When does human life begin?

If we are talking about a fertilized egg the answers are:
  1. yes
  2. no
  3. no
So if not a homo sapien (aka human), then what species is he or she?

You do realize that DNA is used to identify specific persons, right? It's literally what makes you different than anyone who has ever lived or will ever live?

Life goes back to our common ancestor and everything in between that ancestor and us has bee alive. Science can tell us the facts but not the implecations.
Do honest answers make you uncomfortable?

You do understand what we are discussing, right?

Do I really need to be more specific? Cause I can.

So life comes from non-living things? Research spontaneous generation.
I can promise you that when these questions come before the court they will have little patience for games like this.

Mothers and fathers are living beings. Sperm and eggs are not. But you know this already.

Last edited:
But it is different. It is a human organism at its first stage of the human life cycle. The trillions of cells of the mother are not trillions of individual organisms.
I'm only talking about the first stage. Whatever it may become is irrelevant. It only matters what it is.

Would you change your position when (assuming we can't do it yet) we can take any cell from anyone and induce it to enter that first stage of the human life cycle? Does that cell then receive legal protections? If that cell is implanted in a womb, does that cell then receive legal protections? If not, when would it? At birth? Never?

I can promise you that when these questions come before the court they will have little patience for games like this.

Mothers and fathers are living beings. Sperm and eggs are not. But you know this already.
Really? The SCOTUS has already set limits on protections for these living beings. I'm not sure science is going to provide answers.

So if not a homo sapien (aka human), then what species is he or she?

You do realize that DNA is used to identify specific persons, right? It's literally what makes you different than anyone who has ever lived or will ever live?
What species is my arm? Human tissue is not a human being and, as far as I'm concerned an egg is just tissue.

I'm only talking about the first stage. Whatever it may become is irrelevant. It only matters what it is.

Would you change your position when (assuming we can't do it yet) we can take any cell from anyone and induce it to enter that first stage of the human life cycle? Does that cell then receive legal protections? If that cell is implanted in a womb, does that cell then receive legal protections? If not, when would it? At birth? Never?
"An individual human life begins at conception when a sperm cell from the father fuses with an egg cell from the mother, to form a new cell, the zygote, the first embryonic stage. The zygote grows and divides into two daughter cells, each of which grows and divides into two grand-daughter cells, and this cell growth/division process continues on, over and over again. The zygote is the start of a biological continuum that automatically grows and develops, passing gradually and sequentially through the stages we call foetus, baby, child, adult, old person and ending eventually in death. The full genetic instructions to guide the development of the continuum, in interaction with its environment, are present in the zygote. Every stage along the continuum is biologically human and each point along the continuum has the full human properties appropriate to that point."
Dr. William Reville, University College Cork, Ireland

Really? The SCOTUS has already set limits on protections for these living beings. I'm not sure science is going to provide answers.
Roe v Wade will be overturned and left for each state to decide. SCOTUS will over turn Roe v Wade on the basis of science. The very science you are unwilling to acknowledge.

What species is my arm? Human tissue is not a human being and, as far as I'm concerned an egg is just tissue.
I'm more than happy for you to argue against the science, bro.

"After fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being...[this] is no longer a matter of taste or opinion, it is not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence...."
Dr Jerome LeJeune, Professor of Genetics at the University of Descartes, Paris, discoverer of the chromosome pattern of Down's Syndrome, and Nobel Prize Winner

If you consider a unique combination of DNA molecules to be a human life then conception. If you, like me, consider a human life begins when a fetus show features unique to humanity, then it would be much later.
Assuming the zygote or fetus isn’t killed by accident, like the death of the mother, and doesn’t have genetic issues that will lead to being stillborn, then one need only consider that as it develops (if it isn’t aborted), the only features it can ever possibly show are features unique to humanity. It won’t be a fish or a bird. It won’t be a giraffe. It will be a baby human being. Therefore, you seemingly end up holding the belief that its human life begins at its conception.

Last edited:
If no one that you know ever attended a funeral for a 20 year old, that means 20 year olds don't exist? democrat logic.
You misunderstood me. So i suppose we will call ignorant, rabid responses and shallow inability to understand "unkotare logic".

Or, you can breathe into a paper bag for a moment and ask me what I meant, instead of settling on the first dumb thing that pops into your mind.

You misunderstood me. So i suppose we will call ignorant, rabid responses and shallow inability to understand "unkotare logic".

Or, you can breathe into a paper bag for a moment and ask me what I meant, instead of settling on the first dumb thing that pops into your mind.
Farty ^ posts the selected dumb things that waft into his head.

No, do my honest answers make you uncomfortable?

No I don't. Are we speaking strictly science or is that just the camel's nose of abortion rights.

Feel free.
We are discussing when a specific human life begins, not the first human. But you already knew that.

That you can't be honest about that tells me you know you have no argument. And we aren't discussing abortion rights. We are discussing human rights. Specifically if we are going to grant human rights to humans when they come into existence or if we are going to treat them as property to be disposed of at the will of it's owner until some arbitrary and capricious time after they have come into existence.

The science is very clear on when a genetically distinct new human being comes into existence. But I don't expect you to acknowledge that given the games you are playing.

"An individual human life begins at conception when a sperm cell from the father fuses with an egg cell from the mother, to form a new cell, the zygote, the first embryonic stage. The zygote grows and divides into two daughter cells, each of which grows and divides into two grand-daughter cells, and this cell growth/division process continues on, over and over again. The zygote is the start of a biological continuum that automatically grows and develops, passing gradually and sequentially through the stages we call foetus, baby, child, adult, old person and ending eventually in death. The full genetic instructions to guide the development of the continuum, in interaction with its environment, are present in the zygote. Every stage along the continuum is biologically human and each point along the continuum has the full human properties appropriate to that point."
Dr. William Reville, University College Cork, Ireland
OK, so what?

I can promise all of you that when Roe v Wade comes before the Supreme Court - and it will - the advocates for abortion will acknowledge the science and will make a person-hood legal argument, a hardship argument and Federal rights versus states rights argument. But they won't dare play silly games arguing that life begins at conception.

Forum List

Back