While Fringe Base Busy With Mandate Ben Ghazzi - McConnell cuts deal with Reed

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
While Fringe Base Busy With Mandate Ben Ghazzi - McConnell cuts deal with Reed
:clap2:

This is politics as it should be practiced...for the good of the nation and the eff with the fringe base(s)

While Dante agrees the filibuster has been abused by the GOP, reform proposals are almost always throwing teh baby out with the bath water...but I love the idea that McConnell saw room to make deals behind the fringe base's back while they are busy with imbecilities on Libya

The fight to rewrite the filibuster, that pesky blocking maneuver used by senators to quietly kill a bill before it even arrives on the Senate floor, appears to be over. As the Huffington Post reports, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have cut a compromise deal that will make it easier for the Senate to begin debating new legislation, while also speeding up the process of voting to confirm the president's judicial nominations. But the deal does not include the major reform liberals wanted: the so-called "talking filibuster," which would force senators to remain speaking on the Senate floor for as long as they wanted to filibuster.

Real Filibuster Reform Appears to Be Dead in the Senate | Mother Jones

I like the talking filibuster idea. It requires more conviction from the people behind the filibuster whereas right now it's just a political stunt.

I like the concept too, but would it really do anything? Nothing would have changed much with that one rule change. McConnell used it as cover...they caved to Reed while the fringe was out on a mandate with Ben Ghazzi

I like the talking filibuster idea. It requires more conviction from the people behind the filibuster whereas right now it's just a political stunt.

I like the concept too, but would it really do anything? Nothing would have changed much with that one rule change. McConnell used it as cover...they caved to Reed while the fringe was out on a mandate with Ben Ghazzi

I bet it would give C-Span a huge ratings spike :lol:

And you know what that's going to change? Absolutely nothing.

Why? Because filibusters arent the problem. The problem is Harry Reid wont let any proposal that passes a Republican house up for a vote in the Senate. He's still in charge. Democrats are still in control. So there will still be countless bills passed in the House that the Senate will never bother voting on.

Filibuster only matters if you control both the House and Senate.

Why? Because filibusters arent the problem. The problem is Harry Reid wont let any proposal that passes a Republican house up for a vote in the Senate. He's still in charge. Democrats are still in control. So there will still be countless bills passed in the House that the Senate will never bother voting on.

please do try to keep up....

I know it must be hard for you now the most of the right wing nuts at USMB have taken up residence in the Flame Zone, but please...maybe watch and listen and read more...and then take baby steps in posting intelligent and rational posts?

:eusa_angel:

I know it must be hard for you now the most of the right wing nuts at USMB have taken up residence in the Flame Zone, but please...maybe watch and listen and read more...and then take baby steps in posting intelligent and rational posts?

Who cares about the flame zone? You didn't bother to address the fact that this change will not actually change anything that happens. The filibuster is only needed to stop legislation if you are minority in both chambers of Congress. Changing these rules does not stop Harry Reid from preventing bills passed in the House from reaching the Floor of the Senate.

Of course, you probably think me pointing that out is stupid. Go ahead. Doesn't change the fact that you aren't bothering to deal with it.

BTW Im all for changing the filibuster rule. In fact, Id have made it talking filibusters, like they are supposed to have. Let's stop letting these politicians be lazy.

Who cares about the flame zone? You didn't bother to address the fact that this change will not actually change anything that happens. The filibuster is only needed to stop legislation if you are minority in both chambers of Congress. Changing these rules does not stop Harry Reid from preventing bills passed in the House from reaching the Floor of the Senate.

Of course, you probably think me pointing that out is stupid. Go ahead. Doesn't change the fact that you aren't bothering to deal with it.

BTW Im all for changing the filibuster rule. In fact, Id have made it talking filibusters, like they are supposed to have. Let's stop letting these politicians be lazy.

I agree with you there. Of course it's the other way around in that Bills supported by the President and passed by the Senate would get no support in the House.

Reed is giving the GOP all the rope they need to hang themselves by 2014. Obstruct away.

It's both of them, you shouldn't make it sound like an either-or problem. What Reid allows on the floor the republicans filibuster, what the republicans won't filibuster Reid won't allow on the floor. Both sides are acting like 5 year olds.

The abuse of the filibuster gets worse as time goes on. Whenever the GOP has been in power things have gotten worse for raw ideological power...the filibuster rule being a mere pawn in an ideological game to control regulation and congressional power: The Next Hurrah: Notes on the Nuclear Option -- Part XI

As though it weren’t enough that Nuclear Republicans are ignoring what makes the “constitutional option” constitutional, and then throwing out the rulebook to make it work, they’re also selling the theory to the public by claiming that even “liberal” law professors support it.

In a memo dated February 28th and widely circulated to members of the press, C. Boyden Gray, formerly White House counsel to the first President Bush, attempted to bolster his own questionable constitutional interpretation of the nuclear option with quotes taken from three well-known legal scholars: Susan Low Bloch and Mark Tushnet of Georgetown University, and Cass Sunstein of the University of Chicago. In each instance, Gray made certain to set up the quotes by establishing that they came from “liberals” or a “prominent Democratic strategist.” In two of the three cases, Gray fails to cite to any actual source for the remarks he attributes to these professors, and in all three he leaves out context critical to understanding their comments, in at least one case, completely reversing the writer’s intent.

right wing tactic from Gray going as far back as when he was serving VP Bush

Last edited:

Forum List

Back