Why are the Bush tax cuts bad?

Can you explain to me why the Bush tax cuts are bad? I wish to try to understand this. I thought they focused on the middle income and upwards.

Thanks.

They weren't the 15% rate, the lowest rate at the time was not reduced at all unlike it had been presented right up till passage from conference committee they never said they were not going to lower the lowest rate by even one penny and instead created a new tax bracket, imagine that the party that hated the progressive tax system, hated giving working class people a fair break even more.

But to answer your question really Alan Greenspan says it best:

“The most recent projections from OMB and CBO indicate that, if current policies remain in place, the total unified surplus will reach about $800 billion in fiscal year 2010, including an on-budget surplus of almost $500 billion. Moreover, the admittedly quite uncertain long-term budget exercises released by the CBO last October maintain an implicit on-budget surplus under baseline assumptions well past 2030 despite the budgetary pressures from the aging of the baby-boom generation, especially on the major health programs.

These most recent projections, granted their tentativeness, nonetheless make clear that the highly desirable goal of paying off the federal debt is in reach and, indeed, would occur well before the end of the decade under baseline assumptions. This is in marked contrast to the perception of a year ago, when the elimination of the debt did not appear likely until the next decade. But continuing to run surpluses beyond the point at which we reach zero or near-zero federal debt brings to center stage the critical longer-term fiscal policy issue of whether the federal government should accumulate large quantities of private (more technically, nonfederal) assets.

At zero debt, the continuing unified budget surpluses now projected under current law imply a major accumulation of private assets by the federal government. Such an accumulation would make the federal government a significant factor in our nation's capital markets and would risk significant distortion in the allocation of capital to its most productive uses. Such a distortion could be quite costly, as it is our extraordinarily effective allocation process that has enabled such impressive increases in productivity and standards of living despite a relatively low domestic saving rate.”

“Returning to the broader fiscal picture, I continue to believe, as I have testified previously, that all else being equal, a declining level of federal debt is desirable because it holds down long-term real interest rates, thereby lowering the cost of capital and elevating private investment. The rapid capital deepening that has occurred in the U.S. economy in recent years is a testament to these benefits. But the sequence of upward revisions to the budget surplus projections for several years now has reshaped the choices and opportunities before us.
Indeed, in almost any credible baseline scenario, short of a major and prolonged economic contraction, the full benefits of debt reduction are now achieved well before the end of this decade--a prospect that did not seem reasonable only a year or even six months ago. Thus, the emerging key fiscal policy need is now to address the implications of maintaining surpluses beyond the point at which publicly held debt is effectively eliminated.”

Testimony of Chairman Alan Greenspan
Current fiscal issues
Before the Committee on the Budget, U.S. House of Representatives
March 2, 2001

What's worse is America funded two expensive wars during the Bush tax cuts which meant the money to fund these wars had to be taken from elsewhere, like building and maintaning America's infrastructure. Iraq is screwed, the American people were screwed. Haliburton was the only winner here. Coincidence?

Idiot, all those shitheads who supported the Iraq war weren't doing it for the sake of Haliburton. They were doing it for Israel. They are traders to America, willing to sacrifice American freedom, treasure, and blood in service of a rogue and anti-Christian foreign state.

Its not that the Bush tax cuts are bad. Its the theory of supply side economic that these tax cuts adhere to.

In theory tax cuts allow more money to accumulate in peoples hands. These monies are supposed to allow a "trickle down" effect as to where wealth moves from those who have it to people who work for a living.

this theory has not panned out at all, never have, never will. If it did, Bush's last term and Obama's first term would have seen some job growth. We all know, this never happened.

You can find numbers backing these facts up if you like.

Keep in mind, after Reagen used similar tax cuts he had to raise taxes to offset the growing debt. Clinton also raised taxes and we know what sort of growth we had under Clinton
here is your problem.

We did see job growth. Simply because the job growth did not go on forever does not mean that there was no job growth..

Additionally, the Bush tax cuts were for everyone. The fact that the lower 50% don't pay taxes does not mean that everyone who did pay taxes did not benefit from them.

BTW...trickle down does work. I realize you won't believe it, so I won't bother with explaining how it works.

Suffice it to say that the questions that need to be asked are not if we should cut taxes.. But what should we use taxes for.

I hear often that if you cut taxes, then you must be against cops, fireman, and teachers.

Okay....combined, they will account for roughly 300 billion dollars....With the Military, we have another 400 billion.

That is 900 billion dollars. We take in roughly 3 trillion dollars.

Seems to Me that we run a surplus with enough to pay down the debt in 5 years.

What say you?

Can you explain to me why the Bush tax cuts are bad? I wish to try to understand this. I thought they focused on the middle income and upwards.

Thanks.

They are so bad that Obama and the Democrats refuse to let them expire.

The economic realities are not making the ouster of President Obama easy enough for these nutters. The Bush tax cuts were a political maneuver. They resulted in upward wealth redistribution and increased debt.

Tax cuts resulted in upward wealth redistribution:badgrin:.

Without those tax cuts we'd have a lower GDP.

The Republicans failed to follow through with adequate reductions in spending and wrote a blank check for their unfunded Iraqi War - to be paid for by future American generations, including interest.

The economic realities are not making the ouster of President Obama easy enough for these nutters. The Bush tax cuts were a political maneuver. They resulted in upward wealth redistribution and increased debt.

More money came in from high income earners after the tax cuts than before. If you really want to soak the rich, lower their tax rates.

Bush tax cuts bad? Not if you are in the top 2% of the nations wealthy. Matter of fact, they have never had it so good.

All things in perspective.

The "trickle down" theory works so well we have had the tax cuts for many years now and the unemployment rate got worse. Go figure. And now they want to do more of the same.

Questions rethugs; how much of the nations income and wealth do you think should be controlled by the very weathiest Americans? 50% I guess isn't enough. So how much?

More money came in from high income earners after the tax cuts than before. If you really want to soak the rich, lower their tax rates.

What a stupid fuk. The ultra wealthy kept acquiring more and more wealth. Of course they paid more in taxes. Even you should be able to figure that out.

The Bush tax cuts were justified by Bush himself on the argument that because we had a surplus,

we were being overtaxed.

That was foolish. Because we had a surplus, it meant that tax revenues could pay down the debt. As soon as Bush cut taxes, any chance of paying down any debt was gone.

That is what to keep in mind when the Republicans start reminding us of how large our outstanding debt is.

What a stupid fuk. The ultra wealthy kept acquiring more and more wealth. Of course they paid more in taxes. Even you should be able to figure that out.

OK, so you dont want the wealthy to pay more in taxes. You just want them to be poorer.
fuck you, you Marxist piece of shit.

Thanks.
You don't cut taxes while increasing spending by the hundreds of billions to trillion is just 1 logical answer....

Also, they were heavily weighted so that my girlfriend got a $45,000 dollar tax cut while social security, paid by the working class, was being used to mask the budget deficits...

If tax cuts had to be given, most all of the tax break money should have gone towards the working class, whose SS surplus money was being used to pay for/mask what income taxes should have been paying for.... the supposed projected surplus in tax monies that Bush wanted to give back ''to the people paying taxes'', was OUR social Security surpluses, of which wealthy people like romney, didn't even pay...yet disproportionally got as a tax cut...

Forum List

Back