Where Would You Relocate for a Job?

I would prefer not to leave the town where we live now until my kids are in school, but I'd be open to the west/northwest: Denver, Salt Lake, Seattle, Spokane, or Portland. Atlanta wouldn't be bad, either. I've spent a lot of time in Houston and Pittsburgh, those wouldn't be bad either, but I'm afraid the cold in Pgh would kill me.

Would NOT want to live in New York.

Last edited:
About 2 years ago I was facing a crossroads in my life. I had left an abusive relationship, and every time I went out in the town where I raised my two older boys and where my family lived, I risked running into my asshole ex and any of his fifteen million dysfunctional and crazy relatives.

I was torn between remaining there and toughing it out..primarily because that's where my base of support lived, and because in staying there I could make sure my kids continued to be a part of the Indian culture that is their heritage.

I stuck it out a year, it was miserable and I came to the realization that if I remained there yeah, they would be a part of the tribe. Unfortunately, their closest relatives in their age group (which came from all families of the tribe) were dysfunctional and insane, and in the meantime I would still have to deal with the crazy relatives every time I left my house.

So I put in my applications. I chose every city in my state that wasn't Portland or Salem, I had no desire to live in a city. My family is a part of the horse culture, I graduated from a school with 3 kids in my graduating class. I put in for federal jobs the world over and state jobs in my state.

I got my dream job...which is in a tiny, TINY east central Oregon town, and I relocated within 8 weeks to start on a new career.

It's the best thing I could have done. My kids are missing out on their Indian heritage...which includes abuse, addiction, and gang membership. I'm sad that they also are no longer a part of the cultural aspects...but the good by far outweighs the bad and it was the best choice I ever made.

So my dream job is my reality...in one of the tiniest towns in Oregon, in an area I'm familiar with, where I can have my horses and where my daughter's class consists of herself and one other.

I don't know why people are so tied to the cities. It baffles me. I can understand it for young people who want to experience all the cities have to offer...but when it comes to family and freedom, I'm for the wide open spaces and tiny class sizes.

In most cases, people like what they are accustomed to. I like being able to see faces of all ethnic backgrounds. I like visiting Chinatown, Little Italy, Spanish neighborhoods. I went to visit my native country a while back and it was horrible seeing the same faces everyday.

As far as having a lot of land, we have our own home and have enough land so our children can play in the backyard. I like seeing my neighbors and lots of time we have conversations over the fence.

If I had to live in a small town, I would die in the quiet. I've visited small towns and visiting is just fine for me.

Living expenses are relatively high here, but we get so many services that we don't mind. I'm sure others would disagree, but that's fine by me. It works for us.

I'd rather not live in a city period. Hate the traffic, all the people, the crime, the buildings, all the concrete. I prefer a little town myself. But if I HAD to make a change for a dream job, (has to be a dream since I'm retired), I'd consider moving to Bozeman, Montana. That's as big of a city as I could take, and it's real close to some of the prettiest country in America.

Last edited:
I would prefer not to leave the town where we live now until my kids are in school, but I'd be open to the west/northwest: Denver, Salt Lake, Seattle, Spokane, or Portland. Atlanta wouldn't be bad, either. I've spent a lot of time in Houston and Pittsburgh, those wouldn't be bad either, but I'm afraid the cold in Pgh would kill me.

Would NOT want to live in New York.

salt lake city sucks

I can't imagine moving out of New York City. ex-New Yorkers I know complain about the lack of excitement in other cities. I've been to other big cities like Boston, Philly, D.C. and they don't compare.
I have often said that any square foot of New York City is better than the entire city of Los Angeles.

salt lake city sucks

I loved living in SLC. I had a great job with the PD in SLC and tons of friends. I miss the mountains, A LOT. But, I didn't want to raise kids as minorities in that particular culture. I didn't think it would be good for them. When my kids are grown, though, I'd have no problem going back there.

in maine or san diego?

Both.

I was astounded when I lived in SoCA to discover that the water off the coast was colder in July than it was in New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

Of course up here in Midcoast Maine the water is always too damned cold...much like SoCA.

Both.

I was astounded when I lived in SoCA to discover that the water off the coast was colder in July than it was in New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

Of course up here in Midcoast Maine the water is always too damned cold...much like SoCA.

midcoast maine?

I'm currently living in LB, but did not had the time when I got here for swimming in the ocean. I did dip my feet in the pacific though as a test to see if my being here was all really just a dream.

I've got to check out the water temperature in different parts of the coast. It will be a factor in where I move on to from here. Then again, I always swam in cold water so what is the big deal, eh? :doubt:

btw, you can live comfortably in Boston on a lot less than 100,000.00, if you know what to do. It all depends on your lifestyle choices. There are many discounts in the area because of the student population. If you are into the night life and the yuppie type lifestyle of course 100,000.00 is peanuts. Then there is the eurotrash/trustfund lifestyle. Boston has it all. One thing I will miss is the surrounding area. New
England is beautiful and so is the whole of the North East.

Now is the time to buy in the metro Boston area as the foreclosure market is a dream come true for a savvy buyer with knowledge of the area.

Assuming the salary=affordable, probably Boston. Yeah I'd bitch about the winters, but the ocean's close, FL is pretty much straight south down A1A, NYC and DC are doable. Damn it would be great teaching in that area!

And for a time, they were offering any teachers willing to teach in Boston, their State income taxes for free, some property taxes too...in local towns or districts....just to draw in some good teachers at their schools and also in to the field of teaching.

My cousin and her husband were both engineers and a small town on the Cape offered to pay for them to get teacher's licenses, and paid their property taxes for 10 years if they would teach math and science at their town school....

So they left the Army corp and went with the town and teaching and love it!

Mass is pretty aggressive with their pay and in getting good teachers imo!

You should consider going there any way!

It would take one helluva lot of money to entice me to live in the Bay state again.

I loved Boston, but I did it to death.

Western Mass might be okay, though.

I personally would move to the smallest town possible and get to know the people there and their local farming coop. :D

but if it had to be a city, and i had all the money in the world, and I was not afraid of terrorism hitting again, it would be New York City, but Boston would be a close second.

I have stayed or lived in New York, philadelphia, Miami, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, St pete, little Rock, Dallas, Daytona, Jacksonville, Naples, Ft Meyers, Boston, portland maine, Los Angelos, San Francisco, Mobile, New Orleans, Atlanta, Kansas City, St louis, Madison, Milwalkee, minniapolis, Chicago, Memphis, Raleigh, Charlotte, Washington DC, and a few more that i believe i am missing...but New York, with a ton of money and some other dream scenarios, would be my pick.

oh, yeah and Baltimore too

Last edited:
oh shoot, and i forgot Hartford and forgot Providence and forgot Atlantic City and Patterson and Newark and trenton....stayed or lived near all those cities too.

It would take one helluva lot of money to entice me to live in the Bay state again.

I loved Boston, but I did it to death.

Western Mass might be okay, though.

as long as you drive anywhere in the area of Southern New England is close enough to enjoy things in Boston. Lots of people commute in and out of the area for events. If you want to live in the city, neighborhoods away from the downtown area are the way to go. Too much bs and riff raff in downtown neighborhoods. You don't need lots of money if you live a sane lifestyle.

Forum List

Back