When I started first grade, a cigar box was on my school supply list

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
For pencils, crayons, ruler, scissors, and so forth. It worked great, and I never considered the moral implications of asking children to carry packing for a tobacco product.

I hate to imagine the wailing if that were a requirement today.

We also were required to bring a Big Chief tablet. Not just any tablet, but specifically a Big Chief.

Somehow . . . some way . . . I survived all that political incorrectness.

Just sayin' . . .

Last edited:
For pencils, crayons, ruler, scissors, and so forth. It worked great, and I never considered the moral implications of asking children to carry packing for a tobacco product.

We also were required to bring a Big Chief tablet. Not just any tablet, but specifically a Big Chief.

Just sayin' . . .
I must have gone to the same school--just explained what a Big Chief tablet was to my millennial son-in-law. LOL

1650941517254.jpeg

Couldn’t cut and paste without it

Tampa Nugget cigar box here :) It lasted thru elementary school. Had some negative comments from students and adults but it worked and I liked it. Today students have a lot of advantages but what we had worked just as well.

Just sayin' . . .
Wow! I had forgot about the cigar boxes used as a carry all. It would have been either 1960 or 1961(my 3rd/4th grade, that I first used a cigar box to carry my school supplies in. That cigar box carried all my school supplies except my 12" ruler. I used a folder called a Pee-Chee(not sure of the spelling) to carry my paper supplies in & also my 12" ruler. Life was not so complicated back then for sure.

When I started first grade, a cigar box was on my school supply list​

Today, you need to spend $30 at Walmart for some plastic, chinese-made POC that only lasts half a season.
When I was in 1st grade, we smoked candy cigarettes and took rubber play-knives to school!

Just sayin' . . .
I live in Florida. I knew a retired cop who carried loaded .45 Automatic in a cigar box on the seat beside him.

The laws in Florida allow you to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle as long as it is “securely encased.”

***snip***

The law defines this "as in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access." (Fla. Stat. 790.001(17)).

Just sayin' . . .
The difference is that most families had cigar boxes lying around and they were of convenient size. Carrying a cigar box doesn't mean the child had to smoke all the cigars in there to get it. Nowadays, not so many people smoke cigars anymore (for good reason).

The difference is that most families had cigar boxes lying around and they were of convenient size. Carrying a cigar box doesn't mean the child had to smoke all the cigars in there to get it. Nowadays, not so many people smoke cigars anymore (for good reason).
Unkotare, I only wish someone had told my dad the part about the child not having to smoke all the cigars, so he could use the box. Literally, the worst summer of my life.

I remember Mom buying us the cigar box size box with school supplies already prepackaged at Kmart. It came with crayons, ruler, protractor, eraser. pencils, etc.
Then we had to have the 3 ring binder with five dividers. The school supplied the paper and more #2 pencils. Us kids would pick out our favorite cartoon characters printed on the boxes. That was our elementary school in the early mid seventies.

I remember Mom buying us the cigar box size box with school supplies already prepackaged at Kmart. It came with crayons, ruler, protractor, eraser. pencils, etc.
Then we had to have the 3 ring binder with five dividers. The school supplied the paper and more #2 pencils. Us kids would pick out our favorite cartoon characters printed on the boxes. That was our elementary school in the early mid seventies.
I remember that well, and don't forget the metal lunchboxes with the glass lined thermos included! I think mine was Scooby Doo at first, and then I ungraded to Spiderman after I broke the thermos in the other one.

My old elementary school (that I attended in the 70's) is still standing and in operation today. It was built in the late 50's, had no A/C and was heated off of a boiler system when I was there.

Lol

Last edited:
They are plastic pencil boxes now, but same concept. Some of the school supply lists have gotten insane. I recall even before COVID each parent supposedly needed to buy a gallon of hand sanitizer and a gallon of elmer's glue for the classroom. It felt like they were expecting the parents who actually bought everything to buy for 5 more parents who wouldn't buy anything.

We had a neighborhood drugstore about a block from our house so an empty cigar box was easy to come by. Loved them.

I still have one of those old cigar boxes packed away with writing and stationary supplies. Loved those giant old Big Chief tablets, too.

Forum List

Back