who is the best Irish band: The Wolfe Tones, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, The Dubliners, U2 or The Pogues?

Some good ones in that list....Dubliners would be my pick from that list but the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem would be atop any list I would make. I'm not familiar with "Flogging Molly" I will check them out later.

I went to a Liam/Tommy concert in 1976.....fantastic.

Greg

Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's are Irish American bands, not Irish. (to me anyway).

Didn't know that but I was brought up on The Clancys and Tommy. (Met some of Tom's relatives in Western Qld; evidently he visited on occasions.)

Greg

My exposure to Irish music was in college where my Friday happy hour friends were all 1st generation born here Irish (their brogues came out when drunk). Wolftones, Dubliners, etc.

I'm half Irish, but 2nd generation born here so really didn't get much of the culture growing up besides corned beef and cabbage on St Patricks day.

I make a mean Irish stew!!!

Greg

Well OK...How about Gary Moore?

First with Skid Row then Thin Lizzie, then solo--he became one of the world's best Blues guitarists

He did one album of Irish Kick-azz rock and folk, Wild Frontier....great stuff.

Some good ones in that list....Dubliners would be my pick from that list but the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem would be atop any list I would make. I'm not familiar with "Flogging Molly" I will check them out later.

Greg

Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's are Irish American bands, not Irish. (to me anyway).

Didn't know that but I was brought up on The Clancys and Tommy. (Met some of Tom's relatives in Western Qld; evidently he visited on occasions.)

Greg

My exposure to Irish music was in college where my Friday happy hour friends were all 1st generation born here Irish (their brogues came out when drunk). Wolftones, Dubliners, etc.

I'm half Irish, but 2nd generation born here so really didn't get much of the culture growing up besides corned beef and cabbage on St Patricks day.

My family on my mother's side were Irish settlers 1850s in Oz. My grandmother lived with us so we were immersed in it. The other side is Balkan...................what a combination!!! lol

I'm not into Irish Tenors much but I have some old 78s of McCormack. Too high for my ear but the songs are amazing.

Greg

My mother was born and brought up on the Curragh. My grandad was in the Irish Army and there was an army camp near the world-famous racecourse.
I remember her telling me that the Ali Khan used to land on the racecourse by helicopter on Irish Derby day, which must have been something in the 1930s.
I think the best-known Fureys song is - Green Fields Of France.

Dropkick Murphys are from Quincy, Massachusetts. Last I checked, that's not in Ireland. But I confess, I do like their music so it's a shame to disqualify them based on a technicality... The Pogues were were formed in London...

I would suggest the Irish Rovers be added to the list, they were formed in Toronto, Canada. Though the Millar brothers were from Northern Ireland, so they count...

You didn't mention The Cranberries, from Limerick, Ireland...

What about U2? The Dubliners? The Boomtown Rats? Van Morrison, The Chieftans, Thin Lizzy...

Dropkick Murphys are from Quincy, Massachusetts. Last I checked, that's not in Ireland. But I confess, I do like their music so it's a shame to disqualify them based on a technicality... The Pogues were were formed in London...

I would suggest the Irish Rovers be added to the list, they were formed in Toronto, Canada. Though the Millar brothers were from Northern Ireland, so they count...

What about U2? The Dubliners? The Boomtown Rats? Van Morrison, The Chieftans, Thin Lizzy...

Hey I tossed Gary Moore out there...LOL!

Greg

Greg

My family on my mother's side were Irish settlers 1850s in Oz. My grandmother lived with us so we were immersed in it. The other side is Balkan...................what a combination!!! lol

I'm not into Irish Tenors much but I have some old 78s of McCormack. Too high for my ear but the songs are amazing.

Greg

My mother was born and brought up on the Curragh. My grandad was in the Irish Army and there was an army camp near the world-famous racecourse.
I remember her telling me that the Ali Khan used to land on the racecourse by helicopter on Irish Derby day, which must have been something in the 1930s.

It was written by Eric Bogle. I saw him at the Bridgewater Pub many years ago......near Adelaide in South Australia. He also wrote this one that I find somewhat haunting...

He emigrated from Scotland to Oz when he was 25. (Just read it somewhere)

Greg

Last edited:

Hey I tossed Gary Moore out there...LOL!

Rip Phil and Gary

Greg

Greg

Greg

It was written by Eric Bogle. I saw him at the Bridgewater Pub many years ago......near Adelaide in South Australia. He also wrote this one that I find somewhat haunting...

Greg

Yea Greg I know it was by Eric Bogle. The Vid you posted just came up as Video unavailable, but at a guess, I'd say it's the song about Johnny Turk & the Anzacs. What was it called ... Oh yea I think it was 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda'. Or something like that which is also a very good anti-war song. I can't help wondering though was Eric a manic depressive?

TASTE (Rory Gallagher) - What's Going On

Whatever about the best Irish Band. The best Irish musician was to my mind, Rory Gallaher. He influenced the likes of The Edge. Gary Moore and a host of other Irish musicians to go into a career in music.

I don't know whether any of you have ever visited Londons Marquee club? It was a mecca during the late sixties for bands such as The Stones, Cream etc and Rory Gallaher had a residency there and this is what Brian May said about him -

Rory would never compromise and refused to make singles or appear on such shows as Top of the Pops, which I think was a huge mistake and is part of the reason he is not as well known as he should be. Sadly he died at the age of 47 in 1995 after complications after a liver transplant.

Here is a tribute, my favorite live performance by Rory RIP.

Rory Gallaher - Tattoo'd Lady.

Greg

Greg

Greg

Greg

Yea Greg I know it was by Eric Bogle. The Vid you posted just came up as Video unavailable, but at a guess, I'd say it's the song about Johnny Turk & the Anzacs. What was it called ... Oh yea I think it was 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda'. Or something like that which is also a very good anti-war song. I can't help wondering though was Eric a manic depressive?

Not that one; I actually don't particularly like it. The troops knew damn well why they were fighting even if we don't value the same sentiments today...(well; some of us do).

"Now I'm easy" .......

Maybe it will show.....

Lyrics below...

"NOW I'M EASY"
- Eric Bogle

For nearly sixty years, I've been a Cockie
Of droughts and fires and floods I've lived through plenty
This country's dust and mud have seen my tears and blood
But it's nearly over now, and now I'm easy

I married a fine girl when I was twenty
But she died in giving birth when she was thirty
No flying doctor then, just a gentle old black 'gin

She left me with two sons and a daughter
On a bone-dry farm whose soil cried out for water
So my care was rough and ready, but they grew up fine and steady

My daughter married young, and went her own way
My sons lie buried by the Burma Railway
So on this land I've made me home, I've carried on alone

City folks these days despise the Cockie
Say with subsidies and dole, we've had it easy
But there's no drought or starving stock on a sewered suburban block

For nearly sixty years, I've been a Cockie
Of droughts and fires and floods, I've lived through plenty
This country's dust and mud, have seen my tears and blood
And now I'm easy

Notes:
Cockie: Australian small-scale family farmer
'Gin ("Jen"): an Australian aboriginal woman
(The term is nowadays considered to be derogatory)

Melancholy yes; manic depressive?? dunno. I haven't heard that.

Greg

i'll go with Flogging Molly

Dropkick Murphys are the kind of band when you 1st listen to it, you go: "this is pretty good"...but after a while it sucks!
Any trio led by Rory Gallagher.
I must admit until stumbling on to 'Green Fields Of France' a few years ago I had never heard of Eric Bogle but making up for that has been a quick process as I went through all I could find in one afternoon.
Eric is, without doubt, a master wordsmith. I don't know about you but when judging a band or singer I first look at the vocal which needs to be very powerful but with feeling when required. They have to have written most of their repertoire. Their lead guitar needs to be exceptional = screaming lead phrases backed up by menacing power chords if a rock band.

Of course, Eric is a folk singer so the lead guitar does not apply. He reminds me a bit of American folk/rock singer Louden Wainwright, brilliantly crafted lyrics, and an unusual vocal technique that you can tell instantly on the radio for example.

While looking at Eric's life on Wiki I noticed his 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda' was voted 14th best Australian song ever written in their top thirty voted by critics I think. Strange because 'Waltzing Matilda' didn't get a place unless I missed it. Stranger still was the fact that I have only heard 3 of the songs listed or their performers. Crowded House at 7 & one of AC/DC's at 9. No INXS no Men At Work whose 'Land Down Under' I would have thought would at least get a place. No Seekers who were internationally renowned through the sixties.

Thanks for the translation Greg as I would have had no idea what cockie'
or 'gin' meant in that context.

i'll go with Flogging Molly

Dropkick Murphys are the kind of band when you 1st listen to it, you go: "this is pretty good"...but after a while it sucks!
Any trio led by Rory Gallagher.
I must admit until stumbling on to 'Green Fields Of France' a few years ago I had never heard of Eric Bogle but making up for that has been a quick process as I went through all I could find in one afternoon.
Eric is, without doubt, a master wordsmith. I don't know about you but when judging a band or singer I first look at the vocal which needs to be very powerful but with feeling when required. They have to have written most of their repertoire. Their lead guitar needs to be exceptional = screaming lead phrases backed up by menacing power chords if a rock band.

Of course, Eric is a folk singer so the lead guitar does not apply. He reminds me a bit of American folk/rock singer Louden Wainwright, brilliantly crafted lyrics, and an unusual vocal technique that you can tell instantly on the radio for example.

While looking at Eric's life on Wiki I noticed his 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda' was voted 14th best Australian song ever written in their top thirty voted by critics I think. Strange because 'Waltzing Matilda' didn't get a place unless I missed it. Stranger still was the fact that I have only heard 3 of the songs listed or their performers. Crowded House at 7 & one of AC/DC's at 9. No INXS no Men At Work whose 'Land Down Under' I would have thought would at least get a place. No Seekers who were internationally renowned through the sixties.

Thanks for the translation Greg as I would have had no idea what cockie'
or 'gin' meant in that context.
"voted by critics"....'nuff said.

Greg

Forum List

Back