Who's the WORST player in MLB history to have his number retired.?

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Leave out guys like don zimmer who were mainly managers and leave out guys like don wilson who died early in their career.

I choose mike scott. WL record of 124-108 most of it with houston. Average ERA. Had one outstanding year when he won the CYA.

Eddie Gaedel

number 1/8

That doesn't count and you know it. This is a serious thread.

He was a player, at the plate one time, walked, replaced with a pinch runner.

'retired'

That little sob did some solid work.

To answer the question, without searching online, and it might surprise alot of people, because at one point as a kid he was my favourite player in the Big Leagues (I copied his stance at the plate), but I choose Don Mattingly. Again, without the benefit of looking into it.

How can you retire his number 23, even with all his great years when he plays for the Yankees. The threshold has to be much higher than say if he played for Cleveland of KC. He didn't even win the WS I don't think as the Yanks didn't have great teams by their standards.

So, as much as I really liked him, it was a peculiar retirement.

Last edited:
Given that there are really no slouches in that group, it's kind of tough. I would go with Larry Dierker. Pretty long career but nothing HOF worthy, all star once or twice maybe.

• Banned
  • Banned
Given that there are really no slouches in that group, it's kind of tough. I would go with Larry Dierker. Pretty long career but nothing HOF worthy, all star once or twice maybe.

Dierker is a good choice too. I didn't notice him when i was going down the list. Another astro pitcher like scott.

• Banned
[
To answer the question, without searching online, and it might surprise alot of people, because at one point as a kid he was my favourite player in the Big Leagues (I copied his stance at the plate), but I choose Don Mattingly. Again, without the benefit of looking into it.

I gotta disagree with that. Matt had several great years and a pretty solid career .

[

I gotta disagree with that. Matt had several great years and a pretty solid career .

For the Yankees? As I stated, the bar is much higher to have your number retired as a Yankee.

Eddie Gaedel
number 1/8
That doesn't count and you know it. This is a serious thread.
He was a player, at the plate one time, walked, replaced with a pinch runner. retired'

I know who eddie gaedel was and i said that doesn't count. A big difference between retiring a number and never using a number again. THINK
Tough. The poster says it counts, and that's the end of it. Either Scott or Dierker would be my choices.

The policy should be

1. The candidate has to be in the HOF

2. The candidate must have played 70% + of his games with the team.

Leave out guys like don zimmer who were mainly managers and leave out guys like don wilson who died early in their career.

I choose mike scott. WL record of 124-108 most of it with houston. Average ERA. Had one outstanding year when he won the CYA.

that leaves out whitey herzog who INHERITED 2 great teams to make him a winner.LOL

Forum List

Back