What's So Bad About Sharia Law?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Listening to Christians on the news trying to get Christian interpretations of religious laws into civil law (homosexuality, abortion, women's rights, etc.) I can't help but wonder why if they want that they'd oppose Sharia. Isn't Sharia religious law based on Islam, and isn't Islam almost entirely based on Judaism just like Christianity? You'd think if Christians want religious law in civil law they'd welcome Sharia law. If it's really about pleasing God, and not just seizing power for themselves, you'd think Christians would welcome anything that gets God's law into civil law. And Sharia stands a much better chance of doing that than Christianity.

Listening to Christians on the news trying to get Christian interpretations of religious laws into civil law (homosexuality, abortion, women's rights, etc.) I can't help but wonder why if they want that they'd oppose Sharia. Isn't Sharia religious law based on Islam, and isn't Islam almost entirely based on Judaism just like Christianity? You'd think if Christians want religious law in civil law they'd welcome Sharia law. If it's really about pleasing God, and not just seizing power for themselves, you'd think Christians would welcome anything that gets God's law into civil law. And Sharia stands a much better chance of doing that than Christianity.

Its the punishment they oppose, not the same as having had Jesus die for your sins !
(The Christianity I practice is not based on Judaism)

I have no problem with Sharia law so long as it is voluntary, at least in this country. If enough people want to pass a law based upon Sharia, that is ok as well. So long as it falls within the Constitution.

I have no problem with Sharia law so long as it is voluntary, at least in this country. If enough people want to pass a law based upon Sharia, that is ok as well. So long as it falls within the Constitution.

Laws aren't voluntary I think is the point. :) Many religious laws are already in civil law, they're just not credited as having come from religious laws. Like murder and theft.

Laws aren't voluntary I think is the point. :) Many religious laws are already in civil law, they're just not credited as having come from religious laws. Like murder and theft.

"Law" is a flexible word. There is Sharia Law, which is religious in nature and, in this country, applies only to those who wish to follow it. I am under no obligation to do so. That may mean I am not allowed to join a religious organization which obligates me to follow it, but I don't have to join. It is voluntary. If enough people can get some of that into the civil code, that is allowable within our system of government. So long as it does not violate the state or US Constitutions. People who believe in Sharia Law has as much right to a voice in our government as anyone else.

There is more than one Sharia law, really.

Less than 25% of Islamic countries base their legal system on Sharia, and there are good reasons for that - it's unworkable and obsolete.

Where it is used as a voluntary means of settlement in divorce and inheritance cases, I have no problem with it anywhere, and don't understand the fuss, really. In many countries Jews have their own divorce laws, and I don't see too many complaints about that.

But should anyone really wish to abandon western legal systems in replace it with Sharia a la Saudi Arabia - well then I think we'd have some problems.

Please stop with the pretense that Islam and Christianity are practically the same. I guess they would be exactly the same if the Koran taught Muslims, as the NT teaches Christians, that politics and faith are separate things. Or if the Koran taught muslims to turn the other cheek. Or if the Koran taught muslims to love their enemies.

But it doesn't, now, does it?

Please stop with the pretense that Islam and Christianity are practically the same. I guess they would be exactly the same if the Koran taught Muslims, as the NT teaches Christians, that politics and faith are separate things. Or if the Koran taught muslims to turn the other cheek. Or if the Koran taught muslims to love their enemies.

How do you feel about 'an eye for an eye'?

How do you feel about 'an eye for an eye'?

Old Testament, a directive given to a particular group of people at a particular time and circumstance.
Jesus addressed it, and told CHRISTIANS to turn the other cheek.

I am for Sharia Law in America, if only to see Michelle, Hillary, and Nancy P. wearing burkas!!!:lol:

The fact that Christians don't want the laws changed to legalize/normalize depraved/heretofore criminal behavior, to mainstream it and make it more palatable to the masses is NOT the same thing as a desire for sharia-type-law, or a call for theocracy. Christians will ALWAYS speak out against bad law that criminalizes their Christian lifestyle..and that is not the same thing as a desire for theocracy, or a call to sharia.

They are the same. They are both religion and in this Country you have the right to any religion you please. Don't you just love freedom?

They are the same in that they are both religions.

But they are NOT the same in their ideology, or application..

You one of those guys that wants to screw 8 year olds, like Mohammed?

Many laws come from what is called "natural law".

Everybody knows that.

What would you expect from a Jew?

Many laws come from what is called "natural law".

Everybody knows that.

If that were true homosexuality wouldn't be a thing since pleanty of other animals exhibit it thereby defining it as completely natural.

So what? Neither are Jehovah's Witnesses and Unitarians. You can believe anything you like, worship any God you like, follow any laws you like. So long as it falls under the Constitution, you are good to go. People who follow Sharia Law have as much right to expressing their beliefs and attempting to influence civil law as anyone else.

Murder is natural. Disease is natural. Incest is natural.
It doesn't make it right. Nor does the fact that it's natural mean that we should embrace it as *good*.

So what? Neither are Jehovah's Witnesses and Unitarians. You can believe anything you like, worship any God you like, follow any laws you like. So long as it falls under the Constitution, you are good to go. People who follow Sharia Law have as much right to expressing their beliefs and attempting to influence civil law as anyone else.

Sharia law in and of itself is a violation of the constitution.

I don't care if they express their beliefs, incidentally. My objection was to lumping Christianity in with Sharia Law as if they're the same thing. They aren't.

Forum List

Back