White House Open To Gas Tax Hike To Pay For Infrastructure Upgrades

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I don't understand why the federal government is involved in this in the first place. Why do we even have a federal gas tax? We have 50 states in this country with their own excise tax on gasoline. There is no reason why the states cannot manage their own infrastructure. Leaving it in the hands of DC only opens it up to corruption as the politicians with the higher seniority are given priority to fund their pet projects in their states with tax dollars from other states over those infrastructure needs elsewhere that might be more vital. Ted Stevens' "Bridge to Nowhere" comes to mind. Let Californians pay for California's highways and let Vermont pay for Vermont's.

White House Open To Gas Tax Hike To Pay For Infrastructure Upgrades | HuffPost

I don't understand why the federal government is involved in this in the first place. Why do we even have a federal gas tax? We have 50 states in this country with their own excise tax on gasoline. There is no reason why the states cannot manage their own infrastructure. Leaving it in the hands of DC only opens it up to corruption as the politicians with the higher seniority are given priority to fund their pet projects in their states with tax dollars from other states over those infrastructure needs elsewhere that might be more vital. Ted Stevens' "Bridge to Nowhere" comes to mind. Let Californians pay for California's highways and let Vermont pay for Vermont's.

No doubt, Leaving it up to the federal government means absolute waste fraud and abuse

Has to be a Democrat proposal because all their faithful drive cute little electrics and won't be paying any gas tax. And....if they don't already have an "electric" surely there'll be proposed something like The Great ObamaPhone giveaway to make sure they are protected!

Well, those who use infrastructure like cars, are the payers, in a way it makes quite a bit of sense.
The federal government should have no involvement in infrastructure, They’re very amateurish on anything like that, plus they’re all about waste fraud and abuse

Last edited:
Well, those who use infrastructure like cars, are the payers, in a way it makes quite a bit of sense.
The federal government should have no involvement infrastructure, They’re very amateurish on anything like that, plus they’re all about waste fraud and abuse

Infrastructure would have a profit tag, and delayed toll charge on all the "Owned" roads?

Inefficient, and expensive for the masses?

Furthermore, many projects would never get done.

Libertarians are ridiculous.

The federal government should have no involvement infrastructure, They’re very amateurish on anything like that, plus they’re all about waste fraud and abuse

Infrastructure would have a profit tag, and delayed toll charge on all the "Owned" roads?

The federal government’s all about waste fraud and abuse, so they do not qualify for anything like infrastructure

I said the other day in a thread that is how we pay for the infrastructure. They have to get money somewhere since they cut taxes otherwise.

The federal government’s all about waste fraud and abuse, so they do not qualify for anything like infrastructure

Ridiculous, most roads would be expensive with added profits taken into consideration, and would be hyper inefficient having tolls all over the dang place.

The lower middle class, and lower class would have trouble even getting the cash to get to work.

Basically just a system vision for the benefit of only the wealthy.

There is no reason to raise it. The current federal rate of 18.4cpg should go to the states who are much more efficient and accountable for their revenues and expenditures.

Toll roads are a better idea....let those who use these roads and bridges the most pay a little more for repairs and upkeep. Heavy trucks are the pavement-destroyers so figure out a way to ding them a little more to offset the damage they do. The major thing the President has done is to get the regs cut way back to expedite the needed projects. I don't like the gas-tax idea since we paid almost $4 a gallon a few years back. With our new energy superpower status, we should enjoy the benefits of it. We need more refining capacity and it's been 30 years since a new refinery has been built. This puts us at risk if somebody got an ICBM past our defense and hit Houston. So spread 3 or 4 news ones around the country both for defense and logistical purposes.

Toll roads are a better idea....let those who use these roads and bridges the most pay a little more for repairs and upkeep. Heavy trucks are the pavement-destroyers so figure out a way to ding them a little more to offset the damage they do. The major thing the President has done is to get the regs cut way back to expedite the needed projects. I don't like the gas-tax idea since we paid almost $4 a gallon a few years back. With our new energy superpower status, we should enjoy the benefits of it. We need more refining capacity and it's been 30 years since a new refinery has been built. This puts us at risk if somebody got an ICBM past our defense and hit Houston. So spread 3 or 4 news ones around the country both for defense and logistical purposes.

Yeah, some neighborhoods have like 100's of roads in a matter of miles, imagine how many tolls would be all over the place?

Everything there would take about 5 X longer just to get to work, or get groceries.

Libertarians have very bizarre ideas.

I don’t like it either, but there are federal highways that they are responsible for, the states aren’t.

Yeah, some neighborhoods have like 100's of roads in a matter of miles, imagine how many tolls would be all over the place?

Everything there would take about 5 X longer just to get to work, or get groceries.

I'm talking about the freeway system...that's federal dollars. County roads and city streets obviously aren't designed for tolls...I'd think you'd have understood that.

I'm talking about the freeway system...that's federal dollars. County roads and city streets obviously aren't designed for tolls...I'd think you'd have understood that.

Go take the Garden State in New Jersey, with it's numerous tolls, and get back to us.

No one likes this crap, but some "Rich f*cks" think it's great to spend more time, so long as they save a little of their taxes.

Maniacs, pure f'n mania.

Yeah, not sure about your state, but California pisses away gas tax money on anything but infrastructure.

Go take the Garden State in New Jersey, with it's numerous tolls, and get back to us.

No one likes this crap, but some "Rich f*cks" think it's great to spend more time, so long as they save a little of their taxes.

Maniacs, pure f'n mania.

"us"? You're the only who doesn't understand plain talk. I don't give a shit about New Jersey or anybody dumb enough to live in that sewer....you get what you deserve being a Rat state. My concerns are mostly in the Rust Belt which has the worst weather and has been badly neglected in the past 30 years. If we want to bring back the upper midwest we have to fix their roads and bridges. Doing this also puts them in the GOP camp in gratitude.

It's truly amazing to me how many of you read and yet are completely incapable of reading.

At no point did I say I opposed taxation or an increase in taxation for infrastructure and yet I'm getting multiple retorts of, "well the money has to come from somewhere, well tax cuts, well Libertarian bullshit blah blah blah." I'm simply questioning the process of having the federal government manage infrastructure when the states are perfectly capable of doing it on their own and would probably do a better job overall. If they have to raise their own gas taxes or create toll highways to do it, then so be it. What I'm saying is the feds need to be cut out of the picture.

Forum List

Back