Which GOP Candidate Would The Founders Support?...

Something about all men tells me you are dead wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion. :lol:

Just so we understand that is all you have.
Jakes new Avatar
self-esteem-is-awesome.jpg

The T failed American history.

The 3/5 enshrined slavery in the Constitution. There was no inevitable "next step". The fugitive slaw law in the Constitution enshrined slavery. There was no inevitable "next step.:"

You fail at this every time.
The non slave holding States wanted to abolish it...the Southern States wouldn't hear of it and threatened not to sign on to the Constitution.

Try again Fakester.

This is supposing the notion the founders were all of one mind. They weren't. Some were bitter rivals. Washington and Jefferson were not on speaking terms.

It's extremely naive to postulate what 18th century leaders would regard important in the 21th century as well.

At lot as changed. They wouldn't be able to own human beings for one thing.

They had one basic principle that was uncompromising for them. It's was liberty and freedom of choice.

For white male land owners, everyone else, not so much. They were just fine with only a minority of the population having full voting rights.

there was free blacks who owned property (who fought in the revolutionary war) and had slaves and widowed women who owned land and they were able to vote. The idea being that they had some skin in the game, they had an investment, were more informed and had a vested stake in the community.

Maybe, but because of it the southern states never had a majority in Congress, which was the whole point. Moron.

The south should have gotten no credit for slaves since they themselves did not consider them people. If they wanted them to count, they should have freed them

Then the States would have been separate countries. Would that have been better?

That's where we ended up eventually wasn't it?

The south should have gotten no credit for slaves since they themselves did not consider them people. If they wanted them to count, they should have freed them

Then the States would have been separate countries. Would that have been better?

Lol...so youre a secessionist huh? Pro-south in the 1850s? Better for the slave states to be out of the union right? I love catching people pants down in their own lack of logic.

Lol...so youre a secessionist huh? Pro-south in the 1850s? Better for the slave states to be out of the union right? I love catching people pants down in their own lack of logic.

As usual....you are totally clueless

Slavery, as an institution, was unsustainable. The south was willing to pay any price to protect their peculiar institution. They even maintained Jim Crow for 100 years.

Sooner or later, the south was going to be slapped down. It should have happened sooner

Interesting take from Brion McClanahan.

I am often asked in interviews if the founding generation would recognize the modern government in Washington, D.C. I always answer yes, they would. They would recognize tyranny, the usurpation of power by the executive branch, the trampling of civil liberties and the endless wars of a government bent on empire. The several states seceded from a government like that in 1776 and they would probably advocate the same course today. Barack Obama has more power than George III ever had. That said, the next question is usually, “Well, what do we do about it and who among the current crop of presidential candidates would best adhere to the founding principles?"

The answer to the first part of that question is more complex than the answer to the second part. If Americans truly believed in limited government, then we would be following the prescription that Thomas Jefferson and James Madison made in 1798 by ignoring unconstitutional federal laws, participating in local and state government and using the powers of the states as a hedge against the general government. This is a long war that requires education and what Jefferson called “manly firmness.” Most important, the Constitution would not have been ratified had the founding generation believed that the states would become mere provinces of the general government or that what Patrick Henry called the “sweeping clauses” would be abused. The political class has to be held responsible.

As for the second part of that question, the answer is simple: Ron Paul. No one man can save the federal republic, but if the Founders, with perhaps an exception or two, had their choice, it would be the man who has the best understanding of the original construction of the executive branch, and among the four remaining Republicans, the best understanding of the Constitution and the original intent in general. Mitt Romney has conceded he knows little about the principles of federalism (with the exception of correctly insisting that Romneycare in Massachusetts is a state issue) and defers to Paul on the Constitution; Newt Gingrich believes that federal judges should be dragged before Congress to “answer” for their decisions (News flash, Newt! Federal judges can be impeached); Rick Santorum thinks that the phrase “pursuit of happiness” is in the Constitution, or perhaps the Declaration of Independence is a governing document, I couldn’t tell by his incoherent statements to Glenn Beck. All believe that the general government should be charged with finding “solutions” to societal ills. All believe that the president is a prime minister charged with initiating legislation and have a “progressive” view of executive powers, particularly in regard to foreign policy, the antithesis of the original intent. All, that is, except Ron Paul.

Read more: Ron Paul | Which GOP candidate would the Founders support? | The Daily Caller

The founders would do the same thing anyone who cares about our Constitution has to do. Choose the lesser evil. Which is any of the GOP candidates over Obama and the left.

Interesting take from Brion McClanahan.

I am often asked in interviews if the founding generation would recognize the modern government in Washington, D.C. I always answer yes, they would. They would recognize tyranny, the usurpation of power by the executive branch, the trampling of civil liberties and the endless wars of a government bent on empire. The several states seceded from a government like that in 1776 and they would probably advocate the same course today. Barack Obama has more power than George III ever had. That said, the next question is usually, “Well, what do we do about it and who among the current crop of presidential candidates would best adhere to the founding principles?"

The answer to the first part of that question is more complex than the answer to the second part. If Americans truly believed in limited government, then we would be following the prescription that Thomas Jefferson and James Madison made in 1798 by ignoring unconstitutional federal laws, participating in local and state government and using the powers of the states as a hedge against the general government. This is a long war that requires education and what Jefferson called “manly firmness.” Most important, the Constitution would not have been ratified had the founding generation believed that the states would become mere provinces of the general government or that what Patrick Henry called the “sweeping clauses” would be abused. The political class has to be held responsible.

As for the second part of that question, the answer is simple: Ron Paul. No one man can save the federal republic, but if the Founders, with perhaps an exception or two, had their choice, it would be the man who has the best understanding of the original construction of the executive branch, and among the four remaining Republicans, the best understanding of the Constitution and the original intent in general. Mitt Romney has conceded he knows little about the principles of federalism (with the exception of correctly insisting that Romneycare in Massachusetts is a state issue) and defers to Paul on the Constitution; Newt Gingrich believes that federal judges should be dragged before Congress to “answer” for their decisions (News flash, Newt! Federal judges can be impeached); Rick Santorum thinks that the phrase “pursuit of happiness” is in the Constitution, or perhaps the Declaration of Independence is a governing document, I couldn’t tell by his incoherent statements to Glenn Beck. All believe that the general government should be charged with finding “solutions” to societal ills. All believe that the president is a prime minister charged with initiating legislation and have a “progressive” view of executive powers, particularly in regard to foreign policy, the antithesis of the original intent. All, that is, except Ron Paul.

Read more: Ron Paul | Which GOP candidate would the Founders support? | The Daily Caller

The founders would do the same thing anyone who cares about our Constitution has to do. Choose the lesser evil. Which is any of the GOP candidates over Obama and the left.
As compared to voting to keep King George the tyrant in charge? You bet they would in modern parlence...but don't think for a minute WE wouldn't be lectured on how far we have let things go off the path they laid out, and fucked it up.

That's not true, CM. Sarah, Michelle, Rick, Rick II, Herman, Newt, etc., are worse than BHO. Romney will be OK, I think. Doug C or Marco R would be better. BHO is not even a little bit OK, but he is better than the first six I named.

That's not true, CM. Sarah, Michelle, Rick, Rick II, Herman, Newt, etc., are worse than BHO. Romney will be OK, I think. Doug C or Marco R would be better. BHO is not even a little bit OK, but he is better than the first six I named.

Just your support of romney is enough to stir me away from him, that is if I hadn't already knew his history.

No one will follow a klucker's path like yours, bigrebnc.

I wish you would forgive yourself and give up that bad past.

No one will follow a klucker's path like yours, bigrebnc.

I wish you would forgive yourself and give up that bad past.

My past? I have no regrets from my past. I have done nothing wrong, unlike you I don't weasel what I am, unlike you what I say I mean unlike you I don't support a flip flopper. Unlike you I have principles.

He lived it down and made up for it.

You can, as well.

You have not acted out on it in some time, and that is good, but admitting your darker self and fighting it openly would be good for you.

He lived it down and made up for it.

You can, as well.

You have not acted out on it in some time, and that is good, but admitting your darker self and fighting it openly would be good for you.

jake you are a racist . you project what you are hoping that your evil will leave you into someone else.

In retrospect, he made up for it.

You, T, are morally insane, just like CrusaderFrank.

bigreb, on the other hand, not only knows the difference but is trying to become a better person.

You should be thankful he even talks to you.

Forum List

Back