WHO are the REAL Constitutionalists?

No, your original premise is wrong. You aren't buying your social security or medicare from the government. It isn't a one-to-one transaction. Buying something means you own it. You don't own social security or medicare.

One never owns an insurance plan. One has rights to the benefits provided in exchange for a stream of payments. Kinda like...Medicare and SS.

Own then may be the wrong term. It's provding a service for as long as you choose to pay for it, like cable or internet. SS and medicare don't work that way. 1) You dont have a choice. 2) You aren't paying for YOUR SS or YOUR medicare.

Last edited:
No, your original premise is wrong. You aren't buying your social security or medicare from the government. It isn't a one-to-one transaction. Buying something means you own it. You don't own social security or medicare.

One never owns an insurance plan. One has rights to the benefits provided in exchange for a stream of payments. Kinda like...Medicare and SS.

Own then may be the wrong term. It's provding a service for as long as you choose to pay for it, like cable or internet. SS and medicare don't work that way. 1) You dont have a choice. 2) You aren't paying for YOUR SS or YOUR medicare.

When you get health insurance, you're not paying for your own insurance. When you pay into a 401(K) you are not creating a pot of money that is strictly yours. in both instances, current payees fund current recipients.

Ditto, health insurance from Medicare or under the new plan.
Ditto, Social Security.

All are constitutional and all are based on the same principles.

Divecon, daveman, Spoonman continue to fail in their argument.

They can offer absolutely nothing evidentiary that affirmatively supports their position.

Yes, they are here for only grins and chuckles.

In order to keep from looking like a total flaming hypocrite, you need to prove this statement:
daveman wants to socialize his risk and maximize his profit.

He keeps the money he would spend for insurance while society has to assume the risk.

My money says you're going to remain a total flaming hypocrite.

Now that is a good argument, Bern80. However, everyone must have proof of insurance to own a car. To have folks "own" health care is no different.
Wrong. If you drive your vehicle only on your own property, you don't need insurance. Furthermore, no one is required to have a car. If you don't want insurance, don't own a car.

Liberalism is trust of the people, tempered by prudence; conservatism, distrust of people, tempered by fear.
William E. Gladstone

Oh my fucking god you are so fucking retarded, bfgrn. Classical LIBERALISM IS THE EQUIVALENT OF MODERN CONSERVATISM. You are so fucking retarded its not even fun to point it out anymore.

on top of that, gladstone was a brit, and the british had different definitions. back then conservatism was loyalty to the crown, same as it was when john locke spoke of it. ITS IS KNOWN TODAY AS CLASSICAL LIBERALSM. modern liberalism's birth was during the new deal.

oh my god if i saw you in real life i'd punch you in your fat face so hard and it'd be worth it.

OK Einstein, what happened to the 'conservatives' Gladstone talks about...did they just evaporate? Funny, F.A. Hayek who was a classic liberal and considered Gladstone one of the three greatest liberals felt compelled to write a whole essay disassociating himself from conservatism.

Why I Am Not a Conservative - By Nobel laureate F. A. Hayek

You right wing pea brains have tried to hijack liberalism. The only thing you hang your association on is 'Laissez-faire' economics. BUT, you pea brains don't even understand THAT. Corporate run government and corporate welfare and corporate subsidies that externalize costs is NOT 'Laissez-faire' ...it is Mussolini's fascism.

You right wing pea brains that call yourself 'conservatives' have NOTHING in common with liberalism. 'Conservatives' throughout man's existence have always been for an aristocracy, oligarchy and plutocracy.
From your link:
Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving.
That is, of course, incorrect.

When you get health insurance, you're not paying for your own insurance. When you pay into a 401(K) you are not creating a pot of money that is strictly yours. in both instances, current payees fund current recipients.

I am paying for continued coverage, that is not true of SS or medicare. And you're just plain wrong on the 401(k). Mine I do a own and can cash out whenever I choose.

All are constitutional and all are based on the same principles.

Under the interpretation of what SPECIFICALLY in the constitution?

I am paying for continued coverage, that is not true of SS or medicare.

The funds you deposit with the insurance company do not go to cover your claims - they go towards covering the claims of whoever might be accessing services at the time or they get invested for future use.

That's what happens with SS and Medicare payments as well.

And you're just plain wrong on the 401(k). Mine I do a own and can cash out whenever I choose.

oh, you can cash it out. But that doesn't mean they set aside money with your name on it. Just like SSDI doesn't set aside your contributions in case you become disabled. Both just pull money out of the pot when you require payments.

The funds you deposit with the insurance company do not go to cover your claims - they go towards covering the claims of whoever might be accessing services at the time or they get invested for future use.

I am aware of that. What's your point?

oh, you can cash it out. But that doesn't mean they set aside money with your name on it. Just like SSDI doesn't set aside your contributions in case you become disabled. Both just pull money out of the pot when you require payments.

Again whats your point? You've been spending the whole time arguing that I am purchaseing something for myself through the government. Now you're basically telling me I'm not. Make up your mind.

My point is that Medicare, SS and other forms of insurance are all services we purchase and that, like SS and Medicare, the HCR bill involves a government mandate to buy the service...

Though we've certainly drifted away from that point:lol:

My point is that Medicare, SS and other forms of insurance are all services we purchase and that, like SS and Medicare, the HCR bill involves a government mandate to buy the service...

They're services that we purchase only in the sense that if you operate a restaurant or business in NYC and the local wiseguy tells you you need to buy protection, you purchase that service as well.

The punitive power of the government forcing you to purchase, does not make this like any other purchase.

Bern80 knows that and tried to deflect. You got him and corrected him.

Short term memory loss? It was the republicans that scuttled the public option. Aside from that, one has ALWAYS had to purchase health care from a company. AND we have always(in recent history) had to pay for others less fortunate medical care in taxes.

Talk about short term memory.

The Health Care Law passed without any Republican support. The Democrats in the Senate scuttled the Public Option because they did not like it. The Republicans would have scuttled the whole thing if they had any power to influence it, but thanks for giving them credit they do not deserve.

Short term memory loss? WOW!

The Health Care Law passed without any Republican support is almost IDENTICAL to the health care plan REPUBLICANS proposed in 1993, INCLUDING the individual mandate.

Republicans would have scuttled the whole thing, even though they KNEW our health care system was broken and bankrupting American families, but they were MORE concerned about defeating our president, than helping the American people.

Waterloo | FrumForum

I love that almost identical quote. Funny thing, that 1993 bill came from a Republican, but there were other bills also proposed then. The liberals point to the most liberal Republican and use his bill in an attempt to prove that Republicans are hypocrites because they oppose the new law, even though they opposed the bill that Chafee proposed back then. Can I point at a conservative Democrat and use him to prove that Democrats are hypocrites? It would be really easy to find a blue dog Democrat that opposed the health care law, the bailouts, and the stimulus.

Fortunately for me, I am an honest person that does not tar everyone with the same brush. If only more people on both sides were actually true to themselves and their principles.

Except you just got done arguing that you actually are NOT purchasing services. You are paying for someone elses services. That's all this is happening for the government run programs. Now like it or not that is very different then a contractual agreement between you and a private business to provide a service, whether it be private health insurance, auto insurace, cable, internet whatever in exchange for a recurring usage fee.

The second part addresses a question I have asked before, If you think government has the authority to make you buy things, what DON'T they have the authority to make you do?

Except you just got done arguing that you actually are NOT purchasing services. You are paying for someone elses services. That's all this is happening for the government run programs. Now like it or not that is very different then a contractual agreement between you and a private business to provide a service, whether it be private health insurance, auto insurace, cable, internet whatever in exchange for a recurring usage fee.

The second part addresses a question I have asked before, If you think government has the authority to make you buy things, what DON'T they have the authority to make you do?

Insurance is buying a service, it is just not the one most people think it is. What I do when I buy insurance is pay into a pool that allows my personal risk to be spread if I encounter a need for the service covered by the insurer. The way it works for the insurer is that he sells the risk to as many people as possible so that when someone has to make a claim against the coverage he has enough money to cover that claim, and still maintain a profit.

You recognize this on one level, but you then assume that what I am buying is paying for those other claims. There is insurance out there that works that way, like this one, but most work on the principle that I am not going to need the coverage.

One of the primary reasons health care costs have skyrocketed is because of laws that froze wages, which required employers competing for workers to offer benefits that were not insurance in the traditional sense. Guaranteed coeverage of doctor visits, drug and alcohol treatment, and routine medical care should not be covered through insurance, it should be covered out of pocket.

Quantum WindBag is arguing everything but the OP. Until he does, he is fail here. Bern80 already has.

Now that is a good argument, Bern80. However, everyone must have proof of insurance to own a car. To have folks "own" health care is no different.

You do not need proof of insurance to own a car.

Link?

To what?

Most states require insurance to operate a vehicle on public roads. Some, like California extend that obligation to cars parked on public roads. However, California does not actually require that you buy insurance, unlike most states. If any state requires insurance for a person to own a vehicle I do not know of it. That puts any requirement for a link on you.

Just to prove that I am actually smart enough not to make things up though, here is what CA says about it.

Financial responsibility must be obtained and maintained on any vehicle operated or parked on California roadways and must be provided as specified below:

• [*]When requested by law enforcement
    [*]When renewing vehicle registration (if requested)
    [*]When the vehicle is involved in a traffic accident
    [*]Within 30 days of receiving a registration card for a newly acquired vehicle
    [*]Within 45 days of the cancellation of a policy for a currently registered vehicle
You must carry evidence of financial responsibility, proof of insurance, in your vehicle at all times.

Types of financial responsibility

• [*]A motor vehicle liability insurance policy
    [*]A cash deposit of $35,000 with DMV
    [*]A DMV issued self-insurance certificate
    [*]A surety bond for $35,000 from a company licensed to do business in California

Car insurance requirements for California Drivers

Imagine that, I can own, and drive, a car in California and not buy insurance, and it is legal.

Forum List

Back