White House to Catholic Bishops: Stop Lying about ObamaCare!

In response to the announced Bishops plan to vigorously oppose ObamaCare and its Federally funded abortions, the White House fired back essentially calling the Bishops liars.

FoxNews, Health Insurers and now Catholic Bishops are White House enemies.
------------------------------------
White House Says Catholic Bishops Have Misinterpreted Law Banning Federal Funding of Abortion--And Its Application to Health-Care Bill
Monday, October 12, 2009
By Fred Lucas, Staff Writer

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs (AP Photo)
(CNSNews.com) - One day after the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops vowed to “vigorously” oppose the health care bill under consideration in Congress if it is not amended to explicitly prohibit federal funding of abortions, the White House for the second time in a week said the bishops are wrong to assert that the bill permits funding of abortion.

CNSNews.com - White House Says Catholic Bishops Have Misinterpreted Law Banning Federal Funding of Abortion--And Its Application to Health-Care Bill

Perhaps the bishops should read existing federal law (you know, which prohibits public funds being used for abortions) instead of just reading off the GOP talking points.

VaYank5150, you do realize that Obama is dividing this nation more and more? This is in opposition to his stated goal. Eventually you lose enough support that you fail at your job. Many like yourself use Bush as an example of this. Try to learn from it. The list grows of those thrown under the Obama bus. There will be more and very soon you can be sure of that.

The topic heading infers the Catholic Bishops have lied about Obama care. Federal law doesn't ban it entirely. This bill was given the chance to do that and it was rejected. If it was rejected, doesn't that imply that it is a real possibility?

Obama has gone back on his word before.

Do I really have to explain how our Democracy works? IF we had elected a King, Obama would have penned legislation to make all of his desires law. Since we did NOT elect a King, some of his desires have been shot down by those we elected to represent us. You can continue to call Obama a liar if you wish, but please try to understand how your government actually works, first.

My understanding is far beyond yours. Seems like Mr. Obama needs your help. He is the one making the promises. You mean he can't deliver? Who's fail is that? Omaba's? The voting majority's? I base my lair claim on things like a lack of transparency in the White House, "change" in government while recycling Clinton and Bush adminstrators and promising a time table for withdrawal in Iraq he is not supporting anymore. There are many others but you get the idea.

Yet again we see here yet more use of the Alinski 'Rules for Radicals'.... if you can't argue the point, change the point.

Nice try, fail.

The right's obsession with Saul Alinsky is something I find rather bizarre, especially because so much of movement conservatism is based on his ideas.

I am not trying to change the point, but rather stating that the Bishops have no dog in this race. With all of their own child molestation problems, if ANYTHING, I would think they should be in favor of healthcare reform, but in either case, they need to STFU and keep their noses out of Government policy decisions.

I didn't say you were trying to change the point. My post didn't quote you. The child molestation problems are nothing to do with the debate. And I find it really rather pathetic that instead of focusing on the issue, people look to use that as an excuse to dismiss the response of the Church.

However, if you paid attention, you would know that the Catholic Church is iin favor of healthcare reform. And, since their parishioners are Americans, this policy affects their parishioners and that makes it the Church's business.

Saying that the Church should STFU and keep out of it is like saying that the public should STUF and keep out of it. No doubt that would be very convenient but it ain't gonna happen.

I assume the policy of separation of church and state is foreign to you?

Epic fail

Truly epic

Separation of church from state does not mean that someone or someones within the church or church organization cannot have an opinion on an issue or politics....

Try actually understanding what was meant when the 1st amendment was written

In response to the announced Bishops plan to vigorously oppose ObamaCare and its Federally funded abortions, the White House fired back essentially calling the Bishops liars.

White House Says Catholic Bishops Have Misinterpreted Law Banning Federal Funding of Abortion--And Its Application to Health-Care Bill
Monday, October 12, 2009

(CNSNews.com) - One day after the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops vowed to “vigorously” oppose the health care bill under consideration in Congress if it is not amended to explicitly prohibit federal funding of abortions, the White House for the second time in a week said the bishops are wrong to assert that the bill permits funding of abortion.

CNSNews.com - White House Says Catholic Bishops Have Misinterpreted Law Banning Federal Funding of Abortion--And Its Application to Health-Care Bill

Perhaps the bishops should read existing federal law (you know, which prohibits public funds being used for abortions) instead of just reading off the GOP talking points.

You mean the Hyde Amendment, which does not apply to this legislation?

Hyde Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is that what you're talking about?

Why won't Dems add in language SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITING federal funding of abortion?

Beats the hell out of me!

I certainly do.

Keep patting yourself on the back girlie, meanwhile a Catholic priest is raping another little boy somewhere. These monsters are worse than your own Larry Craig. At least he preyed on MEN.

And meanwhile some liberal is out fucking a mongoose... does that mean everyone on the left is to be totally disregarded for that person's actions??

Epic fail again

Monday, October 12, 2009

You mean the Hyde Amendment, which does not apply to this legislation?

Hyde Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is that what you're talking about?

Why won't Dems add in language SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITING federal funding of abortion?

Why don't they add language specifically prohibiting little green men from getting coverage?

An amendment was made to forbid abortions. Democrats voted it down. What sort of fuzzy meaning do you get out of that?

From what I understand it's way too complicated. In certain states, federal funds are already being used for Medicaid funded abortions.

Does anyone know if Planned Parenthood gets federal funds? Is that a dumb question?

Here it is:
State Funding for Abortion under Medicaid

Funding under Hyde Amendment Only: Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Wyoming.

Hyde Amendment and Additional Health Circumstances: Indiana (physical health), Iowa (fetal abnormality), Mississippi (fetal abnormality), Utah (physical health and fetal abnormality), Virginia (fetal abnormality), and Wisconsin (physical health).

All or Most Health Circumstances: Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and West Virginia.

Noncompliant with the Hyde Amendment: South Dakota (life endangerment only).

http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/facts/public_funding.html

So the Bishops are right. But they are a little late.

Last edited:
From what I understand it's way too complicated. In certain states, federal funds are already being used for Medicaid funded abortions.

Does anyone know if Planned Parenthood gets federal funds? Is that a dumb question?

Here it is:
State Funding for Abortion under Medicaid

Funding under Hyde Amendment Only: Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Wyoming.

Hyde Amendment and Additional Health Circumstances: Indiana (physical health), Iowa (fetal abnormality), Mississippi (fetal abnormality), Utah (physical health and fetal abnormality), Virginia (fetal abnormality), and Wisconsin (physical health).

All or Most Health Circumstances: Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and West Virginia.

Noncompliant with the Hyde Amendment: South Dakota (life endangerment only).

National Abortion Federation: Public Funding for Abortion: Medicaid and the Hyde Amendment

So the Bishops are right. But they are a little late.

Planned Parenthood does receive federal funds for their sex education programs.

As for Medicaid funding for abortions, there is nothing under federal law that prevents states from funding abortions with their own money.

And once you're pregnant you get medical through the state, which continues for two months after you either give birth or get an abortion, either way. But if you want an abortion, in most states, you've got to cough up the cash yourself.

Forum List

Back