When will an AI achieve the same intelligence as a human being?

When will an AI achieve the same intelligence as a human being?

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Never. It will not happen

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
But we already have all these answers now so...
So we can abandon science and adopt a faith-based belief in what we know as truth.

That's the real danger in your thought process.

You're looking for the religion and myth forum.

I am actually kicking open the door of Science to people who have adopted a belief in their faith. If you can't disprove spiritual nature with physics then you should shut your pie hole and stop pontificating your beliefs. It's not up to me to prove everything Science has not discovered yet. I can't possibly do that and I will never be able to do that. Neither will you... so we have to leave this question about "supernatural Gods" open with regard to Science. It's not disproved, it never can be... so stop assuming it is and get back to practicing SCIENCE!

You are one that looks for argument in all things. Knock yourself out. You also don't understand content in posts, you just look for ANYTHING that appears to your mind to be a red flag trigger for your anger center to start vomiting.

I'm talking to others in this thread that can actually just carry a conversation. Not you.

A computer can never be "self aware" which I believe is the definition of A.I. that people are looking for.

I don't know if that is actually true. There are scientists working on deep AI and they are doing some pretty amazing, and concerning things. This video is an example of that....and maybe a robot actually getting close to being self aware...

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

I said "never." I was a computer science major, and took classes in AI. It was then I realized that AI was a scam and that AI scientists were ripping off the government by promising something that could never be delivered.

I'm not sure if I can explain why AI is impossible, all I can say is that this. A computer, no matter how complex it's algorithms, even the computer Deep Blue that can beat the world's champion chess player, is not really "thinking" when it accomplishes its tasks. All it is doing is running code that was written by someone else. Even if they somehow invent computers that write their own code, the code writing would be governed by code written by someone else. A computer is not capable of doing anything it is not programmed to do, and it does exactly what it is programmed to do, without a lick of common sense to correct errors written into the code.

Deep Blue (chess computer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's all wrong. They are working on computers that learn the same way humans learn. You are correct in thinking that programmers can never write code that duplicates the functions of the human brain. A computer that learns, on the other hand, is duplicating what the brain does. It's programming itself.

Deep learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dude, read the posts on this board.

If they represent humanity in general, then the world is high-functioning retarded.

What self-respecting AI wants this low level of "intelligence?"
Well, I am sure the average posts in this forum do not represent the average intelligence of the adult population.

They may not represent 'average' intelligence; the grim possibility is that they represent intelligence superior to average.

It's very possible that they will quickly become billions of times smarter than the average person. Let's hope they are friendly.

I voted never. Now let me qualify that. In terms of the capacity of AI to out-perform the human mind in terms of processing information, I think it's already there. Look at all the technological things that were impossible before computers. Look at the things we are able to accomplish with the aid of computers today. Examining the results of large hadron colliders would be impossible without the amazing power of computers. BUT....

There is something that no computer AI will ever be able to achieve and that involves mankind's spiritual connection. (Cue the anti-God nuts) Humans have the capacity to connect with spiritual nature which is the catalyst for our inspiration and our inspiration drives our achievement. Computers are not spiritually-connected and they never can be.... unless spiritual nature acts to convey that into them somehow. And it's entirely in that regard that AI will never match humanity.

Your "spiritual connection" is entirely an illusion. I experience no such connection.

A computer can never be "self aware" which I believe is the definition of A.I. that people are looking for.

An abstract AI layer might be aware of the situation of the rest of the layers providing input. For practical purposes the computer will be self aware, just as some robots can straighten themselves when toppled. Those robots are aware of their own position .
That's not A.I. A.I. is passing the Turing test, convincing a human that the computer is a human. But even if a computer passes the Turing test, it is only imitating human intelligence, it is not actually intelligent like a human.

How would you know the difference?

Just the AI , not a fully functional robot + AI.
well considering they developed one that can beat the chess master, I'd say they did it already.
On a specialized level.

and considering what we 'know' and what we think is possible is never all that far apart (triangle shaped ufos were actually stealth jets) 2030 is more that far off enough.

the real question is; When does it kill us all?

:muahaha:

A computer can easily be programmed

Therein lies the rub.... A computer requires a human to program it. The HUMAN has the inspiration. The HUMAN decides what it wants the computer to do. The computer never decides that it needs to program itself to do this or that.... unless a HUMAN decides to program the computer to decide things. It's a dichotomy.

Again, not it doesn't. They are developing computers that learn, just like humans.

I said "never." I was a computer science major, and took classes in AI. It was then I realized that AI was a scam and that AI scientists were ripping off the government by promising something that could never be delivered.

I'm not sure if I can explain why AI is impossible, all I can say is that this. A computer, no matter how complex it's algorithms, even the computer Deep Blue that can beat the world's champion chess player, is not really "thinking" when it accomplishes its tasks. All it is doing is running code that was written by someone else. Even if they somehow invent computers that write their own code, the code writing would be governed by code written by someone else. A computer is not capable of doing anything it is not programmed to do, and it does exactly what it is programmed to do, without a lick of common sense to correct errors written into the code.

Deep Blue (chess computer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's all wrong. They are working on computers that learn the same way humans learn. You are correct in thinking that programmers can never write code that duplicates the functions of the human brain. A computer that learns, on the other hand, is duplicating what the brain does. It's programming itself.

Deep learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trial
and error
and trial again
and error again...

just like a "human" :)

but much faster
with a much bigger sample size...

Are you confusing AI with self awareness? I think my phone is smarter than any human. We reached that milestone years ago. It's scary the more you understand about self awareness, the more we don't know how to define it exactly. Do animals posses it? Do infants? At what point does begin? WHAT IS self awareness? We all know the answer to that. Do we?

A computer can simulate human intelligence, or even super-human intelligence. A computer cannot be intelligent, not in the way a human is intelligent.

A computer processes information. A computer cannot have an original thought, and no computer will ever have an original thought. Computers don't have thoughts at all. They are machines that take in inputs and spit out outputs.

But the realm of things they can learn expands every year.

yes and we've had decades of it and nothing big from it yet. Still cant understand spoken english so we type just like 100 years ago.

Actually, there is software that will write down whatever you tell it. If you watched the video you saw a robot that could understand spoken instructions.

A computer can simulate human intelligence, or even super-human intelligence. A computer cannot be intelligent, not in the way a human is intelligent.

A computer processes information. A computer cannot have an original thought, and no computer will ever have an original thought. Computers don't have thoughts at all. They are machines that take in inputs and spit out outputs.

Hmmm, sorry, but your claims are totally unsupported.

AI is not self-awareness. I watch my dog and cat and turtle, and I think the dog may be somewhat self-aware, the cat maybe almost self-aware, but not quite, and the turtle is not even close to self-aware, it is more like a machine that is programmed to do what it does.

Hmmm, sorry, but your claims are totally unsupported.
I am basing my claims on what I learned in college while earning a degree in computer science. I took a class in AI, and came to the conclusion that AI scientists were making promises they couldn't keep to get funding.

And what kind of an original thought human beings come up with?

And what kind of an original thought human beings come up with?
Archaeologists date the dawning of intelligence with the discovery of ceremonial burial. This indicates a belief in life after death, a belief in a spirit world beyond the physical world, a believe that we are eternal creatures. Animals do not believe in life after death, and when an animal dies (except for elephants), the other animals leave it where it is to be eaten.

Forum List

Back