Which series was shut down too soon in your opinion?

The executives that canceled the original Star Trek must have spent the rest of their lives regretting that one.
My theory is that the original Star Trek became a success because it was canceled and then went into syndication. The show became popular with children and dads that enjoyed watching the reruns in the afternoon. The overacting of Shatner and the story lines of the show were not that great 60's prime time material, but it was perfect for kids like me to watch after school in the 70's.

Last edited:
Blue Bloods is in its 14th and final season now. I am kind of torn about this. Fourteen years is a pretty good run and I would love to see it continue, but you also have actors in Tom Selleck and Len Cariou well in their 70s so there's that.
Tom just hit 70 in January and Len will be 85 in September.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, the Glades should've been given the proper send off, but it ended with a question mark in 2013. Who the heck shot Jim Longworth???

Don't Jump the Shark

Happy Days, was originally a sitcom about a teenage boy growing in Milwaukee in the 1950s. Of course, teenage boys don't stay that way forever. The main character and his friends had no choice but to grow older and grow up, graduate from high school. The main character got married, had a child, and then went off to join the Army, leaving his wife and child (and the show) to live with his parents while he was stationed in Greenland.

With Ritchie gone, the whole focus of the show changed, the original premise was gone, but somehow, it managed to thrive for a few years past that.

The phrase “Jump the Shark” refers to something that happened in one of the later seasons, where the character Fonzie, on waterskies, literally jumps over a corral containing a live shark. That is often cited as the moment that everyone involved in making this show realized and understood that it had long outlived its premise and purpose, and that the time was coming to bring it to an orderly end. And that is how the phrase came to be used in a more general sense, to represent any other show or endeavor having reached a similar point, where it's getting time to bring it to an end.

Tom just hit 70 in January and Len will be 85 in September.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, the Glades should've been given the proper send off, but it ended with a question mark in 2013. Who the heck shot Jim Longworth???
On a side note, it looks like tonight's episode of Law & Order is going to be Sam Waterston's last, at least that's what the promo is teasing.

Night Sky
It was a great show, but in typical Amazon fashion, despite overwhelming positive reviews they cancel it anyway.

ss.jpg

There was a show, a log time ago, called Nowhere Man. It involved a man targeted by a bizarre, mysterious conspiracy, that became more bizarre and mysterious as the show progressed.

As the series was coming to an end, I remember promotionals promising that the final episode would reveal everything. It did no such thing. All it revealed was that a few critical things that we had been led to assume, all along, were real, were not.

The Wikipedia article describes a conclusion that is not what I saw in the final aired episode.

I think we are owed a real final episode, that gives a real answer as to what the conspiracy really was, not the bullshit final episode that I actually saw, and not the nonexistent bullshit episode that the Wikipedia falsely claims to have existed.

An odd thought just now occurred to me; perhaps the Wikipedia has been seeded with misinformation, in order to foster a sense of paranoia about the show, somewhat in line with the premise of the show itself. A major point of the whole show was that the main character couldn't trust what any source of supposed information was telling him, and ultimately couldn't; even trust his own memories. I wonder if the Wikipedia article, and perhaps whatever other online information may now exist about that show, is seeded with misinformation to create that same sense of real-life paranoia and uncertainty about the show.

I'm now reminded of something I've had to say about the wonderful, bizarre, 1960s British TV show, The Prisoner. I suspect that the star and creator of the show, Patrick McGoohan, would not approve of the use of such a vulgar term in connection with his show, but it really cannot be adequately described without using the word “mindfuck”. It's what, in some episodes, the main character did to his captors, and in other episodes, what his captors tried to do to him. In the end, in the final episode, the biggest mindfuck was saved for the audience. I read somewhere that after the last episode aired, McGoohan had to go into hiding for a while, because everywhere he went, he was confronted by fans demanding that he explain that last episode.

Forum List

Back