Why are we ignoring simple, painless debt solution?

The effects of deflation that would derive from the dissolved of debt created by the QE2's purchasing of Treasury bills would be far outweighed by the immediate positive impact of reducing national debt by over $1 trillion dollars.

The effects of the inflation specifically created by the QE2 program had a much more profound effect, adding to the already growing inflation, and devaluing of the dollar.

But you are overlooking to fact that the law stipulates that the FED only keep enough revenue collected on maturing Treasury bills as to off set operating costs, returning the vast percentage of those interest payments to the Treasury. The Treasury receives 90% of the tax money used to pay those T-bills.

Dissolving that debt would not have the profound negative impact that you are suggesting. There is a fundamental difference between the Federal Reserve's QE2 T Bills and the T bills held by foreign countries and Americans alike, in that only the FED returns the profits directly back to the Treasury and only the FED has the ability to fabricate money at will.

The QE program itself resulted in much more devaluing that this action would take.

If QE was inflationary - as I believe it was - then the dissolution of QE is deflationary. It also has the affect of raising interest rates. Deflation when there is 9% unemployment is not good for the economy. Raising interest rates during a recession is extremely bad policy. There is no reason at all to believe that this would be positive for the economy. It would lead to tight monetary conditions and deflation, and cause investors to lose even more confidence in the dollar.

That would depend on where the Fed is collecting it from and how much the Fed is paying on deposits.

Why does the source of Fed income impact shareholder dividends?

Because if it's their own deposits the bank is getting paid 1%.

What does the rate the "Fed pays on deposits" have to do with what the dividends?

The rate paid on the deposits determines in part how much the Fed has to pay in dividends.

This is simply a fallacy. The interest paid on those maturing Treasury bills does not, absolutely by law, effect the bottom line of FED stockholders.

The Federal Reserve is obligated by law to return those payments minus costs needed for administrative costs.

The stakeholders are not going to lose. Just think about how that money that was used to purchase that debt originated. Just like that process did not harm the stakeholders, all of which are member banks to begin with, nor would its repeal.

What does the rate the "Fed pays on deposits" have to do with what the dividends?

The rate paid on the deposits determines in part how much the Fed has to pay in dividends.

This is simply a fallacy. The interest paid on those maturing Treasury bills does not, absolutely by law, effect the bottom line of FED stockholders.

How can the interest paid (an expense to the FED) not impact the value of the divided paid by the FED?

By the way, I'm not guaranteeing I'm right;)

They could also sell their gold....

"In September [2010], Treasury completed its latest audit, showing that U.S. gold reserves total 9,300 tons with a market value of $320 billion, Thorson said. The recent run-up in gold prices -- the precious metal is trading at about $1,515 an ounce -- puts the market value at $340 billion as of Wednesday, according to Thorson's testimony. He added that each gold bar weighs about 27 pounds and is worth around $500,000."

Ron Paul wants gold at Fort Knox audited - Jun. 24, 2011

The effects of deflation that would derive from the dissolved of debt created by the QE2's purchasing of Treasury bills would be far outweighed by the immediate positive impact of reducing national debt by over $1 trillion dollars.

The effects of the inflation specifically created by the QE2 program had a much more profound effect, adding to the already growing inflation, and devaluing of the dollar.

But you are overlooking to fact that the law stipulates that the FED only keep enough revenue collected on maturing Treasury bills as to off set operating costs, returning the vast percentage of those interest payments to the Treasury. The Treasury receives 90% of the tax money used to pay those T-bills.

Dissolving that debt would not have the profound negative impact that you are suggesting. There is a fundamental difference between the Federal Reserve's QE2 T Bills and the T bills held by foreign countries and Americans alike, in that only the FED returns the profits directly back to the Treasury and only the FED has the ability to fabricate money at will.

The QE program itself resulted in much more devaluing that this action would take.

If QE was inflationary - as I believe it was - then the dissolution of QE is deflationary. It also has the affect of raising interest rates. Deflation when there is 9% unemployment is not good for the economy. Raising interest rates during a recession is extremely bad policy. There is no reason at all to believe that this would be positive for the economy. It would lead to tight monetary conditions and deflation, and cause investors to lose even more confidence in the dollar.

The Federal Reserve is constantly bemoaning the negative consequences of deflation, but how would anyone know when deflation has not occurred in any great significance in modern history. Quite the opposite has occurred, inflation has eroded the value and purchasing power of the dollar decade after decade without incomes, specifically at present, not rising with the increased prices associated.

But if that is the argument against taking this action, the it should be weighed against the consequences of not taking this action and having the government continue in the political theatrics of the debt ceiling debate.

Deflation, in the face of constant and continued inflation, would not have the dire impacts that you are insinuating.

The Federal Reserve is constantly bemoaning the negative consequences of deflation, but how would anyone know when deflation has not occurred in any great significance in modern history.

Hong Kong went into a six year period of deflation after the Asian Tigers collapsed. They were the slowest of the Tigers to recover due, in large part, to that deflationary environment while other nations devalued.

How can the interest paid (an expense to the FED) not impact the value of the divided paid by the FED?

Listen, I'm not guaranteeing everything I'm say is 100% correct either, when faced with contradictory evidence I will concede I'm wrong. I learn a lot on this message board, and that is something I thank people for constantly.

90% of the interest payments paid to the Federal Reserve is returned to the Treasury. From all that I have read that is the law and how the FED specifically set up the QE2 program. Dissolving that debt literally would not take any food out of anyone's mouth or put anyone on the street.

What everyone is not understanding here is that the FED is effectively a fourth branch of the government with God-like influence over every aspect of America's economy, but unlike the other three branches there is no real checks and balances.

Look what happened when Congress demanded the FED release who received TAARP funds and how much. It took a Supreme Court ruling to force them to finally release that information, and it turns out foreign central banks profited most from this deceptive program. Once the incredible power of the FED is understood, the idea that the stockholders, member banks, are somehow going to suffer becomes blatantly absurd.

But if that is the argument against taking this action, the it should be weighed against the consequences of not taking this action and having the government continue in the political theatrics of the debt ceiling debate.

^that's a very interesting thought / observation. It's an interesting conversation all around.

"It is through inflation that wealth is funneled from the average man to the well-connected political and financial elites, which is why they love to propagandize in favor of inflation, and against deflation, which in contrast rewards savers and penalizes debtors, and governments most of all, they being the largest debtors in the modern era.

I am much more scared of Bigfoot and alien abduction than I am of an appreciating fiat dollar riding in on a unicorn!" Congressman Ron Paul (The Myth of Contemporary Deflation | Ron Paul 2012 | Sound Money, Peace and Liberty)

The media has reminded the American people several times throughout this debt limit debate that the national debt currently stands at $14 trillion, of which conservatively $1 trillion is held by the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve obtained that debt through its complicated quantitative easing programs (Quantitative easing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) –more specifically QE2-- but it is debt that the government essentially owes itself.

Why?

“The Treasury pays the interest on the debt on behalf of the U.S. government to the Fed, which in turn returns 90 percent of the payments it gets back to the Treasury. Nonetheless, that $1.7 trillion in U.S. bonds that the Fed owns, despite the shell game of payments, is still counted in the debt ceiling number, which caps that amount of total federal debt at $14.3 trillion.” (Debt Ceiling: Could Ron Paul's Plan Save Us From Disaster, twice? - The Curious Capitalist - TIME.com)

Neither Republican, Democrat nor the media, despite all telling Americans that Armageddon will occur if something isn’t done, have brought up the fact that Congress could simply tell the Federal Reserve to dissolve the Treasury Bills it currently holds, effectively reducing the national debt by $1 trillion.

Unlike all other proposals this one doesn’t endanger anyone’s retirement or pension because it is money that was literally fabricated from thin air.

I believe we can all agree, from right to left, that this debt is in fact phony debt. Even the progressive/leftist ‘The New Republic’ (Ron Paul) agrees that this is a painless solution that would reduce the debt by $1 trillion and would give Congress needed time to address this issue.

Of course this isn’t my idea—I wish I were so clever—it is the proposal that Congressman Ron Paul has been pushing since the beginning of this whole debt ceiling debate.

Why don't you try it on a small scale googie? Tear up those phony credit card bills and maybe the car payment book. Drop us a line from federal prison and let us know how you make out.

The media has reminded the American people several times throughout this debt limit debate that the national debt currently stands at $14 trillion, of which conservatively $1 trillion is held by the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve obtained that debt through its complicated quantitative easing programs (Quantitative easing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) –more specifically QE2-- but it is debt that the government essentially owes itself.

Why?

“The Treasury pays the interest on the debt on behalf of the U.S. government to the Fed, which in turn returns 90 percent of the payments it gets back to the Treasury. Nonetheless, that $1.7 trillion in U.S. bonds that the Fed owns, despite the shell game of payments, is still counted in the debt ceiling number, which caps that amount of total federal debt at $14.3 trillion.” (Debt Ceiling: Could Ron Paul's Plan Save Us From Disaster, twice? - The Curious Capitalist - TIME.com)

Neither Republican, Democrat nor the media, despite all telling Americans that Armageddon will occur if something isn’t done, have brought up the fact that Congress could simply tell the Federal Reserve to dissolve the Treasury Bills it currently holds, effectively reducing the national debt by $1 trillion.

Unlike all other proposals this one doesn’t endanger anyone’s retirement or pension because it is money that was literally fabricated from thin air.

I believe we can all agree, from right to left, that this debt is in fact phony debt. Even the progressive/leftist ‘The New Republic’ (Ron Paul) agrees that this is a painless solution that would reduce the debt by $1 trillion and would give Congress needed time to address this issue.

Of course this isn’t my idea—I wish I were so clever—it is the proposal that Congressman Ron Paul has been pushing since the beginning of this whole debt ceiling debate.

Why don't you try it on a small scale googie? Tear up those phony credit card bills and maybe the car payment book. Drop us a line from federal prison and let us know how you make out.

Really?

Do my creditors return 90% of my payments back to me, by law only able to keep a percentage needed for operating costs? Nor is taking this action illegal, in fact it is within the law.

Could you perhaps address what is factually incorrect in the OP?

Why?

And if I did decide to take that irresponsible action I would not end up in federal prison. I could tell all my creditors to go to hell, default on my car loan and not ever be arrested. We don't have a debtors prison in America. So you're point really doesn't hold any water. :cuckoo:

The Federal Reserve is constantly bemoaning the negative consequences of deflation, but how would anyone know when deflation has not occurred in any great significance in modern history. Quite the opposite has occurred, inflation has eroded the value and purchasing power of the dollar decade after decade without incomes, specifically at present, not rising with the increased prices associated.

Deflation, in the face of constant and continued inflation, would not have the dire impacts that you are insinuating.

The reason why we have inflation is solely because the Fed is printing money and keeping rates at 0. That is the ONLY reason. The forces in the economy - asset price implosion, debt destruction - are very deflationary. What you are advocating is taking away the tool that is being used to fight deflation, and in fact, instituting pro-cyclical policy by having the Fed extinguish its balance sheet. It is akin to the Fed raising the Fund's rate in 1931, or raising the reserve requirements in 1937. It's bad policy.

Second, there is something fundamentally wrong with allowing banks to profit off of the American tax payer from money that is literally--without question-- simply printed. Money is printed and used to purchase Treasury bills and the American people, my children and grandchildren, must pay interest on those bills. The banks are profiting off of simply fabricating money.

The suggestion that the stakeholders would lose money is absurd once logically assessed.

What banks profit off the American taxpayer "from money that is literally--without question-- simply printed"?

That would depend on where the Fed is collecting it from and how much the Fed is paying on deposits.

Banks are not paid 1% by the Fed.

How much the Fed must pay?
Or how much the Fed has availble to pay?

"If QE was inflationary - as I believe it was - then the dissolution of QE is deflationary"

The dissolution of QE would be selling the Treasuries and extinguishing the proceeds.
Simply "canceling" the Treasuries would be inflationary.
If inflation ticks up, the Fed can sell bonds and extinguish the proceeds to shrink the money supply.
Cancel the bonds and what can the Fed do to shrink the money supply?

We had horrible deflation during the Great Depression.
Japan has had deflation, and very poor growth, since 1990.

Listen, I'm not guaranteeing everything I'm say is 100% correct either, when faced with contradictory evidence I will concede I'm wrong. I learn a lot on this message board, and that is something I thank people for constantly.

90% of the interest payments paid to the Federal Reserve is returned to the Treasury. From all that I have read that is the law and how the FED specifically set up the QE2 program. Dissolving that debt literally would not take any food out of anyone's mouth or put anyone on the street.

What everyone is not understanding here is that the FED is effectively a fourth branch of the government with God-like influence over every aspect of America's economy, but unlike the other three branches there is no real checks and balances.

Look what happened when Congress demanded the FED release who received TAARP funds and how much. It took a Supreme Court ruling to force them to finally release that information, and it turns out foreign central banks profited most from this deceptive program. Once the incredible power of the FED is understood, the idea that the stockholders, member banks, are somehow going to suffer becomes blatantly absurd.

Why would the Fed release info on TARP funds?
TARP is a Treasury program.
Foreign central banks?
Are you talking about Central Bank liquidity swaps?
Those were announced as they occurred.

Forum List

Back