Why are the debating dems speaking Spanish and not Chinese

Any other parts of the Bill of Rights you want to throw out?
Stop trying to be cute, it makes you appear to be ignorant.

It's just common sense, if people can't read and understand English, how are they supposed to even read and properly comprehend the Bill of Rights, much less our laws?

Do you comprehend the First Amendment?

The first Amendment was written in our national language. English. It probably loses some of its subtleties when translated into foreign languages like Spanish.

What do you have in mind when you say "national language"? You realize we have no legally prescribed national language, right?
The national language of the USA is undeniably English, for you to pretend otherwise with these silly arguments, is just ludicrous.

I gave you plenty of chances to get to your point, but it's obvious you don't have one. So I'm done wasting time on you.

Read carefully: there is no official language of the United States.

It is both a courtesy and the best way to communicate with a person who speaks little or no English.
Speaking Spanish is nothing but pandering. What about the new immigrants who speak a language besides Spanish? What about a courtesy towards them, why are they being left out? Votes.

Forty million people speaking Spanish in this country, is just a reminder that our immigration system has been freaking broken for decades.
People that immigrate to the US do not abandon their native language. English will always remain their second language. No matter how long they live in the US, they will still welcome people speaking to them in their native tongue.

Assimilation into a culture means you become multicultural. It does not mean you give up your native culture. In my extended family I have several immigrants that have lived in the US for many years. They all speak English but they still retain their native language and culture. That's just way it is.
I know, I'm married to a foreign born person.

Just because you grew up speaking another language and become a naturalized US citizen, does not mean you don't bother to learn to improve so you are better able to speak and comprehend English.

Why the false narrative? I never suggested or even hinted that people should abandon their native culture or language.
That was a general comment. I didn't mean for it to be directed specifically at you.

At think most immigrants do attempt to learn the language. However, I suspect that most undocumented immigrants do not since many plan to return home at some point and integrating into the culture can be risky. They believe the more people they associate with the more likely they will be turned in to ICE.

I lived in Europe for some time. Learning the language made life so much easier, I really don't understand why people would not learn the language of the country they live in particularly in the US where most people speak only English.

Last edited:
That was a general comment. I didn't mean for it to be directed specifically at you.
Of course you directed your straw dog comment to me, I was the only person you were responding to in that post.

Not only does that silliness about American citizens expecting foreign immigrants to completely abandon their language and culture not apply to me, I can't think of anyone it does apply to. .

Why not smoke a peace pipe and do a rain dance for the Native American vote?
I don't know about if it's insulting to Mexican's but it's pretty damn insulting to me. Do you think anyone spoke German for my family? It's clear pandering by the left for the Latino vote.
Both Bush and Obama gave speeches that were at least partially in Spanish as have other presidents. You speak to your audience in the language they are most likely to understand. However, politicians do it in order to establish a connection.
Again nobody connected with my family by speaking German. Nobody did it for my husbands family either. Don't recall Politician's speaking Yiddish, Greek or Russian. The point is we are an English speaking country and the politicians constituency should learn the language. Perfect example is my daughters mother and father in law. Been in this country for about a decade and yet her mother in law STILL can't speak English. Not even broken English. Meanwhile my German Great Grandparents spoke German,Polish and English and probably some Russian. Imagine that. I don't have a problem with Spanish. My grandson speaks english and some Spanish and I encourage him to do so because our family is slowly becoming Spanish anyway. I actually think it should be taught along with English in the school system from kindergarten as a second language. But when politicians speak it should be in America's first language, English. Catering to one group when you are a country of many groups shows bias. Politician's shouldn't be biased because their job is to serve all the people all of the time.
I think a lot of the problem is new languages come very easy for some people and it's much harder for others. My granddaughter speaks fluent Spanish as well as French. Her brother failed Spanish in high school and had to retake it and after two years, he had learned practically nothing. Their father spoke at least 3 languages.

For years we had a Brazilian maid. Although she had lived in US for many years, she could hardly speak a word of English. Her daughter who was born in Brazil speaks perfect English.

Last edited:
It is both a courtesy and the best way to communicate with a person who speaks little or no English.
Speaking Spanish is nothing but pandering. What about the new immigrants who speak a language besides Spanish? What about a courtesy towards them, why are they being left out? Votes.

Forty million people speaking Spanish in this country, is just a reminder that our immigration system has been freaking broken for decades.
People that immigrate to the US do not abandon their native language. English will always remain their second language. No matter how long they live in the US, they will still welcome people speaking to them in their native tongue.

Assimilation into a culture means you become multicultural. It does not mean you give up your native culture. In my extended family I have several immigrants that have lived in the US for many years. They all speak English but they still retain their native language and culture. That's just way it is.
I know, I'm married to a foreign born person.

Just because you grew up speaking another language and become a naturalized US citizen, does not mean you don't bother to learn to improve so you are better able to speak and comprehend English.

Why the false narrative? I never suggested or even hinted that people should abandon their native culture or language.
... I suspect that most undocumented immigrants do not ....

That is not correct.

Why not smoke a peace pipe and do a rain dance for the Native American vote?
I don't know about if it's insulting to Mexican's but it's pretty damn insulting to me. Do you think anyone spoke German for my family? It's clear pandering by the left for the Latino vote.
Both Bush and Obama gave speeches that were at least partially in Spanish as have other presidents. You speak to your audience in the language they are most likely to understand. However, politicians do it in order to establish a connection.
Again nobody connected with my family by speaking German. Nobody did it for my husbands family either. Don't recall Politician's speaking Yiddish, Greek or Russian. The point is we are an English speaking country and the politicians constituency should learn the language. Perfect example is my daughters mother and father in law. Been in this country for about a decade and yet her mother in law STILL can't speak English. Not even broken English. Meanwhile my German Great Grandparents spoke German,Polish and English and probably some Russian. Imagine that. I don't have a problem with Spanish. My grandson speaks english and some Spanish and I encourage him to do so because our family is slowly becoming Spanish anyway. I actually think it should be taught along with English in the school system from kindergarten as a second language. But when politicians speak it should be in America's first language, English. Catering to one group when you are a country of many groups shows bias. Politician's shouldn't be biased because their job is to serve all the people all of the time.
I think a lot of the problem is new languages come very easy for some people and it's much harder for others. .....

That’s sort of a cop-out.

Of course you directed your straw dog comment to me, I was the only person you were responding to in that post.

Not only does that silliness about American citizens expecting foreign immigrants to completely abandon their language and culture not apply to me, I can't think of anyone it does apply to. .
Surely, you are not so naive as to believe that all replies to your posts are meant just for you. Every post is available to every member for comment and they are free say whatever they chose.

Surely, you are not so naive as to believe that all replies to your posts are meant just for you. Every post is available to every member for comment and they are free say whatever they chose.
Nope. But the replies that just quote me, I think are a direct response to me.

If you are going to reply to my posts, quote them, and reply to me specifically, don't throw in a stupid straw dog comment and then get all dramatic with me, when I call you out for it.

It's just common sense, if people can't read and understand English, how are they supposed to even read and properly comprehend the Bill of Rights, much less our laws?

The first Amendment was written in our national language. English. It probably loses some of its subtleties when translated into foreign languages like Spanish.

What do you have in mind when you say "national language"? You realize we have no legally prescribed national language, right?
The national language of the USA is undeniably English, for you to pretend otherwise with these silly arguments, is just ludicrous.

I gave you plenty of chances to get to your point, but it's obvious you don't have one. So I'm done wasting time on you.

English is our national language. Spanish isnt. Democrats are campaigning in a foreign language.

There is a national language English. And English is the de facto official language.

Otherwise why does English not satisfy foreign language requirements for college while Spanish does?

guide.berkeley.edu/undergraduate/colleges-schools/letters-science/foreign-language-requirement/

Foreign Language Requirement-Harvard

Information Regarding the Fulfillment of the Foreign Language Requirement | Your Path to Princeton

Foreign Language Requirement < Columbia College | Columbia University

Stanford Foreign Language Requirement | Language Center

Foreign Language Requirement UCLA

Foreign Literature & Languages - Dartmouth

And so on. Brown university calls the United States, England, Ireland "English language countries" and so adds a requirement when studying abroad there.

Nobody ever questioned this before you leftists came along. A language didnt have to be passed into law before it was the national language. More of the liberal Pharaseism where every move at defense is blocked by a law to codify reality.

Did you know England doesnt have a de jeur official language? Nor Australia and New Zealand. Spanish is a foreign language. English is the national language of the United States. 32 states have made it the official language de jeur and it is de facto the official language in every state.

The Anglosphere is a group of English-speaking nations that share common cultural and historical ties to the United Kingdom...Most definitions include Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The term can also encompass the Republic of Ireland and English-speaking Caribbean countries such as The Bahamas, Barbados, and Jamaica.
Anglosphere - Wikipedia

The US Congress considers Spanish a foreign language and English our native language.
Advancing International and Foreign Language Education Act (H.R. 2562)

The Library of Congress calls Spanish a foreign language
Foreign Language Services (Federal Research Division: Customized Research and Analytical Services, Library of Congress)

The Supreme Court issues all decisions and proceedings in English. Spanish is specifically called a "foreign language" while English is considered the official language.
Foreign Translations - Supreme Court of the United States

And I could go on. Stop your liberal, puritanical,Pharisaical straining at a gnat. When Democrats campaign in Spanish they campaign in a foreign language..because their constituency is foreign and opposed to Americans.

English is our national language. Spanish isnt. Democrats are campaigning in a foreign language.

English is the dominant language in the US and always will be, but we do NOT have an official language. Candidates will pander (or appeal if you will) to would-be voters in any way they can.

Languages other than English shouldn't scare you so much.

You mean "foreign languages" when yright?

English is the dominant language in the US and always will be, but we do NOT have an official language. Candidates will pander (or appeal if you will) to would-be voters in any way they can.

By “other than English” you mean foreign languages”?

You mean "foreign languages" when yright?

By “other than English” you mean foreign languages”?

Got a real hard on about this, huh?

Forum List

Back