What's wrong with intelligent design?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Semper Fi, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    At my school, there is a club called the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA). Their main pillar is tolerence, urging people to tolerate gays and lesbians with their silent days and rainbows. However, they are outspoken against intelligent design. How then, are the they tolerating? According to them, it is, therefore anything gay I'm automatically labeling as 'wrong'.

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    The homosexual community - and many other Leftist organizations, for that matter - define tolerance as "agreeing with us." If you speak out against their mantra, then you are the lowest scum on earth.

3. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You've missed the entire point of the ID issue...no one is saying you can't believe it...it just shouldn't be taught as a science because it is not-- it is a system with tremendous theological implications.

There is a difference between tolerating and accepting. The GSA at your school has the right to disagree (just as people have the right to disagree with homosexuality), but the main point is to be understanding and tolerate all views. If they are not understanding of your views on ID, then they are hypocrites. At the same time, though, that doesn't mean that they have to embrace them.

4. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I'm not addressing ID, I'm slaiming that the GSA is bunch of hypocrites. You are right, they have the right to disagree. I think you are wrong as far as the GSA ideals go. They don't want me to tolerate them being a bunch of gays, they want us to work it into our culture. I say that if I should do that for them, they should have to accept my views, or at least a sample of them, into their culture.

5. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    What would you like them to do in order to accept it? I don't really see the correlation between gayness and ID.

6. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I believe Semper Fi wants the GSA to be open minded to at least the idea of ID if he is to be asked to be open minded about the gay lifestyle.

7. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Not speak out against it. If they expect me to not speak out against gayness, then it's pretty acceptable that I expect them not to speak out against things that influence my lifestyle.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Ironic...There exists more biological evidence to support ID than exists to support they are victims of genetics...that they are somehow 'born gay', yet they speak out against ID?

Yeah - Dude, brother...Get used to it. In the coming years More and more lies will be worshipped as 'truth'. :(

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    That bold portion, I believe, is the thrust of his complaint, and the thrust of the Right's complaint about "tolerance" in general. Too many on the Left will not even allow a dissenting view to be heard, much less discussed, understood, or tolerated.

10. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ok, I'll agree with you there. If they are speaking out against putting it in a science class, then they are correct. But if they are simply saying that ID is wrong and that people shouldn't believe it, then they are wrong and should shut up.

But I'm just emphasizing-- by no means should ID be required in public science classes....at the same time, the gays in your school should at least respect your views as you hopefully do theirs.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1