When will an AI achieve the same intelligence as a human being?

When will an AI achieve the same intelligence as a human being?

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Never. It will not happen

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
I said "never." I was a computer science major, and took classes in AI. It was then I realized that AI was a scam and that AI scientists were ripping off the government by promising something that could never be delivered.

I'm not sure if I can explain why AI is impossible, all I can say is that this. A computer, no matter how complex it's algorithms, even the computer Deep Blue that can beat the world's champion chess player, is not really "thinking" when it accomplishes its tasks. All it is doing is running code that was written by someone else. Even if they somehow invent computers that write their own code, the code writing would be governed by code written by someone else. A computer is not capable of doing anything it is not programmed to do, and it does exactly what it is programmed to do, without a lick of common sense to correct errors written into the code.

Deep Blue (chess computer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the difference between being intelligent and replicating intelligence? There may be an ineffable nuance to 'human' 'intelligence', but computer intelligence may equal human capacity, especially (as inferred in a previous post) the capacity often displayed in the world.

What is the difference between being intelligent and replicating intelligence? There may be an ineffable nuance to 'human' 'intelligence', but computer intelligence may equal human capacity, especially (as inferred in a previous post) the capacity often displayed in the world.
I don't know if I can explain it to someone who isn't a computer scientist, but everything they show on TV and the movies about computers is misleading.

Computers don't "think" all they do is process code.

Computers don't "see" all they do is interpret data gathered by video devices and interpret it using code.

Computers don't "hear" all they do is interpret data gathered by audio devices and interpret it using code.

Computers don't "communicate" all they do is use code to translate concepts in a computer-based language to a language that humans can understand.

But even programming languages mean nothing to a computer. These must be broken down into bits which have either a "1" or "0" value, because binary is the only language a computer truly understands.

So to the computer, all the world looks like is a series of "1's" and "0's" running through its processor. It is not aware of anything higher than that, and no computer ever will be.

I said "never." I was a computer science major, and took classes in AI. It was then I realized that AI was a scam and that AI scientists were ripping off the government by promising something that could never be delivered.

I'm not sure if I can explain why AI is impossible, all I can say is that this. A computer, no matter how complex it's algorithms, even the computer Deep Blue that can beat the world's champion chess player, is not really "thinking" when it accomplishes its tasks. All it is doing is running code that was written by someone else. Even if they somehow invent computers that write their own code, the code writing would be governed by code written by someone else. A computer is not capable of doing anything it is not programmed to do, and it does exactly what it is programmed to do, without a lick of common sense to correct errors written into the code.

Deep Blue (chess computer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Man, I am too a computer scientist.
Did you ever take a course on machine learning and neural networks? Computers can learn something they were not programmed to do, that is just a fact.

Dude, read the posts on this board.

If they represent humanity in general, then the world is high-functioning retarded.

What self-respecting AI wants this low level of "intelligence?"
Well, I am sure the average posts in this forum do not represent the average intelligence of the adult population.

So to the computer, all the world looks like is a series of "1's" and "0's" running through its processor. It is not aware of anything higher than that, and no computer ever will be.

Put several layers of simple interpretations of 1 and 0 and you will get something very , very different and see rather complex patterns emerge.

Dude, read the posts on this board.

If they represent humanity in general, then the world is high-functioning retarded.

What self-respecting AI wants this low level of "intelligence?"
Well, I am sure the average posts in this forum do not represent the average intelligence of the adult population.

They may not represent 'average' intelligence; the grim possibility is that they represent intelligence superior to average.

I voted never. Now let me qualify that. In terms of the capacity of AI to out-perform the human mind in terms of processing information, I think it's already there. Look at all the technological things that were impossible before computers. Look at the things we are able to accomplish with the aid of computers today. Examining the results of large hadron colliders would be impossible without the amazing power of computers. BUT....

There is something that no computer AI will ever be able to achieve and that involves mankind's spiritual connection. (Cue the anti-God nuts) Humans have the capacity to connect with spiritual nature which is the catalyst for our inspiration and our inspiration drives our achievement. Computers are not spiritually-connected and they never can be.... unless spiritual nature acts to convey that into them somehow. And it's entirely in that regard that AI will never match humanity.

The potential for humans is one thing. The expression of humans we see in the world is quite another.
Consciousness is the only thing a being can be certain of in an ultimate sense, and it is all that matters in any transcendent sense. Intuition says machines can never have this, yet it may happen that, viewed from the outside, there will be little to show in the way of difference. Turing was on to this with his thinking.
A.I. may equal what we see as 'average' intelligent functioning. To what end is uncertain.

Consciousness is the only thing a being can be certain of in an ultimate sense, and it is all that matters in any transcendent sense. .

total gibberish. How can one be certain of consciousness?? What does it mean to be certain of consciousness?????

Come on, that isn't difficult at all. One has only one's perceptions for knowing all and anything. All perceptions are subjective, internal. There is no way to prove anything external exists. One may believe it; one cannot prove it. The only thing undeniable is that one is conscious. Thus, only consciousness can be proved to exist.
Anyone, of course, is entitled to imagine anything else one wishes.

One could not question whether one existed or even had perceptions unless one were conscious. Is this so difficult? A 10 year old should understand.

A computer can never be "self aware" which I believe is the definition of A.I. that people are looking for.

Forum List

Back