who are your heroes

Cyrus the Great - commanded a giant empire without slaves, and by respecting the religions and temples of the conquered (i.e. peacefully returning the Jews to their homeland)

Rothbard, Von Mises, Van Hayek - went against conventional wisdom and are still today disrespected.

Gandhi - whatever you may think of him, he held together a giant country composed of many nations, religions, and languages while preaching peace.

Malcolm X - A pimp turned into a racist preacher, but with such religious conviction that he was able to bring a message of peace before his death.

Noam Chomsky - I don't agree with much of what he says anymore (though I idolized him as a teenager and throughout college), but I still highly respect him and his ability to argue his points without insult or hatred.

Captain Isaac N. Brown of the Confederate States Navy and the crew and soldiers of the CSS Arkansas.

It gives me shivers up and down my spine to imagine the bravery and courage it took for this Captain and crew to alone face down Admiral David Farragut's entire armada on the Mississippi River at the Yazoo River confluence in route to Vicksburgs.

The ship itself was built late in the war. As iron was at a premium in the south, the armor of the Arkansas was constructed of rail salvaged from disused railroad tracks.

The crew at the big guns were green Missouri volunteers who had never serviced large artillery, most had never served aboard a ship before.

And yet, alone and outgunned in an untested ship built from scrap with a crew of untrained novices, the Arkansas steamed thru a flotilla of 18 Union warships.

The "CSS Arkansas" ran off three Union ships, inflicting heavy damage on two of them, and ran a gauntlet of sixteen Union ships, damaging several as slipping down the Mississippi River towards Vicksburg, Mississippi. The Union commander, Admiral David Farragut, was furious that a single ship could cause so much damage to his flotilla, so Admiral Farragut sent his ships in pursuit of the Confederate menace.
Blogs by Karen Palumbo on AuthorsDen.com

Some of the Federal Naval vessels engaged by CSS Arkansas at Vicksburg

CSS Arkansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:CSS_Arkansas_h73378.jpg

Last edited:
My dad
Penny Moss's granddad.
Dwight Eisenhower
Benjamin Franklin
Nikola Tesla
Helen Keller (and my mother...actually heroins...not heroes.)
Ray Charles
This old geezer:
PICT0012-2.jpg

and all like him!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2::clap2:

Last edited:
Nobody for Jesus Christ?

well... at least you got Malcom X on your collective list.

What did he do that was so great other than give billions of people faith, create the wealthiest church in the world and inadvertantly start a religion that has caused the death of untold millions of people through armed conflict.

somehow Id ont see having people give up worldly possessions and going around places like a hippy leading to the wealthiest church in teh world. that was corrupt humans and their quest for greed & mind control over their sheep who ship them money every sunday.

The mujahideen in Chechnya (excluding al-Qaeda) and oppressed people everywhere who have the courage to fight against their malefactors.

Abdulhalim%20Sadulayev.jpg

ﷲ ﻴﺭﺤﻣك

A whole world of folks who get up every day and accept responsibility for their lives and their families and toil their day away until its time to go home to dinner, the wife, the kids, a pile of bills, and go to bed knowing it all starts over again tomorrow.

My four great great grandfathers, two great great great grandfathers, and the 37 uncles and cousins who wore the gray for four long years.

My great uncle, who landed in Morocco, fought his way across North Africa, Sicily and was was in the battles at Anzio and Monte Cassino.

My son, who will be a far better man than myself, and the mother who bore him.

What religion did Jesus start?

and what church?...

None that I'm aware of.

Again I find it puzzling to see several self-proclaimed "Christians" who do not consider Jesus Christ to be at least one of their heroes. They think he's their messiah, but not their hero? How exactly does that work? :confused:

Or maybe, just maybe, they're a bunch of hypocrites.

What religion did Jesus start?

and what church?...

None that I'm aware of.

Again I find it puzzling to see several self-proclaimed "Christians" who do not consider Jesus Christ to be at least one of their heroes. They think he's their messiah, but not their hero? How exactly does that work? :confused:

Or maybe, just maybe, they're a bunch of hypocrites.

well Mani....Jesus used that word more than once to describe some who claimed to be his followers...

A whole world of folks who get up every day and accept responsibility for their lives and their families and toil their day away until its time to go home to dinner, the wife, the kids, a pile of bills, and go to bed knowing it all starts over again tomorrow.

Good point.

I was in the military and loved it. I won't say I deserved a Congressional Medal of Honor or anything, but I did have to take some big risks while I served.

But that did not require the kind of stick it out, do it for your son, kinda courage I find it takes to get up and do a rather mundane job, day after day, to pay the bills, the mortgage and give him a go in life.

THAT, I find fucking hard.

Still, booze helps.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back