Who first proposed making health insurance compulsory?

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV

The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank. (late 1980s)
The individual mandate: Health-care's inherent controversy - The Week

Gingrich: 'Unconstitutional' Insurance Mandate 'Started As Conservative Effort to Stop Hillarycare'
By Terence P. Jeffrey
December 11, 2011

(CNSNews.com) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich on Saturday defended his previous support of a federal mandate requiring people to buy health insurance by saying that "virtually every conservative saw the mandate as a less dangerous future" than the health-care plan being advanced by then-First Lady Hillary Clinton in 1993 and that the idea of mandating that people buy health insurance "started as a conservative effort to stop Hillarycare in the 1990s."
Gingrich: 'Unconstitutional' Insurance Mandate 'Started As Conservative Effort to Stop Hillarycare' | CNSnews.com

:eek::lol:

Want to try again? What they proposed at the time was a requirement for everyone to have catastrophic insurance or post a bond. Their mandate was not about carrying health insurance, it was about protecting the public from the cost of accidents and serious illness. They were wrong, but at least they had a more palatable alternative than forcing everyone to carry insurance for a bunch of things they don't need.

Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993 :

SEC. 1501. REQUIREMENT OF COVERAGE.

(a) IN GENERAL- Effective January 1, 2005, each individual who is a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States shall be covered under--
(1) a qualified health plan, or
(2) an equivalent health care program (as defined in section 1601(7)).​

SEC. 1301. OFFERING OF BENEFIT PACKAGES.

(b) COVERED ITEMS AND SERVICES- Subject to the procedures for clarification and modification described in part II, covered items and services consist of the following items and services, but only when the provision of the item or service is medically necessary or appropriate;

(1) Medical and surgical services (and supplies incident to such services).
(2) Medical equipment.
(3) Prescription drugs and biologicals.
(4) Preventive services.
(5) Rehabilitation and home health services related to an acute care episode.
(6) Services for severe mental illness.
(7) Substance abuse services.
(8) Hospice services.
(9) Emergency transportation and transportation for non-elective medically necessary services in frontier and similar areas.​

`SEC. 5000A. FAILURE OF INDIVIDUALS WITH RESPECT TO HEALTH INSURANCE.

`(a) GENERAL RULE- There is hereby imposed a tax on the failure of any individual to comply with the requirements of section 1501 of the Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993.​

Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993 :

SEC. 1501. REQUIREMENT OF COVERAGE.
(a) IN GENERAL- Effective January 1, 2005, each individual who is a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States shall be covered under--
(1) a qualified health plan, or
(2) an equivalent health care program (as defined in section 1601(7)).​
SEC. 1301. OFFERING OF BENEFIT PACKAGES.
(b) COVERED ITEMS AND SERVICES- Subject to the procedures for clarification and modification described in part II, covered items and services consist of the following items and services, but only when the provision of the item or service is medically necessary or appropriate;
(1) Medical and surgical services (and supplies incident to such services).
(2) Medical equipment.
(3) Prescription drugs and biologicals.
(4) Preventive services.
(5) Rehabilitation and home health services related to an acute care episode.
(6) Services for severe mental illness.
(7) Substance abuse services.
(8) Hospice services.
(9) Emergency transportation and transportation for non-elective medically necessary services in frontier and similar areas.​
`SEC. 5000A. FAILURE OF INDIVIDUALS WITH RESPECT TO HEALTH INSURANCE.
`(a) GENERAL RULE- There is hereby imposed a tax on the failure of any individual to comply with the requirements of section 1501 of the Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993.​

Damn, you proved me wrong, I thought your copy and paste ability saved you from having to think. This has nothing to do with this thread. The question was not what mandate was proposed by congresscritters in 1993, it was who was the first to actually propose one. The OP then went on to argue that it was the Heritage Foundation, which I am pretty sure is wrong, but don't actually feel like researching, so I just pointed out the differences between their mandate and the one in Obamacare.

Gingrich: 'Unconstitutional' Insurance Mandate 'Started As Conservative Effort to Stop Hillarycare'
By Terence P. Jeffrey
December 11, 2011

(CNSNews.com) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich on Saturday defended his previous support of a federal mandate requiring people to buy health insurance by saying that "virtually every conservative saw the mandate as a less dangerous future" than the health-care plan being advanced by then-First Lady Hillary Clinton in 1993 and that the idea of mandating that people buy health insurance "started as a conservative effort to stop Hillarycare in the 1990s."
Gingrich: 'Unconstitutional' Insurance Mandate 'Started As Conservative Effort to Stop Hillarycare' | CNSnews.com

Yup.

Obama's HC plan is really the REPUBLICAN PLAN.

Much as CLINTONS WELFARE REFORM PLAN was also the REPUBLICAN PLAN.

Why on earth do you think so many of we who do not sup at the table of the GOP laugh at you guys when you tell us how different the DEMS are from the Republicans?

If you people would stop thinking that politics is a football game, and start looking at actual policies, you'd discover ONE PARTY rules the roost.

The INSIDER PARTY.

But you partisans are cluess idiots, so I know I'm wasting ASCII reminding you of the obvious.

Reality is a complicated thing. Didn't Teddy Roosevelt have a healthcare proposal? After the GD and the wars that grew out of it, many considered UHC. What I find amazing is that a good thing can be debated even demonized instead of tried and fixed and improved and repaired like all of life's complexities.

Truman Library - November 19, 1945: Truman Proposes Health Program

This Day in Truman History
November 19, 1945
President Truman's Proposed Health Program

A little history is in order here if we want to understand how we got into the position we find oursevles in today

The era POST WWII was the best time for us to have imposed universal HC.

Why?

For the first time in US history we had the pipilation morbity and mortality STATS to actually develop an universal health care insurance scheme

Sadly, we went in the other direction (thanks, ironically, to a teachers' association in TEXAS!!?!) which started BLUE CROSS.

Once BLUE CROSS took hold of the market the private insurance companies started CHERRY PICKING the healthier members to capture those who were the least likely to need HC.

Last edited:
Want to try again? What they proposed at the time was a requirement for everyone to have catastrophic insurance or post a bond. Their mandate was not about carrying health insurance, it was about protecting the public from the cost of accidents and serious illness. They were wrong, but at least they had a more palatable alternative than forcing everyone to carry insurance for a bunch of things they don't need.

Exactly. Glad you agree with Obamacare. You worded it perfectly. Thanks. Can I use it in my signature line and quote you?

What's bizarre is that the ACA enables them to do most of the things they allegedly want to do today, they just don't seem to have realized that yet. It's a big toolbox that's just as well-suited to advancing conservative priorities as liberal ones (and in some respects it's better suited to some of the former).

So what's your point? Yet another typically idiotic argument from the left. "Well since the right actually did it first that should make it okay now", or "Since it was the right's idea and you're from a right wing ideology you should actually be for this". Really? Talk about pathetic. Who proposed it does not change the fact that mandating that people carry health insurance is wrong and an infringement on civil liberties.

Last edited:
So what's your point? Yet another typically idiotic argument from the left. "Well since the right actually did it first that should make it okay now", or "Since it was the right's idea and you're from a right wing ideology you should actually be for this". Really? Talk about pathetic. Who proposed it does not change the fact that mandating that people carry health insurance is wrong and an infringement on civil liberties.

The aptly made POINT is what we've known all along - You all are only against HCR because Obama and the Democrats are the ones who passed it... Period.

There are no death panels, no government takeover, no subjugation of your civil rights, no rationing.

Dems passed it - That's all.

The aptly made POINT is what we've known all along - You all are only against HCR because Obama and the Democrats are the ones who passed it... Period.

Wrong. You won't find that I ever backed any type of universal health care because I never have. Wrong is wrong.

There are no death panels, no government takeover, no subjugation of your civil rights, no rationing.

Dems passed it - That's all.

Wrong again. When a choice is taken away that is an infringment on your rights and freedom. And for those of you so quick to point to the other industrialized nations that have UHC I hope you have the intellectual integirty to realize and see that they do in fact ration health care. Countries like France have had to cut back on reimbursement rates and what they cover because there tens of billions of dollars in debt in health care spending.

Reality is a complicated thing. Didn't Teddy Roosevelt have a healthcare proposal? After the GD and the wars that grew out of it, many considered UHC. What I find amazing is that a good thing can be debated even demonized instead of tried and fixed and improved and repaired like all of life's complexities.

Truman Library - November 19, 1945: Truman Proposes Health Program

This Day in Truman History
November 19, 1945
President Truman's Proposed Health Program

Roosevelt died before 1970, most people don't look that far back.

By Terence P. Jeffrey
December 11, 2011

Yup.

Much as CLINTONS WELFARE REFORM PLAN was also the REPUBLICAN PLAN.

Why on earth do you think so many of we who do not sup at the table of the GOP laugh at you guys when you tell us how different the DEMS are from the Republicans?

If you people would stop thinking that politics is a football game, and start looking at actual policies, you'd discover ONE PARTY rules the roost.

The INSIDER PARTY.

But you partisans are cluess idiots, so I know I'm wasting ASCII reminding you of the obvious.

If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth. ~Joseph Goebbels

Exactly. Glad you agree with Obamacare. You worded it perfectly. Thanks. Can I use it in my signature line and quote you?

Feel free, I will enjoy pointing out that what I said is nothing like Obamacare because Obamacare requires me to buy insurance that covers wellness visits and birth control pills. I do not need birth control pills and never will.

What's bizarre is that the ACA enables them to do most of the things they allegedly want to do today, they just don't seem to have realized that yet. It's a big toolbox that's just as well-suited to advancing conservative priorities as liberal ones (and in some respects it's better suited to some of the former).

There is a difference between conservative and Republican, conservatives don't want a government toolbox to impose their ideas on other people, they are quite willing to let Democrats, Republicans, and progressives have the burden of trying to control the universe.

Forum List

Back