who are your heroes

Lady Jane Grey, who held the throne of England for 9 days after the death of Henry VIII's son, Edward. When Queen Mary offered her her life in exchange for converting to Catholicism, she chose to be beheaded rather than give up her beliefs. She was 15.

I can't help but admire anyone with the strength of character to hold to her convictions that strongly, especially at such a young age.

alexander the great, xenophon, the anonymous viking at stamford bridge, che, napoleon, the white death.

lots of other military geniuses as well that i have studied

Marie Curie - woman in a man's field, Nobel Physicist, what more need be said
Audy Murphy - Little guy, great big brass ones, "Somebody had to hold the Germans back"
Jules Verne - Takes nerve to write, takes nerve to speculate, takes brains to do both well

Sir Thomas More - beheaded for refusing to swear to the Act of Succession. A man of peace and principle.
Charles Darwin - not just for 30 years of groundbreaking research leading to a completely new way of looking at the world around us, but also for publishing a work that he knew would lead to him being shunned by much of Victorian society. Happy 200th anniversary.
W.L.S. Churchill - despite all his faults, cometh the hour, cometh the man. Died 2 days after I was born (possibly on hearing the news).
My parents, Tom and Molly - I miss you both.

Last edited:
Me.

And it's freakin killing me, too.

I'd run away from the burden of heroism I impose on myself but everywhere I go there I am foolishly trying to do the right thing.

Incidently, I am hardly unique in this respect.

Many of you are likewise burdened by this conceit.

Doesn't matter what your politics are, either.

Some of you right wing idiots are just as freakin' stupid as I am.

The fact that you're here trying to be heard, trying to bring other aboard your POV tells me that you (like I) are dumb enough to think you matter.
(and that, folks, is the stuff of heros)

I may very much hate what some of you say and think. I may be rude to you. I may mock you without mercy, too.

But never think I believe that you're not HEROICALLY trying to convince me of your POV.

So whether you're a NAZI or a ZIONIST, a gun queer or a kneejerking gun grabbing liberal, know that I understand that your passion is right even if I think YOUR IDEOLOGY is completely wrong

Last edited:
My dad.

Her:

story.0937.munley.twitter.jpg

My heroes:

All the men and women in the armed forces that keep us safe here in the USA. My heroes big time.

OK.. I am not going to state the family ones... grandfather, etc... for none of you could really understand the 'why' behind those

I would say
DaVinci - A genius on many levels.. thought enough to put 'kinks' into his drawings and writings to prevent others from stealing his work, which was probably his most genius action.. LOL
General George Patton - Probably one of the last of the true warrior leaders. While realizing he was in a time of politics, he was about getting the job done. And while being forced to apologize for things such as the 'slap', we all should know what he truly stood for. And he should be applauded for who he was and what he stood for.
Sun Tzu - The Art of War has influenced me greatly on how it not only deals with tactics but living and fighting by ever changing conditions

I could list a lot more... and I may write on a few more if I see others mention them

So many to choose from....
The dude who invented the compass in China during the Qin Dynasty...without we would STILL be going in circles.
Admiral James Stockdale...he beat HIMSELF nearly to death with a home made foot stool so as not to be put on display and used as a propaganda tool by his captors, the North Vietnamese Army.
Georges-Auguste Leschot... one of the genius pioneers of the mechanization of serialized production. A mechanical engineer 200 years ahead of his time.

and last but not least...one of my team mates....Hooyah Mike....hooyah!!!! I encourage all to watch this tribute.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEzAfUCiHw8&feature=PlayList&p=5F2605A00127B464&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEzAfUCiHw8&feature=PlayList&p=5F2605A00127B464&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19[/ame]

Forum List

Back