Which NFL players are your all-time favorites?

O J Simpson was before......well you know.

OJ was a great running back, but no Walter Payton, Earl Campbell or Barry Sanders. And one back we forget in all this is Eric Dickerson.

Jim Brown (From what I saw--and you only really see highlights) was incredible. Frank Gifford said that Brown was the only opposing player that he would watch during a game.

No doubt Brown was great, but imo he was not better than Payton or Sanders. But if you make a Mt. Rushmore of running backs, he on the mountain.

Jim Brown was the most dominant RB of his time. Payton was great, but he played at the same time as OJ Simpson, Earl Campbell...Sanders played at the same time as Emmett Smith...who played when Jim Brown did that was a great RB? Brown was the leading rusher in 8 of his 9 years. When compared to his contemporaries, I don't think any RB since has been as good as Brown. Again, though, it's so hard to compare. Different eras of the game.

I agree, but there were other backs in the 60's such as Sayers, Horning, Taylor, Mitchell, etc. but Brown was the best one. Payton was the best of his era and if Sanders had the line Smith did, he would have run for 20,000 yards. Again I think we need to add Eric Dickerson and probably should not ignore Franco Harris.

OJ

OJ was great but he was no Earl or Payton.

Better than Earl, not as good as Walter Payton
OJ played at the same time as Campbell and was considered the better back.

Not to me. As a safety, I would rather meet OJ in the open field than Campbell.

Hell yeah. Earl was a monster with explosive speed.

Payton. Have his jersey and his memorabilia and, his and Cal Ripken Jrs. are the only people I've ever spent my money on.

Payton was the shit. Great in all facets, team player, sportsman and loved playing the game. Who can forget the smile on the guy's face as he shredded defenses, or got creamed, then popped up to give his tackler a hand up, or how he stretched the ball forward every single time to try to grind out another inch or two, or the goosestep into the endzone.

His workouts, preparation and performance, and, most importantly IMO, sportmanship are legendary. He played to win and did it with class.

We may never see another that comes close to hitting all the notes the way he did.
Walter Payton was great but I think Barry Sanders was better. They all work out and Sanders had great sportsmanship although I don't grade sportsmanship high when you play a violent sport. You expect some nastiness to come in such a physical game.

Sanders was great also, no doubt. Crazy explosive running back that coud make db's look foolish every Sunday.

I'm sticking with Payton, although I'm biased. Grew up watching the guy.
So did I. I also watched Sanders run through my former high school football team years after I had graduated that had one of the best defenses in the state for 190 yards, then watched him run for damn near 3,000 yards in one college season in the Big 8 conference, and then run to within a few hundred yards of Payton in less time and choose to retire. Don't get me wrong, I am most definitely a Walter Payton fan, but Sanders IMO was better. Two of a kind if you ask me.

But my favorite was Earl Campbell. He was brutal.
The difference between Walter and Barry is Walter never ran out of bounds or went to the ground before contact. Both were tremendous runners but I agree Barry was better, even though he played his entire career for a shitty team.
Everybody runs out of bounds
Being a tough guy and taking unnecessary hits only risks injury and increases the likelihood of fumbling
No they don’t. Walter seldom ran out of bounds. Neither did Campbell.

However I do think Barry and others who did, were smart. Why risk injury?

I believe Barry holds the record for the most carriers for lost yardage. Of course for many years of his career he had a shitty offensive line.
Everyone likes a tough guy
The runner who refuses to go down.

If it means getting a first down or TD, by all means, fight for every inch. But not every carry is like that.
Especially today, I see defenses are more oriented toward getting the strip. Plus, players today are trying to minimize hits. Especially unnecessary ones.
Some of the old tough guys are telling stories that don't sound so good. Last time I saw Earl Campbell he was either using a walker or a cane. I can't remember which and at the time he was in his late 40's.
Earl took some damage but also gave as much as he took.
Last I saw he was crippled but still had his senses

Jim MacMahon has some serious CPD

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

OJ was a great running back, but no Walter Payton, Earl Campbell or Barry Sanders. And one back we forget in all this is Eric Dickerson.

Jim Brown (From what I saw--and you only really see highlights) was incredible. Frank Gifford said that Brown was the only opposing player that he would watch during a game.

No doubt Brown was great, but imo he was not better than Payton or Sanders. But if you make a Mt. Rushmore of running backs, he on the mountain.

Jim Brown was the most dominant RB of his time. Payton was great, but he played at the same time as OJ Simpson, Earl Campbell...Sanders played at the same time as Emmett Smith...who played when Jim Brown did that was a great RB? Brown was the leading rusher in 8 of his 9 years. When compared to his contemporaries, I don't think any RB since has been as good as Brown. Again, though, it's so hard to compare. Different eras of the game.

I agree, but there were other backs in the 60's such as Sayers, Horning, Taylor, Mitchell, etc. but Brown was the best one. Payton was the best of his era and if Sanders had the line Smith did, he would have run for 20,000 yards. Again I think we need to add Eric Dickerson and probably should not ignore Franco Harris.

OJ

No question
OJ would juke around you, Earl would bowl you over

Another great one.....Bo Jackson

OJ

No question

Earl likely extends his career and be in better shape today, had he tried to avoid contact.

Sayers's first year was 65, which was Brown's last. Gayle Sayers was great (when he was able to play), but not really a contemporary of Brown. :dunno: Jim Taylor and Bobby Mitchell were both very good at the same time as Brown.

I don't think Franco Harris is really in the same category as the all-time greats, but Dickerson was incredible.

Payton. Have his jersey and his memorabilia and, his and Cal Ripken Jrs. are the only people I've ever spent my money on.

Payton was the shit. Great in all facets, team player, sportsman and loved playing the game. Who can forget the smile on the guy's face as he shredded defenses, or got creamed, then popped up to give his tackler a hand up, or how he stretched the ball forward every single time to try to grind out another inch or two, or the goosestep into the endzone.

His workouts, preparation and performance, and, most importantly IMO, sportmanship are legendary. He played to win and did it with class.

We may never see another that comes close to hitting all the notes the way he did.
Walter Payton was great but I think Barry Sanders was better. They all work out and Sanders had great sportsmanship although I don't grade sportsmanship high when you play a violent sport. You expect some nastiness to come in such a physical game.

Sanders was great also, no doubt. Crazy explosive running back that coud make db's look foolish every Sunday.

So did I. I also watched Sanders run through my former high school football team years after I had graduated that had one of the best defenses in the state for 190 yards, then watched him run for damn near 3,000 yards in one college season in the Big 8 conference, and then run to within a few hundred yards of Payton in less time and choose to retire. Don't get me wrong, I am most definitely a Walter Payton fan, but Sanders IMO was better. Two of a kind if you ask me.

The difference between Walter and Barry is Walter never ran out of bounds or went to the ground before contact. Both were tremendous runners but I agree Barry was better, even though he played his entire career for a shitty team.
Being a tough guy and taking unnecessary hits only risks injury and increases the likelihood of fumbling

I believe Barry holds the record for the most carriers for lost yardage. Of course for many years of his career he had a shitty offensive line.

If it means getting a first down or TD, by all means, fight for every inch. But not every carry is like that.
Especially today, I see defenses are more oriented toward getting the strip. Plus, players today are trying to minimize hits. Especially unnecessary ones.
Some of the old tough guys are telling stories that don't sound so good. Last time I saw Earl Campbell he was either using a walker or a cane. I can't remember which and at the time he was in his late 40's.

True. I almost cried when I saw Earl and the piece on MacMahon.

Jim McMahon did not help himself with his style of play.

OJ

No question

Bo was no joke either. But he just didn't play long enough for me to put him up there with Brown, Payton, Campbell, Sanders, etc. If he had, there is little doubt imo he would be one of the greats. .

Jim McMahon did not help himself with his style of play.
No he didn't. That is the truth.

OJ

No question

Bo was no joke either. But he just didn't play long enough for me to put him up there with Brown, Payton, Campbell, Sanders, etc. If he had, there is little doubt imo he would be one of the greats. .

Bo used to miss the first five games of the season while he played Baseball. When he came back, he was spectacular.

Sad that injury ruined his career

• Thanks

Sayers's first year was 65, which was Brown's last. Gayle Sayers was great (when he was able to play), but not really a contemporary of Brown. :dunno: Jim Taylor and Bobby Mitchell were both very good at the same time as Brown.

I don't think Franco Harris is really in the same category as the all-time greats, but Dickerson was incredible.

I think Franco was overshadowed but his numbers speak loud. Eric Dickerson was a baaaaaad man.

OJ

No question

Bo used to miss the first five games of the season while he played Baseball. When he came back, he was spectacular.

Being that I am a Royals fan, I wished he had stuck with baseball.

OJ

No question

I think he would have had a long career if he just stuck to Baseball

• Thanks

OJ

No question

Agreed.

Imagine you’re a second basemen or catcher, and Bo is barreling down on you. His size and speed would be very intimidating. A bigger and faster version of Pete Rose.

• Thanks

OJ

No question

Agreed.

Imagine you’re a second basemen or catcher, and Bo is barreling down on you. His size and speed would be very intimidating. A bigger and faster version of Pete Rose.

He ran over a catcher at home plate once. Bo was coming full speed. It hurt me looking at it.

The great Mike Curtis died today. I liked him as a player. He was a maniac.

I love all the old running backs. Walter Payton was amazing, and with so little surrounding him. Earl Campbell was a beast!!

Which is why I am also a fan of Derrick Henry. The man can go head to head with defenses, and if he break through he outruns all but the fastest safeties.

And that stiffarm of his? Devastating.

I love all the old running backs. Walter Payton was amazing, and with so little surrounding him. Earl Campbell was a beast!!

Which is why I am also a fan of Derrick Henry. The man can go head to head with defenses, and if he break through he outruns all but the fastest safeties.

And that stiffarm of his? Devastating.
Yes Henry is a bad man. But my Chiefs had something for that ass. But let's not forget about Adrian Peterson. He is an all time great.

Forum List

Back