Who hates Shaky cam in movies? Batman and John Wick may have killed it....

How bad does shaky cam suck?

• I hate shaky cam because it ruins movies

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I really, really hate shaky cam because it ruins movies....

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I saw Batman v. Superman...and the Batman fight scene was great.....no shaky cam.

John Wick and John Wick 2...no shaky cam....

I can't stand that style of filming for action .....and I can't stand the extreme close ups for fight scenes...both of which were lacking in both the Batman and John Wick films.....

I saw Batman v. Superman...and the Batman fight scene was great.....no shaky cam.

I can't stand that style of filming for action .....and I can't stand the extreme close ups for fight scenes...both of which were lacking in both the Batman and John Wick films.....

I didn't like it in the later Bourne movies. I can't say I usually notice it particularly, though. It probably depends on how it is used. :dunno:

I never like all shaky movies. Couple of times I walked out but I normally give it a chance for the first 30 minutes then I will just walk out leaving my son or my wife or my friend inside the theater then wait for them outside.
The worst one I remember was the movie Cloverfield 2008. First 10 minutes I walked out.

I never like all shaky movies. Couple of times I walked out but I normally give it a chance for the first 30 minutes then I will just walk out leaving my son or my wife or my friend inside the theater then wait for them outside.
The worst one I remember was the movie Cloverfield 2008. First 10 minutes I walked out.

I don't think that found-footage counts as shaky camera. :) Yes, found footage tends to be shaky, but it's a different thing.

I don't think that found-footage counts as shaky camera. :) Yes, found footage tends to be shaky, but it's a different thing.

Sorry what I mean was the whole screen. As an example you can google then you tube the movie Cloverfield 2008. Then watch the entirety of the trailer.

Sorry what I mean was the whole screen. As an example you can google then you tube the movie Cloverfield 2008. Then watch the entirety of the trailer.

I've seen Cloverfield. I actually liked it, although I normally don't like found-footage films. :) The shaking from Cloverfield is because it is supposed to have been filmed by a guy running around during an alien invasion with a phone or hand-held camera. What I think 2aguy is talking about is more of a slight vibration used to denote action by some directors.

The first film that really pushed the shaky cam was The Blair Witch Project, you then saw it in the beach scenes and combat scenes from Saving Private Ryan...at least in Private Ryan they were imitating the actual film footage of the war reporters .....but using it for fight scenes like in the Bourne movies is just annoying....it hides the action rather than allowing you to experience it........

Also, the technique of extreme close ups during fight sequences....where the camera is so close you can't tell what is really happening....

The first film that really pushed the shaky cam was The Blair Witch Project, you then saw it in the beach scenes and combat scenes from Saving Private Ryan...at least in Private Ryan they were imitating the actual film footage of the war reporters .....but using it for fight scenes like in the Bourne movies is just annoying....it hides the action rather than allowing you to experience it........

Also, the technique of extreme close ups during fight sequences....where the camera is so close you can't tell what is really happening....

I'm pretty sure when it's used for fight scenes it's intentionally hiding the details. It allows the director to have less than perfectly choreographed fights appear more exciting than they actually are, it hides any mistakes or poorly executed moves, things like that.

Scene at the beach Private Ryan was only 3 minutes I think then goes to normal. I watch P Ryan at least 3 times. I also like horror movies but for some reason Blair Witch does not sink in with me. I watched all Bourne movies but able to stand the shakies.
Coincidentally I met Jeremy Renner when they were filming Bourne Legacy in Manila. I stayed in the same hotel where he was staying along with most of his film crews. I ran into him one of those drunken crazy night. Unfortunately I was only there for 4 days then back here to US.

I've seen Cloverfield. I actually liked it, although I normally don't like found-footage films. :) The shaking from Cloverfield is because it is supposed to have been filmed by a guy running around during an alien invasion with a phone or hand-held camera. What I think 2aguy is talking about is more of a slight vibration used to denote action by some directors.

My son likes it too but I can't stand to much movement. I was getting dizzy and almost threw up so I just waited for him at the lobby.

Cloverfield is one of the 2 movies I walked out but can't remember the other one.

Cloverfield is one of the 2 movies I walked out but can't remember the other one.

I don't recall ever walking out during a movie, but I did fall asleep during Apollo 13. :p

Scene at the beach Private Ryan was only 3 minutes I think then goes to normal. I watch P Ryan at least 3 times. I also like horror movies but for some reason Blair Witch does not sink in with me. I watched all Bourne movies but able to stand the shakies.
Coincidentally I met Jeremy Renner when they were filming Bourne Legacy in Manila. I stayed in the same hotel where he was staying along with most of his film crews. I ran into him one of those drunken crazy night. Unfortunately I was only there for 4 days then back here to US.

What was he like? It is always interesting to see what these actors are like in public...

Found it...it wasn't an interview about John Wick where they brought up the lack of a shaky cam......it was the Honest Tralier: John Wick that did.....making fun of Liam Neeson while they did it...

What was he like? It is always interesting to see what these actors are like in public...

He is cool guy. I was impressed with his down to earth attitude, not snobbish, got drunk keep touching my shoulder etc but my GF ( sssshhhh) is prettier and sexier than his. He ( whispered) asked me if I can loan her......... I told him she is married. He laughed so hard. We stayed with his group at this club till 1am with lots of women. Not sure if pick up anybody else aside from his GF bc women are all over him. He is short I think 5'8" and he does not look good as in the movies bc of no make up. My body guards and his become friends working for the same security agency that provides services for foreigners like me. BTW they are all well armed some with M16.

Using shaky cams during dramatic performances that do not imitate or in any other way justify its use is just stupidity in the form of imitation of the more successful art forms that used shaky cam well.

My wife hates shaky cam so much she will not see a movie in the theaters if it has it. She says it often makes her motion sick.

I see a lot of movies by myself. :frown:

Forum List

Back