Why did you choose your branch?

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
So, I know we have a wide variety of people on here, and I was wondering:

Why did you join your individual branch?

I came up with this because I have as you know, a lot of trash talking at my school by other branches DEP's and sadly, I know for a fact 1 recruiter is sort of pushing it, and I was just wondering, why everyone joined a different branch.

I joined the Air Force because everyone in my family is US Army, and they all told me to go US Air Force. They play with me, and tell me "oh ha ha, couldn't stand to be a grunt" etc etc, but then my Uncle who was in Desert Storm, and has seen some pretty 'insane' stuff told me one time, and this will last in my head forever "You know, we pick on you, but anyone else better keep their mouth shut." It made me realize, Camaraderie. It was kind of weird, cause this is a uncle who bought me a electric shoe polisher as a joke on it "Air Force Style Shoe Polishing" lol.

Funny thing about shoe polishing, it's actually a hobby I relatively enjoy, I can't wait to do it in the USAF, it's something I enjoy quite a bit, I am actually going to do a few guy's boots for them just for practice lol.

I was drafted.

Thanks for Serving, either way.

Also, did you hear any stories of people not being allowed to join because of color blind? My godfather wasn't drafted because he was color blind, but he actually volunteered but wasn't allowed anyways. (Vietnam)

I was drafted.

Also, did you hear any stories of people not being allowed to join because of color blind? My godfather wasn't drafted because he was color blind, but he actually volunteered but wasn't allowed anyways. (Vietnam)

Don't know about the color blind thing. Unfortunately I passed my physical.
and no need to thank me, I do not think we were in any danger of Vietnam invading us.
If they had Bush would have stopped them anyway. Unless he was busy working on a political campaign that is.

Last edited:
I was drafted.

Don't know about the color blind thing. Unfortunately I passed my physical.
and no need to thank me, I do not think we were in any danger of Vietnam invading us.
If they had Bush would have stopped them anyway. Unless he was busy working on a political campaign that is.

Well, I thank you either way Sir. Eh, I doubt they would have either, but eh, just a simple guy.

I chose the Corps because I knew I wanted to be in the infantry and beyond and the USMC was the best and most logical decision. I wanted to be a jarhead ever since I was 8.

So, I know we have a wide variety of people on here, and I was wondering:

Why did you join your individual branch?

I came up with this because I have as you know, a lot of trash talking at my school by other branches DEP's and sadly, I know for a fact 1 recruiter is sort of pushing it, and I was just wondering, why everyone joined a different branch.

I joined the Air Force because everyone in my family is US Army, and they all told me to go US Air Force. They play with me, and tell me "oh ha ha, couldn't stand to be a grunt" etc etc, but then my Uncle who was in Desert Storm, and has seen some pretty 'insane' stuff told me one time, and this will last in my head forever "You know, we pick on you, but anyone else better keep their mouth shut." It made me realize, Camaraderie. It was kind of weird, cause this is a uncle who bought me a electric shoe polisher as a joke on it "Air Force Style Shoe Polishing" lol.

Funny thing about shoe polishing, it's actually a hobby I relatively enjoy, I can't wait to do it in the USAF, it's something I enjoy quite a bit, I am actually going to do a few guy's boots for them just for practice lol.

I chose the Air Force because it offered better looking women.

Here's some free and unsolicited advice, Cain:

Understand that when you are in tech school you will be exposed to wave after wave of young females in the best shape of their life just arriving from Basic after being on lock down for 8 weeks or however long BMT is nowadays.

This is a rare opportunity that you do not want to miss as these chics are EXTREMELY horny.

Take advantage of this.

And wear a freakin' rubber, dude.

Last edited:
Navy, I grew up four blocks from the Pacific, watching ships and small craft enter and leave SF Bay. As a child I wondered what was on the other side; I watched shows like Victory at Sea and Navy Log and was romanced by the adventure.

>

Deciding to join the military is very serious business, not something to be done lightly or without proper consideration. I served from the late 70's to the late 90's.

Army
I thought about joining the Army. But after talking to the recruiter we found out I'd scored to high on the ASVAB and that my IQ was above the freezing point of water. He said I had to be all that I could be somewhere else.

Air Force
Things were looking good for the Air Force. Good schools and good clubs (I mean come on they build the bars before building the runway and then go back to Congress for more money). But on checking I found out that advancement was terrible, basically you had to shoot your supervisor to make a slot for promotion. I decided to fly the friendly skies elsewhere.

Marines
Honestly I wasn't to thrilled with the Marines, but I checked anyway. Again I didn't qualify to serve, see my parents were married. Which in and of itself is not a disqualifying factor, however they were married to each other which is.

Coast Guard
While not really part of the military, I checked there anyway. Didn't pass the height requirements. In my day you had to be at least 6 feet tall so that if the dingy sank you could walk back to shore.

Navy
Intelligent - check. Hard working - check. Willing to commit to long periods of arduous service - check. I grew up in a small town in upstate New York and then my recruiter promised me that I'd get to travel this great land from Maine to California and Florida to Alaska. He told me I'd get to visit strange lands round the globe and have sex with many exotic women who knew how to set my hair on fire. I told him - "Where do I sign."​

To Petty Officer 1st Class Millington, Recruiter, Glens Falls NY, circa 1978 - THANK YOU, it was all true. Fair winds and following seas.

>>>>

Navy, I grew up four blocks from the Pacific, watching ships and small craft enter and leave SF Bay. As a child I wondered what was on the other side; I watched shows like Victory at Sea and Navy Log and was romanced by the adventure.

My hometown in upstate New York is actually the birthplace of the United States Navy (Benedict Arnold build a flotilla of ships to battle the British on Lake Champlaind), there was never any doubt.

BTW - My wife's from Pacifica, she was active duty when we met in Japan.

>>>>

Last edited:
Here's some free and unsolicited advice, Cain:

Understand that when you are in tech school you will be exposed to wave after wave of young females in the best shape of their life just arriving from Basic after being on lock down for 8 weeks or however long BMT is nowadays.

This is a rare opportunity that you do not want to miss as these chics are EXTREMELY horny.

Take advantage of this.

And wear a freakin' rubber, dude.

This is true also DO NOT GET MARRIED TO A GIRL FROM TECH SCHOOL OR BASIC TRAINING! Those marriages do not last, I met my ex wife in the laundry room at Basic training at Lackland AFB.

I joined the Air Force because the recruiter did a good job pitching me on the quality of life there, however now things are alot different, the Air Force deploys alot with the Army now and basic training has been extended from 6 weeks to 8 weeks. The golden days are over.

My father and both my uncles were 20-year men so when my turn came it had to be the Navy.

I never would have heard the end of it if I joined one of the others.

Besides, the others didn't interest me at all.

I joined the NAV because the Selective Service was after my sweet young ass and I thought going NAV would keep me out of the bush AND out of federal prison.

And then those those squid-like, deskbound bastards in NAVBUPERS assigned me to 3MARDIV.

So I ended up anchoring aweight with the leatherheads.

Last edited:
I joined the Navy because my father was in the Navy for 28 years. I grew up a Navy brat and remember all the trips to the piers at Norfolk Naval Station to either drop him off for a cruise or go to greet him returning from a cruise. We had close family friends that were also Navy. I actually got to serve on one of my many ships with a very dear and close personal friend of the family that made that particular duty station really cool. I wanted to make some of those Med cruises that my father had made and see some of the things I had heard him talking about for all of those years. Plus, my Dad was a Chief in the Navy and I wanted to become a Chief one day too. I did, and the very first set of anchors I wore on my collar were a set that had belonged to my father. I got a great college education from the Navy that was almost free and saw more of the world then I knew existed. It was a good choice for me and one I have never regretted.

Forum List

Back