Why are Left & Right so hard to reconcile?

A good leader recognizes the reality of basic human needs, while seeking out the common interests of all of the clusters, and using those common interests to forge cooperation. A not so good leader seeks out the differences and exploits those differences to gain power and influence, but in so doing, destroys the cooperation necessary to bring all people along.

@Errand7899

Right on target here!

^^ This is why

Not everyone compromises that in which they firmly believe.
You've been trained very well..

The real answer is kinda long winded. From the media to the internet. To the fringe pushing their agendas. To the sensationalism of the headlines. That is why you see people drawing lines in the sand. They have been pushed slowly towards what we have now. The other side is the enemy, evil, end wording etc.
Everyone is a hitler now and we don't comprise with hitlers. People have also found now they don't have to back down because there are no consequences for their actions or opinions. Everyone's opinion is now valid and should be given the time to think over.
The reality is not every opinion is valid and we should ignore the extreme on both sides..we are literally destroying everything because we can't be seen as weak.
See Obama and the gov. Of new jersey who's name escapes me. They put politics aside because of a hurricane and the right found that offensive. They put politics above the common goal of helping people..The left does this as well.. they will shun someone if they agree with the right on something.

It's sad.

It IS sad. It is a blight upon our nation. I don't necessarily blame the common sheep who are so easily led into hyper-partisanship. I blame the "leaders" who exploit them for political gain - at the expense of our nation.

Why are people who rob banks, so hard to reconcile with people who do normal withdrawls and deposits?

Surely they can find a middle ground. :badgrin:

Why are people who rob banks, so hard to reconcile with people who do normal withdrawls and deposits?

Surely they can find a middle ground. :badgrin:

They can - as long as the bank robbers can grasp the error of their ways while they are in jail.

^^ This is why

The real answer is kinda long winded. From the media to the internet. To the fringe pushing their agendas. To the sensationalism of the headlines. That is why you see people drawing lines in the sand. They have been pushed slowly towards what we have now. The other side is the enemy, evil, end wording etc.
Everyone is a hitler now and we don't comprise with hitlers. People have also found now they don't have to back down because there are no consequences for their actions or opinions. Everyone's opinion is now valid and should be given the time to think over.
The reality is not every opinion is valid and we should ignore the extreme on both sides..we are literally destroying everything because we can't be seen as weak.
See Obama and the gov. Of new jersey who's name escapes me. They put politics aside because of a hurricane and the right found that offensive. They put politics above the common goal of helping people..The left does this as well.. they will shun someone if they agree with the right on something.

It's sad.

When has anyone on the right done anything similar to what the left did to Condi Rice last week?

The left does not want to let the other side have any voice because deep down inside all lefties know that they are wrong.

reconciliation to some positions can only occur with conversion to or from those positions.

For example, I cant be reconciled with those advocating abortion because abortion is wrong. What would the compromise position be? You can only incapacitate the child's arm instead of killing it completely? how is that any better?

It's sad.

When has anyone on the right done anything similar to what the left did to Condi Rice last week?

The left does not want to let the other side have any voice because deep down inside all lefties know that they are wrong.

Ah example of someone I don't take serious because he has blinders on...

It's sad.

Irony. You accusing someone else of having blinders on?

laughing.gif

It's sad.

Susan Sarandon
Tim Robbins
Dixie Chicks

Those are just off the top of my head.

If you think one side has been any better than the other, you are not getting the whole story.

It's sad.

What happened to Condi? She was protested?

How about not allowing or stopping free speech? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL-SyC2jvzw&feature=youtu.be]The BYU 25 - YouTube[/ame]

How about giving you free speech only in designated areas?

The most prominent examples were those created by the United States Secret Service for President George W. Bush and other members of his administration.[3] Though free speech zones existed in limited forms prior to the Presidency of George W. Bush; it was during Bush's presidency that their scope was greatly expanded.[4]

How about destroying someones career because of their political beliefs i.e. The Dixie Chicks?

Anything? No Outrage? None?

^^ This is why

It's sad.

Christie put politics aside because he needed federal $$... PERIOD. Which btw, hell, I don't blame him. Another thing a lot on the left do very well is label people.... you don't support gay marriage.. you're a homophobe. You don't support abortion.... you hate women... and on and on and on and on.

Good thread - it asks a question about a problem, and then allows others to demonstrate beyond all doubt that there really is a problem.

It's sad.

Irony

Good thread - it asks a question about a problem, and then allows others to demonstrate beyond all doubt that there really is a problem.

If you have two opposing problems which you hold for principles, how do you compromise without hypocrisy?

If you have two opposing problems which you hold for principles, how do you compromise without hypocrisy?

You do the best you can to move the bar as closely to your side as possible.

This reminds me of the negotiations that happened right after World War II in the creation of Israel.

The Arabs refused to negotiate at all, saying "No Israel/ No Compromise" the Israelis accepted almost every proposal that was put on the table.

Demanding "my way or the highway" is a good way to get intimately familiar with the roadway.

Look at the Republican responses in this thread.

Then look at the Democrat responses in this thread.

Now you see the problem?

Forum List

Back