Why do city people see suburbs as so bad?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by fuzzykitten99, Mar 21, 2006.

1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    Personally, I would rather live where I do. I know my neighbors. I trust them. There is crime, but it is mostly from teenagers looking for a good time TP-ing people's houses. Or the criminals are intercepted from other areas.

If I lived in Minneapolis, most of my stuff would be missing from my garage and home. Why? Because I don't know how many times Tim or I have forgotten to close the garage door over night in the 2 years there, and the side door does not lock or even shut right. Our home's side door is unlocked 90% of the time. No real reason for it. I will never leave the 'burbs, let alone the house we are in. I don't ever plan on leaving a neighborhood where the kids can go play at the playground-by themselves- for hours in the summer and no one bothers them. The kids are out in full force, now that the weather has warmed a bit, playing various sports in the roads, and no one hassles them.

My grandparents lived at this house for 25 years. They almost never locked doors (cars, house, garage) unless they were leaving town for more than 2 days, and even then, the neighbors and my mom and I had the keys for feeding the cats.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/315824.html

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I like the activity and variety living down town offers. I don't live in a huge city and crime in this area is minimal. I also know all my neighbours and most of the community too. I lived in the burbs, found it kind of boring. But that's just me. Some like space, some like action, some are just snobs.

3. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    People hate the suburbs because everything is more spread out, you need a car, and the pace of life is typically much slower and residential. Living in the city can be exciting for some and stressful for others; conversely, living in the burbs can be boring for some and relaxing/reassuring for others. All a matter of personal preference, and probably personality.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Liberals hate to see people move to the burbs, because it shifts the balance of power to the reps for those areas, who are filthy republicans, and do not worship squalor and crime.

5. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I've lived in big cities (New Orleans and Tampa FL.)and I don't care to go back.

Right now I live 30 min. from the outskirts of a fairly large city. No crime out here, good schools and I don't live right on top of my neighbors. But close enough to good colleges for my kids so they don't have to live on campus when they decide to go.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Yeah...the city is great....

[​IMG]

:D

7. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Here in Memphis and the surrounding towns, it's a race thing.

"White Flight" - the city becomes more crime-ridden, people who have the ability (translate money=white) head to the burbs.

Black politicians here have even, publicly, used the phrase "those eastern white devils" when referring to the people who have moved east to the suburbs.

8. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Actually, some people find urban decay quite beautiful. I'm not sure if beautiful is the word I'd use, but definitely interesting.

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Typical in the Southeast. Then I've seen this all over the USA.
    Birds of a feather, ya know.

10. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I hate the suburbs, too. Too crowded. Give me a cabin in the woods where you can't see any neighbors, and all you can hear is the wind in the trees.

But cities are exciting to visit.