When the oil boys are in charge

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Ravi, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,756
  2. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    No, no, no. This is simply supply and demand more.

3. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    I feel sorry for the independent trucker.

4. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238

I hope this was sarcasm......

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,922
    Unless you can show the Oil Companies are making a bigger profit margin then last year or the year before, you can cry about them all you want.Without that they are simply charging what they have been all along in relation to what they pay for oil.

6. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I don't think it's the companies....but they certainly aren't doing without.

6 months ago, oil was roughly 90 dollars a barrel. Can you believe that demand has changed that much to raise it 40+ dollars a barrel? It took years to rise from 50 dollars a barrel to 90 dollars a barrel....we've achieved that in 6 months. This is why there is investigation into price manipulation by "someone." The oil supply is not low....they raise the price every time we have a little storm in the gulf, or everytime something happens overseas...but when they tap into a huge oil well, why doesn't the price go down?? Plants are operating at full capacity....there is no shortage. As far as demand...until I can find some actualy numbers, I can't believe that demand has changed that much in 6 months. Just my opinion. Someone's jackin with prices IMO.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,922
    It is speculation and a weak dollar. We have already had links to evidence the supply is in fact more than the demand.

8. maneal

maneal Conservative Commentator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Many plants /refineries are NOT running at full capacity. A lot of our VERY old oil refineries have large sections shut down to be repaired, redesigned, or rebuilt. Not only are the weak dollar, the speculation, and oversees crap causing this, but the environmentalist lobby and the far-left side of the Democratic Party is helping as well.

We do not have enough refineries to continue to grow our supply. The old ones are having trouble expanding. Not to mention the ridiculous EPA standards by region, which drive prices much higher. Lets also not forget the huge unnecessary gas-tax.

A HUGE victory for America occurred Tuesday. South Dakota voted (by a wide margin) to rezone a section of land and build a brand new oil refinery. The FIRST new station in over 30 years. What a shame that we had to wait this long, but better late than never. I believe that this is a shift in the political winds. The Democrats and the environmentalist wackos have fooled people about oil and global warming, however, I see a shift. People are realizing that humans are NOT powerful enough to do any major shifts to this earth. If you think so, then you are flattering yourself WAY to much. I also see that peoples pocketbooks are being effected by these prices, and its time to refine more from places like Canada. I also see us to eventually start drilling new places for oil, and producing our own until a VIABLE solution and alternative can be found.

HERE is the article on SD's new Oil refinery

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,756
    Just more evidence of the Bush administration's priorities, which are NOT the American people but rather corporate interests. Either that or he's so weak and lame that he's leaving the country in worse shape than when he took it.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    This is a purely speculative bubble.

Expect that when it breaks, a whole hell of a lot of industry insiders will quietly become even more obsenely rich than they are already.

In the meanwhile, of course, the neo-cons and their idiotic toadies will demand that we drill ANWR, as those that alone would change the market dynamics.