Why cant people afford college tuition?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Nov 14, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/15/e...partner=ALTAVISTA1&pagewanted=print&position=

Oh im sure this is unrelated to it. :rolleyes:

This is one of my pet peeves. People that do little of anything for a school make 5 to 10 times as the teachers. Not just university presidents. Superintendents of local school districts here in PA make well over $100k a year for doing what? I feel that no teacher should make over $50k to $60k a year. (no offense to the teachers in the house) And i feel that superintendents and presidents damn sure shouldnt make anymore than about $40k. WTF do they even do?

Yet we have rising tuition costs for universities as well as public schools. Anyone know where the money goes? To these greedy fuckers.

2. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    insein,

thats your first problem...you need to find out exactly what these people do. my mother was on the school board of my high school (in PA, by the way) and so she became good friends with the Superindendent...who made at least that much.

he earned it...worked VERY hard for the school....they do a lot...at least the ones I have seen.

Just like CEOs...Presidents of Universities and Colleges only get paid the ridiculous salaries if they are bringing in the dough...through donors, contributors, business agreements, etc....if a president is making 800,000 you can bet your sweet bippy she is bringing the university some MAJOR moolah.

That being said...I still think that public universities paying that much money is disgusting...much like I think actors and sports figures get paid disgusting amounts of money for how little I feel they do...but again, its all about what you can bring in.

As a teacher...what do you have against us making high salaries...even with summers off the average teacher works more hours than the average businessman...

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I feel that superintendents, CEOs, etc. should get paid according to their managerial work. That's right, these people actually do work. They have a huge responsibilty - to run the university, to manage the business, to tend to the school district. The success or failure of that institution lies squarely on that person's shoulders, and for that, I think that they deserve the salaries the business/district/university is willing to pay.

4. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    They should do an "Office Space"-type house cleaning. Ask these people what they do, and have them outline it as to how they improve the business of the schools.

If the schools tuition is going up, and these university presidents are making that much money, then maybe they should look into the stuff that is sponsored by the school. I know that the U of M here just paid a 'diversity consultant' (if there is such a thing) $25k to teach the administrators how to teach diversity training...so, as they say on Garage Logic AM1500, KSTP ...DONT TELL ME WE DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i agree with you insein, this is a serious problem.

some of these folks may earn that money, but i don't think the majority of them do.

6. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

Unless your increasing the knowledge base through books, databases, aquiring licenses etc for the sutdents use at a school or school district or increasing the functionality of a school by maintaining the premises regularly through needed allocation of funds to CORRECT areas of need, then what more do these people do? Ive run organizations before. ITs alot of glad handing, keeping nicey nicey between people that dont like each other and making sure you have the right people within the org. Its hard work but anything over $60k a year is ridiculous. Most of these presidents and superintendents DONT do said work. They raise their salary every year and then raise tuition costs to cover it. Nothing different from the Senator that votes for a tax raise every chance he gets or the CEO that decides to take a bigger chunk of the pie for himself without producing more output.

They have nice cushy jobs and that they really cant be removed from except upon cases of EXTREME incompetence and they still want more money. To me if your making $150k or more a year, you need to be bringing in at least 80% of that to the particular organization you run.