What's Your Homepage?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
I've been using Yahoo forever as my homepage. I can have whatever content I want, have a choice of themes to choose from for the background, and can tweak out the colors on the pages/headers/text/fonts/links. Apparently they have a new and improved Yahoo (pretty sure for me it is going to change w/in the next couple of weeks). While they've added new features, from the reviews I've read they've taken away a lot of choice, especially how you can tweak it out ala colors. The header color is apparently a bright cobalt blue and you can't change it. What?? Grrrrr.

Anyone using the new Yahoo homepage? Thoughts? If you use something else, what do you use? I've found several other homepages that are similar to Yahoo in how you can set them up. They've also forced an update on Yahoo mail ... unfortunately it keeps giving me a popup to update my browser and what once was a click to my mail is now three clicks to get rid of crap that keeps popping up ... because I didn't update my browser. (There's an add-on that I really like that is no longer supported after the version of FF that I run).

Blarg.

Yahoo here. It's ok by me. Good variety of stuff.

You can filter news stories by clicking the "More Like This" and "Fewer Like This" buttons.

I used Reuters for a while, but it's a little dry.

My personal email is with Yahoo, and has been for years - so I use My Yahoo as my homepage.

I refuse to use GOOG due to their horrible privacy policies...and don't use Yahoo for search, just for email. For search it's DuckDuckGo.

I don't like the new My Yahoo look, so am sticking with my old style page.

I've been hunting around for something similar to Yahoo because from what I've seen and read, they've taken away some pretty basic choices with their new homepage. My daughter accidentally updated her Yahoo homepage. Know what they took away? The ability to tweak the page aesthetically the way you like it. I mean .... really? That's what they decided to remove? I quite enjoy playing around with how a page looks and now that's gone. You can change the theme background but no more tweaking out the text/headers/links/colors, etc. When she clicked on a link to read the story (the headlines are now a bright cobalt blue) then went back to the homepage, there was no indication that she'd read the story. No link through the link, no link being 'lighter', etc. ???

Anyway, I found Prototype, which is quite similar to Y!. No, you can't tweak the colors on the texts/headers, etc. there either, but at least you can choose between black or white. You can change the background as well. It will do.

Protopage RSS Reader and Start Page

Last edited:
I've been hunting around for something similar to Yahoo because from what I've seen and read, they've taken away some pretty basic choices with their new homepage. My daughter accidentally updated her Yahoo homepage. Know what they took away? The ability to tweak the page aesthetically the way you like it. I mean .... really? That's what they decided to remove? I quite enjoy playing around with how a page looks and now that's gone. You can change the theme background but no more tweaking out the text/headers/links/colors, etc. When she clicked on a link to read the story (the headlines are now a bright cobalt blue) then went back to the homepage, there was no indication that she'd read the story. No link through the link, no link being 'lighter', etc. ???

Anyway, I found Prototype, which is quite similar to Y!. No, you can't tweak the colors on the texts/headers, etc. there either, but at least you can choose between black or white. You can change the background as well. It will do.

Protopage RSS Reader and Start Page

Marissa Mayer is a well-known control freak. Good engineers quit GOOG due to her micro-managing colors and the width of lines.

User control is going to get very minimal under her regime.

Google chrome homepage, which displays a google search window and 8 large icon short cuts of the most frequently viewed pages.

Recently DuckDuckGo....trying to move away from Googles prying eyes.

I have ddg as an alternate search engine but keep forgetting to use it. Derp. I use swagbucks a lot (it sucks as a search engine but I earn swagbucks that I can redeem for $$, usually Amazon gift cards). I'll use swagbucks to search ddg or google or whatever, then do a real search from there.

I also use the add-ons Better Privacy, Do Not Track Me, Facebook Disconnect. Email ... well, they can snag it anytime they want so it doesn't matter much what you use, as far as privacy goes. I'll probably be switching to gmail, I don't like some of the changes Y! made.

Last edited:
My personal email is with Yahoo, and has been for years - so I use My Yahoo as my homepage.

I refuse to use GOOG due to their horrible privacy policies...and don't use Yahoo for search, just for email. For search it's DuckDuckGo.

I don't like the new My Yahoo look, so am sticking with my old style page.

Old style Yahoo! page? They won't let you. Supposedly they are switching everyone over and there is no going back. That's what I've read anyway. I think the change-over has been rolling out over this past year. On my Y! homepage there is a message in the upper right corner (under the mail logo) that says "The new My Yahoo! is coming - learn more".

The new Y! email made changes as well. Now new emails are no longer bolded, there is just a purple dot next to it if it's new. Yeah, like a bill will ever get paid again. I'll never see that purple dot, I need the bold!

I never bother with "My Yahoo" and stick with the standard Yahoo page.

Look in the address bar. If it says my.yahoo then you are on the fancy shmancy page.

Just checked out that page ... can't tweak it. :(

Is endless scroll the latest thing going? I see that a lot.

I never bother with "My Yahoo" and stick with the standard Yahoo page.

Look in the address bar. If it says my.yahoo then you are on the fancy shmancy page.

Just checked out that page ... can't tweak it. :(

Is endless scroll the latest thing going? I see that a lot.

Yeah it's not exactly customizable.

Never noticed the "endless scroll" thing. I usually get bored after perusing a couple pages LOL. Seems Facebookesque to me.

Forum List

Back