why ballistic missile without nuclear warhead isnt useful?

dani67

Gold Member
Dec 21, 2015
iran
people saying ballistic missile without nuclear warhead isnt useful.
why ???
please answer be simple. my english isnt very good

why ???

Who are the "People"?

What is the source?

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote = " Warheads can include conventional high explosive..."

Tactical ballistic missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--------------------------------------

A ballistic missile can have multiple nuclear warheads, or a conventional warhead of only high explosive.

Thought #1. Launch one and see how fast other Governments go ape crazy.....all the way to Defcon 1. If it was another Government that launched one - See how fast Norad reacts. Remember "9/11" and Air Force jets hugging tree top level as they screeched across the earth at 300 knots?

As I understand, the United States has satellites specifically for detection of most Ballistic Missiles. Satellites above the earth, not counting radar.

------------------------------------

A ballistic missile can still carry a conventional warhead, and be tailored to the mission. A whole area of destruction and collateral damage = Nuclear warhead.

A conventional warhead would not be nuclear, would not leave radiation and contamination in the target area; and would be focused on one specific target. Less damage property wise, but the target is destroyed.

When you think Ballistic Missiles, think range. Think of something that is going to take about 10 to 15 minutes to get to the target. Intermediate Ballistic Missiles.....think 30 to 40 minutes to reach the target. Long range ICBMs.....country to country - could take a little longer.

Fire one into the sky, and see how fast the intel squirrels at Norad and the Pentagon go into high gear.

North American Aerospace Defense Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shadow 355

I don't think so.

The US and other nations have Ballistic Missile stockpiled. Missiles already bought and paid for.

Numerous ready to be placed on U.S Air Force aircraft.

Dozens ready for launch on U.S. Navy Ships.

More, below ground in the U.S. , ready for launch.

Shadow 355

A ballistic missile with conventional weapons is basically a scud missile. Very limited damage even with a large warhead. Even a 5,000 lb conventional bomb does 'relatively' small damage. Launch 1000 of them and a different story. But anyone that launches even one against the wrong enemy and you are going to have far worse raining down on you very quickly. The B-52 carries a 60,000 lb payload.

I don't think so.

The US and other nations have Ballistic Missile stockpiled. Missiles already bought and paid for.

Numerous ready to be placed on U.S Air Force aircraft.

Dozens ready for launch on U.S. Navy Ships.

More, below ground in the U.S. , ready for launch.

Shadow 355

Ballistic missiles are not carried by aircraft. The only ballistic missiles on Navy ships are on ballistic missile submarines.

Using a conventional warhead on an ICBM is like trying to shoot an elephant with a 22 caliber rifle. It will just piss them off!

why ???

Who are the "People"?

What is the source?

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote = " Warheads can include conventional high explosive..."

Tactical ballistic missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--------------------------------------

A ballistic missile can have multiple nuclear warheads, or a conventional warhead of only high explosive.

Thought #1. Launch one and see how fast other Governments go ape crazy.....all the way to Defcon 1. If it was another Government that launched one - See how fast Norad reacts. Remember "9/11" and Air Force jets hugging tree top level as they screeched across the earth at 300 knots?

As I understand, the United States has satellites specifically for detection of most Ballistic Missiles. Satellites above the earth, not counting radar.

------------------------------------

A ballistic missile can still carry a conventional warhead, and be tailored to the mission. A whole area of destruction and collateral damage = Nuclear warhead.

A conventional warhead would not be nuclear, would not leave radiation and contamination in the target area; and would be focused on one specific target. Less damage property wise, but the target is destroyed.

When you think Ballistic Missiles, think range. Think of something that is going to take about 10 to 15 minutes to get to the target. Intermediate Ballistic Missiles.....think 30 to 40 minutes to reach the target. Long range ICBMs.....country to country - could take a little longer.

Fire one into the sky, and see how fast the intel squirrels at Norad and the Pentagon go into high gear.

North American Aerospace Defense Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shadow 355

ballistic missile with nuclear warhead is faster.true? why ?
ballistic missile with nuclear warhead is harder to destroy . true? why ?
ballistic missile without nuclear warhead isnt useful because of Economic reason . true? why?

ballistic missile without nuclear warhead isnt useful because of Economic reason . true? why?

upload_2016-4-4_18-27-42.jpeg

Ballistic Missiles with Nuclear warheads is not harder to destroy - read the US Navys Ballistic Missile Defense & related material.

Ballistic Missiles without nuclear warheads are useful.

Ballistic Missiles that are strictly conventional can be faster due to less weight of payload.....and less drag. Either way the weights of Ballistic Missiles differ based on size and weight of payload ; and due to that there are short - intermediate and long range Ballistic Missiles ; so a Nuclear Ballistic Missile..... is not necessarily the fastest.

Shadow 355

View attachment 70234

Ballistic Missiles with Nuclear warheads is not harder to destroy - read the US Navys Ballistic Missile Defense & related material.

Ballistic Missiles that are strictly conventional can be faster due to less weight of payload.....and less drag. Either way the weights of Ballistic Missiles differ based on size and weight of payload ; and due to that there are short - intermediate and long range Ballistic Missiles ; so a Nuclear Ballistic Missile..... is not necessarily the fastest.

Shadow 355

Admiral Rockwell Tory said :

Using a conventional warhead on an ICBM is like trying to shoot an elephant with a 22 caliber rifle. It will just piss them off!

what is your answer ?

+ what is your opinion about last iran Ballistic Missile test ?

A ballistic missile with conventional weapons is basically a scud missile. Very limited damage even with a large warhead. Even a 5,000 lb conventional bomb does 'relatively' small damage. Launch 1000 of them and a different story. But anyone that launches even one against the wrong enemy and you are going to have far worse raining down on you very quickly. The B-52 carries a 60,000 lb payload.

That 60,000 payload would be filled with hallmark cards that say

" I wuv you Ali Khameni

XXX0000

Your Butt buddy,

The Boy King Messiah Obama"

Ballistic missiles are not carried by aircraft.

Wrong.

I did the research years ago for a fiction book I have written.

Air-launched ballistic missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I cant find the article, but I did some research for a book I have written, and an F/A-18 can launch a nuclear ballistic missile.....something like 20 miles from the target area.

But I cannot find the research now.

Shadow 355

Ballistic refers to the fact that there is a boost phase under power, but unpowered for most of the flight. What you are referring to is a stand-off weapon which allows the aircraft to remain at a distance from the intended target.

I can see you did not read your link that you provided, because that system was NEVER operational. It was obsolete before it started.

View attachment 70234

Shadow 355

Exactly what type of ballistic missile are you referencing? The US military has no conventional ballistic missiles of which I am aware. That mission was handled by air-launched, ship-launched, and submarine launched cruise missiles decades ago.

Obviously cost is a factor but another would be weapons load, a converted Ohio SSGN carries 154 Tomahawks with a payload of 1000 lbs apiece and a contingent of Special Operations troops, an unconverted Ohio SSBN carries 24 Trident ICBM's.

The only upside to the ICBM is range.

Obviously cost is a factor but another would be weapons load, a converted Ohio SSGN carries 154 Tomahawks with a payload of 1000 lbs apiece and a contingent of Special Operations troops, an unconverted Ohio SSBN carries 24 Trident ICBM's.

Tomahawks are subsonic and are not ballistic missiles. They fly at about 550 knots, so getting to the target takes time, even for those shorter distances.

Tomahawks are subsonic and are not ballistic missiles. They fly at about 550 knots, so getting to the target takes time, even for those shorter distances.

Correct.

And Ballistic Missiles fly in an arc essentially ; with am upward trajectory.

Shadow 355

View attachment 70234

Shadow 355

Admiral Rockwell Tory said :

what is your answer ?

+ what is your opinion about last iran Ballistic Missile test ?

I see there is a confusion of an ICBM and a Ballistic Missile. It's fairly easy to build a Ballistic Missile since the guidance can be done by almost any nation. The range is usually from 30 miles to a couple of hundred. Now, the ICBM can only be build by a handful of nations. And it's range is anywhere on the Earth.

You may see a conventional warhead on a BM used for a specific target or just to harrass. But the cost of an ICBM is so prohibitive that it will never be considered.

Forum List

Back