Want to start fixing our economy?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by nfiRONWORKER, Jun 7, 2008.

1. nfiRONWORKER

nfiRONWORKER Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been around for 56 yrs, and have watched the various way's people try to get these assho**s attention.
    Some say flood your congress person (political correctness) with emails, some say have a big demonstration
    on this date, while others try to get everyone to take a day off work on such and such a date.
    While all these ideas sound good, there's only one way to get them to listen, that's because the
    only thing they understand is money. Well, here's a way everyone can participate and not even have
    to organize anything.
    So, what is it? CLOSE YOUR WALLET!!!! you don't have to live like a hillbilly to do this,
    just ask yourselves when you go to purchase something, is this something I need or has the TV
    convinced me I have to have it, so I can use it for a few weeks and than store it in my rent-a-space
    with all the other junk I'm paying to store and will probably never use again! THINK for yourself,
    don't be swayed by the slime oozing out from your TV set, if everyone stopped spending $100 a month
    it would throw them into a panic. Fuc* all that junk, the more you put on your plastic, the longer you
    stay there slaves, and guess what, they don't give a sh*it about you, just how much money you spend,
    and of course there's not enough money in the world to make them happy, so chances are they already have
    plans to move to Mexico or some ware else so they can screw us out of a living and have to take a job
    making 1/2 of what you used to make, so, CLOSE YOUR WALLET.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    American ARE closing their wallets.

Mostly they have very little choice given that their home economies are being sucked dry by the rising cost of energy.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,376
    Yeah, because they finally reached debt capacity and now have no other choice.

Amassing more debt than you can handle certainly wasn't the best way to get to the point where you finally realized you needed to close your wallet.

4. indago

indago VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    nfiRONWORKER wrote:
    Also, DON'T VOTE FOR ANY DEMOLICANS

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Blaming the victims much there, Paulitics?

People without debt are ALSO having trouble spending money on needed things given the cost of energy is destroying their home economies.

The myth that most people are in trouble because of credit debt is just that...a cherished neo-con myth.

If you look at the cause of bankruptsies before the current run up in energy prices, you discover that the number one cause of personal bankruptsy was HEALTH CARE disasters.

Now honesly...who can prepare for the cost of major health problems who are not multimillionaires?

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,376
    Yeah, because that $500/mo car you just HAVE to own, that $300/mo payment on top notch furniture you couldn't live without, those hundreds of dollars in credit card payments, and that $2,500/mo house when you probably only needed a $1,000/mo house, isn't taking any money away from your budget that could have payed unforeseen medical expenses. :rolleyes:

Everyday you wake up, you could possibly incur a medical problem from ANYTHING. Living within your means allows you to save rather than exist merely to pay off debt. If your savings must be used for a medical problem, better that you had that money saved, than to have to file bankruptcy over it because you couldn't bare to live without your creature comforts.

Let me guess, you're a universal health care proponent...

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Oh, I see. You'll just make up straw-man arguments to make your point.

Fine, if you don't have a logical argument to support your position, you don't.

Whose plan?

Doesn't actually matter.

No plan on the table, liberal or conservative, will solve that problem.

The "single payer universal health insurance system" that the liberal establishment is pushing will inevitably lead to higher prices for medical care, and eventually to national bankruptsy if they initiate it.

The neo-conservative plan (market rules with tax breaks and medical saving plans) is useless as well, because people need to pay taxes and have savings, and about half the people in the USA don't.

I don't see any solution to the health care crises from either camp, really, Paul.

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,376
    Lol. Like that didn't define the American consumer to a T.

What's the average American's debt? Better yet, what's the average American's debt-to-income ratio?

I'm not sure there IS a solution, in the political sense. I'd say the real solution lies with the citizens. We demand professional healthcare for many things that we don't really need it for. Should we decide to cut down on our dependence on the doctor, the market might just react on it's own with lower prices. Much like the oil crisis.

But let's just keep pretending that one day, some magical politician is going to come along and "fix" it all for us.

What I can definitely tell you, and you seem to agree, is that socialized health care is not the answer.

9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,075
    And collapsing the economy benefits us how again?

People should live within their means and not take out any more debt than they can afford. But reducing spending by $100 a month sends a message to no one, other than ourselves that we can live with less.

BTW, the average household has $8000 of credit card debt.

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,376
    I'm talking about a lot more than a $100/mo reduction. Christ, for many people, that would just be quitting smoking.

If cutting our debt and expenses down by multiple hundreds of dollars per month so we could afford more important things like healthcare would collapse the economy, than we're already screwed, and that's pretty sad.

$8,000 of credit card debt, and just imagine how much useless, unnecessary crap that's for.

And why SHOULDN'T we send ourselves a message that we can live with less? God forbid someday we all HAD to.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008