Arizona

Hawaii

Where Would You Relocate for a Job?

...probably Boston.

I can't imagine moving out of New York City

I love being in NY....

san diego

Montreal...

Damn, everybody wants to live in liberal, or semi-enlightened areas.

Where's the love for the bible belt, Wichita, Houston, Tulsa, and other deep red conservative areas? (just kidding)

I live in paradise, so I can't imagine moving anywhere else.

Vancouver looks interesting.

Amsterdam would be nice.

I hear Austin Texas has a good quality of life.

Northern California (can't think of any city there though) also looks fairly good.

In order to get me back into any city, I'd need to make a pretty serious salary to offset the lose of physical beauty I tend to gravitate to.

I'd need to make at least enough money to have a retreat in a nearby country settling and an apartment in the city, too.

I don't think I could do that on a educator's salary and I'm not ambitious enough anymore to sell stuff to make a serious living.

Guess I'm gonna stick around here a bit longer.

For the right opportunity I think I would go just about anywhere. I was born and raised in rural Kansas and I recently moved to a big city (Well, it's big to me, LOL) to widen my opportunities. So I know the feeling of jumping into the unfamiliar. It's been an exciting adventure so far. :)

Damn, everybody wants to live in liberal, or semi-enlightened areas.

Where's the love for the bible belt, Wichita, Houston, Tulsa, and other deep red conservative areas? (just kidding)

I live in paradise, so I can't imagine moving anywhere else.

Parts of Texas and New Mexico are definately in the 'Bible belt',and very conservative.

Of all the places I've been, Boston is my favorite. I couldn't live there, though, it's too far from my family. Same goes for New York.

Dallas is very nice. Jacksonville, Atlanta, and Raleigh are also possibilities. I absolutely would never, ever live in California.

I'm going to retire to Hawaii though. It's my goal in life. I love the beaches there. It's so peaceful.

Of all the places I've been, Boston is my favorite. I couldn't live there, though, it's too far from my family.

I lived in Boston proper and area for nearly 20 years.

Partially I did that precisely because it WAS far from my family.

At any rate it was a great town to live in in my opinion.

I had a smashingly good time there when it wasn't totally horrible.

Great bars, great library, museums, arts, music, plenty of young people to keep the place lively.

A tad expensive rent-wise though.

I was looking up rents in some of the area's I used to live in for $500-$600 a month and it looks to me like the apartments I could easily afford tending bar and teaching would not cost about $2500 to $3000 a month utilities NOT included.

So I figure I'd need to make about $100 K a year now to live in Boston in a decent neighborhood in the city.

I lived in Boston proper and area for nearly 20 years.

Partially I did that precisely because it WAS far from my family.

At any rate it was a great town to live in in my opinion.

I had a smashingly good time there when it wasn't totally horrible.

Great bars, great library, museums, arts, music, plenty of young people to keep the place lively.

A tad expensive rent-wise though.

I was looking up rents in some of the area's I used to live in for $500-$600 a month and it looks to me like the apartments I could easily afford tending bar and teaching would not cost about $2500 to $3000 a month utilities NOT included.

So I figure I'd need to make about $100 K a year now to live in Boston in a decent neighborhood in the city.

Boston got screwed by the developers, some nationwide residential real estate and management firms, the statewide ballot to abolish rent control, individual gentrifiers - who wanted genuine urban flavor beyond their double locked front doors and ended up pricing that flavor out of artist lofts and ethnic neighborhoods - and a corrupt licensing board that allowed way too many illegal condo conversions.
It's still a great town in many ways but the old Boston is gone forever. You can live for less than $100k a year now but expect at least 75% of your income to go for housing and forget about owning a car or your home or working less than two jobs.

I was party to some of that development back in the mid 70s.

I wasn't aware that Boston even had rent control.

I know that Cambridge did though, which is why the only people I knew who could afford to live there were living in rent controlled apartments that they either inherited from somebody else (to keep the rent from rising) or they rented from someone who was still legally the leaseholder.

Good town, but if you have enough dough, I expect most cities really are pretty good places to live.

Must say, anywhere. But my dream job requires no relocation, just remote access. But if I had to I would prefer Japan, Canada, or the UK.

I was party to some of that development back in the mid 70s.

I wasn't aware that Boston even had rent control.

I know that Cambridge did though, which is why the only people I knew who could afford to live there were living in rent controlled apartments that they either inherited from somebody else (to keep the rent from rising) or they rented from someone who was still legally the leaseholder.

Good town, but if you have enough dough, I expect most cities really are pretty good places to live.

Boston had rent control too. Many tenants did not even know their units were under control. I didn't find out mine was till someone in the building made a complaint to Inspectional Services about the heat.

I absolutely could not live in a city. I would suffocate.

Now I have several acres of land, a huge barn that's my wood shop/ haven/ never ending project. I have 10 or 12 acres of empty land on 3 sides a lot of it is protected wetlands so never a worry about neighbors crowding me.

Our back yard is a fenced in one acre extension of our living room where we hang out with the dogs around the fire pit all year round. We have a few sitting areas, some hammocks a big deck and plans to expand to a second level with a hot tub next year and maybe an outdoor sauna.

I could not imagine living cheek to jowl with millions of other people.

I guess I'm a country boy through and through.

Hey, I was willing to relocate to India to keep my job, but no go...those jobs are for India's citizens.

I would not relocate to New York, unless it paid enough money to live in New York. Personally, I'd like a well paying job in the midwest. At least they have 4 seasons, here in the Pacific Northwest, we only have two, wet and wetter, and no one has been able to figure out which is which.

Forum List

Back