Zone1 When SCOTUS Rules Against Favoritism Based on Race, the Impact will Go Beyond College Admissions

Joe. I have not studied the history of Latin America as much as I have studied other histories, but I know for a FACT that racial issues have not only been part of that history but still are. While U.S. history has some horrendous and indefensible parts to it, it is by no means unique. In many ways we have done better to produce a culture of opportunity for all than many other countries.

Joe tends to say things that, shall we say, are not quite as truthful as he likes to assert. In short, he says things that sound good emotionally, but that have very little of substance backing them.

Joe tends to say things that, shall we say, are not quite as truthful as he likes to assert. In short, he says things that sound good emotionally, but that have very little of substance backing them.
Well Joe posted two civil and reasonable posts. Right or wrong I appreciate that. :)

You're not going to get an argument about racial segregation laws. I don't know anyone today that thinks they were a great idea, except maybe democrats before 1970.

You mean all the inbred southerners who became Republicans like Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond?

And yes, black people DO have that option. Is your daughter more likely to assimilate into a majority European culture if she is named Shaniqua or Suzanne? Is Dad more likely to assimilate in an office if he wears African tribal gear or a suit? Is a family more likely to assimilate if they openly celebrate Kwanzaa or Christmas? Assimilating is merely de-emphasizing your differences and emphasizing your similarities.

Frankly, white people are just as likely to give THEIR kids goofy names. But oddly, that never seems to hold them back. As for the rest... I've never seen anyone wear African Tribal gear to work.... yet most of my coworkers don't wear suits, either. Imagine that. (And, yes, I work in an office).

I would also dispute your contention that racism in Latin America is not as problematic as what we've experienced. Apparently, they discriminate just as much as everyone else does.

Not really. For instance, in Brazil, when they abolished slavery, what they didn't follow it up with was another 100 years of Jim Crow like we did. And this was mostly because slavery was based on class more than race.

Joe. I have not studied the history of Latin America as much as I have studied other histories, but I know for a FACT that racial issues have not only been part of that history but still are. While U.S. history has some horrendous and indefensible parts to it, it is by no means unique. In many ways we have done better to produce a culture of opportunity for all than many other countries.

Yeah, uh, when you leave out the bad parts of your history, then it's not history, it's propaganda.

Um, yeah, dude, the problem is you exhausted your citation card with me a long time ago, that's the thing.
I am happy to give citation when people are willing to learn, but when they try to rewrite history, it's not worth the trouble.

..., in Brazil, when they abolished slavery, what they didn't follow it up with was another 100 years of Jim Crow like we did. And this was mostly because slavery was based on class more than race.
Completely ignorant.

You mean all the inbred southerners who became Republicans like Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond?
Where's this massive list of southern democrats that became Republicans? Not so many, apparently.
Frankly, white people are just as likely to give THEIR kids goofy names. But oddly, that never seems to hold them back. As for the rest... I've never seen anyone wear African Tribal gear to work.... yet most of my coworkers don't wear suits, either. Imagine that. (And, yes, I work in an office).
I don't see suits anywhere I work, since it's in my office at home, but if I wanted to, I could wear tribal gear. As for white people, do you think Moon Unit assimilated as a child as well as Frank did in school or do you think he stood out because of his name? The point, as always, is if you want to assimilate, that's what you do.
Not really. For instance, in Brazil, when they abolished slavery, what they didn't follow it up with was another 100 years of Jim Crow like we did. And this was mostly because slavery was based on class more than race.
And they discriminate as much as we did, which is the point.

Um, yeah, dude, the problem is you exhausted your citation card with me a long time ago, that's the thing.
I am happy to give citation when people are willing to learn, but when they try to rewrite history, it's not worth the trouble.
Oh, I'm well aware that you can't back up what you say, that's why I call you on it.

Where's this massive list of southern democrats that became Republicans? Not so many, apparently.

Are you really using that argument? The politicians didn't switch, the voters did... but they still supported the same kinds of racism.

I don't see suits anywhere I work, since it's in my office at home, but if I wanted to, I could wear tribal gear. As for white people, do you think Moon Unit assimilated as a child as well as Frank did in school or do you think he stood out because of his name? The point, as always, is if you want to assimilate, that's what you do.

I think Moon Unit was a girl... But I'm talking about all the white people who give their kids unique sounding names because they want their kid to be the only one in the class with that name... but again- not considered "goofy" because of white privilege.

I guess if a black person names their kid John instead of Jamal, they get to wait until the interview to experience the racism instead of the resume... So I guess there's that.

And they discriminate as much as we did, which is the point.

Well, no, they really didn't.

Oh, I'm well aware that you can't back up what you say, that's why I call you on it.

No, you just ask for citations, and then ignore them when I provide them... which is why I just stopped providing them.

Forum List

Back