceleration and top speed to 40 MPH. It's just NOT FAIR that some folks can go really fast, while others cannot!

No - whats not fair is liberals screaming for more laws to stop gun violence while they accept the much larger problem of vehicle violence. THINK

That may be true but that's not the point. It's liberals who are demanding more gun control so they also should demand more car control since americans do far more killing with cars than guns. THINK

Thank goodness the far right championed these auto regulations?????

Turning EVERYTHING into a partisan issue only hurts your cause.

Yep, it's an exact comparison to limiting the number of rounds in magazines. Cars kill some 30,000 each year in America, so if you're gonna limit rifle/pistol magazines, then you damn well better start campaigning to limit horsepower and the top speed of vehicles!

Asswipe....I didn't realize only conservatives owned guns.

Hell criminals like you are mostly liberals.....

You don't but you just like having them same way gun owners like to have assault weapons. Maybe they're just loonies playing "big man" with their guns but you liberals do the same with your cars that do three times the legal limit.

Good thing only liberals drive fast cars, well good thing for that matter that only conservatives own guns.

Good grief son ,go to bed.

Asswipe....I didn't realize only conservatives owned guns.

Hell criminals like you are mostly liberals.....

Good thing only liberals drive fast cars, well good thing for that matter that only conservatives own guns.

Good grief son ,go to bed.

Oh the irony, your and SpeedShooter are two sides of the same coin.........

No - whats not fair is liberals screaming for more laws to stop gun violence while they accept the much larger problem of vehicle violence. THINK

Much larger problem of vehicle violence? - think ☜click

BTW -good on you for advocating for regulating guns in the same way we regulate motor vehicles. Interestingly, since the assault weapons ban expired in 2004 motor vehicles deaths have decreased by about 10,000 deaths per year but gun deaths have been on the rise.

No one would ban cars (or guns) but we do (and should) require:
  • licensing with written and practical tests;
  • frequent renewal including updated photo and medical questionnaire;
  • specialty licensing and training for specialty products;
  • product registration and mandatory liability insurance policy;
  • effective enforcement of product safety and use regulations;
  • key locks and other anti-theft devices;
  • manufacturer-funded safety research;
  • adoption by manufacturers of identified best safety features in spite of additional cost;
  • industry or publicly funded awareness and safety campaigns; and
  • restriction of high-performance, unsafe products to private courses/ranges.
We already do every single one of those things with motor vehicles. When we finally woke up to the problem of drunk driving we tightened DUI regulation and enforcement and no one ever complained that we wanted to ban cars -- because that retort is not an argument, it's just an irrational barrier to reasonable discussion. Sensible gun control would include other things not relevant to cars, like waiting periods and restrictions on felons or the mentally ill.

Righties claim lefties want to ban guns but-----but the statistics make that claim look like just more rightwing bullshit.

boy! someone had better go run and tell the NASCAR boys that they're not allowed to drive fast cars anymore b/c they'er not libs.

:cuckoo:

A car or a vehicle is more of a necessity in todays world that a rifle or hand gun. Both liberals and conservatives own and use them on a daily basis. Very few of the owners have a say (or care) in how fast they can go (stock). I like motorcycles and I like to go real fast. I haves many conservative riding buddies who like to go fast too.

right. Because the primary design of the automobile is the ability to kill dozens of people without reloading. Wait a minute! That's assault weapons! Cars were designed as a means of conveyance. How silly of me to assume that cars were designed to kill!

How many "liberals" do you believe go to oval track car races? Isn't that the most obvious adoration of driving fast?

I love fast cars (there is a 550+ horsepower Cadillac and an 800+ horsepower Buick in my garage right now) and have zero interest in circle-track racing.

Actually, I would laugh, shrug...and disable the governor.

Forum List

Back