When Did Volunteering Become Such a Pain?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by IndependntLogic, May 14, 2012.

1. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    The veterans group I was working with moved to another state. So I have offered to volunteer with several organizations for over a month now. I won't say which they are because I'm sure they have enough challenges. In one case, I am told they would love to have me help, sent me an application to fill and return etc... I did as instructed. Never heard back. Called to follow up. Was told they would get right back to me. Never heard from them. Repeat again and again. WTH? Another one was thrilled. I need to pay about $150 out of pocket to get what they need for me to volunteer with them. That blows. Oh well. The last one was also very excited. E-mails back and forth. They love that I can help people with resumes, interviewing etc... (I own an employment agency so this is my area of expertise). They'll get right back to me. It's been weeks. I've always been a volunteer. Teen crisis centers, Children's Hospital, Homeless shelters, whatever. I've never seen anything like this. I think I'll just start a new charity. It would probably be quicker :p

2. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    [​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Those government regulations you love ain't so much fun after all, are they?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,660
    Tell us what they are. Apparently they don't actually have enough challenges.

5. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Well one is Meals on Wheels. We have a lot of old, poor people out there nowadays. Seems like a worthwhile cause.

6. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Friggin' sucks, dude.

I was part of a search for a missing autistic camper a couple summers ago.....Local people brought in all kinds of really good home made food for the volunteers to eat during the breaks between searches.

Some do-gooder wanker snitched to the local health department.

After that, it was strictly burgers, sausages and beans off a grill, and pre-packaged crap like Twinkies.

Seems that douchebaggery never sleeps.

7. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I did S&R in Houston after Hurricane Ike. Almost got killed when a tree came off a roof. Scared the LIVIN SHIT outta me! I'll never forget that. I'll also never forget that all anyone had to do to help, was show up. And people came out of their houses with food drinks and (gasp!) beer all the time. We weren't allowed to drink beer - which was reasonable.
    On the other side? FEMA, couple years earlier. I had a couple extra bedrooms and offered to take in a family from New Orleans. They didn't show up on the day they were scheduled. I had to call FEMA friggin 20 times to get through. First they couldn't find me and then when they did, they figured something out: They lost the family. Seriously. They lost them. WTF??? Three people just gone. One of the people at my church volunteered a room to two people. FEMA delivered eight. Wrong family. It was like that all over the danm place.
    So okay, I'll pay for the physical, the records, the CPR/AED card, the TB test and the background check to volunteer at my daughter's school. it's rated among the best in the country by Newsweek (yay!) but they just had their budgets cut... again. Our priorities in this country are so screwed up, sometimes.

Oh, and ya gotta love the "ignore" feature here. Anyone stupid enough to assume I love all regulations is way to much of an ignorant whackjob to ever bother reading. The little puppy follows me around like a cocker spaniel - not to argue issues but to just post about me. Ahhhh obssession. :cuckoo:

8. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Funny, I don't recall saying you love all regulations, I just pointed out that the ones you do love tend to impact people in unexpected ways.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    What does Independent's story of volunteerism have to do with government regulations?

Nothing whatever.

Jesus! kids, get a grip.

10. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Sure it doesn't, because the government would never actually regulate that anyone who wants to volunteer at a school needs a background check, a TB test, training in CPR/AED. or a physical, he is lying about that to prove that a guy he has on ignore for pointing things like that out is right.