Whats a Revival?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by chloe, Nov 24, 2008.

1. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If revivals have such a positive effect for the Kingdom of God, then why don’t we make revivals a matter of prayer? Revivals bring glory to God. Do we not care about that? Do we care that people are dishonoring God by not obeying Him….by not repenting? Do we care that His law is neglected? Do we care that the Church is no different than the world in far too many cases? Do we care that people are going to hell...an eternity in the lake of fire? I don’t think we do. If we did, we would be on our faces day and night until God poured out His Spirit.

Do we care that the power of the early Church is missing from our local churches today?

"God! Send us revival! Glorify Your name throughout the earth."

What is Revival

Has anybody ever been to one of these things? Do they sing live Gospel music?

2. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Down on the corner, out in the street,
    Willy and the poorboys are playin;
    Bring a nickel; tap your feet.

3. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,465
    Yes, revivals DO bring glory to God. Only trouble is, most of the traveling revival shows are nothing more than snake oil salesmen who are working on lining their own pockets rather than being glory to God.

Why? Simple......they think that they can twist things just a little bit to solidify their own viewpoint. Kinda like what most people have done for the past 2000 years, all the way from the Catholic church all the way up to and including people like Warren Jeffs and Ted Haggard. Matter of fact, you can see quite a bit of that on this very board.

Oh yeah......nobody stays in hell forever. Says so in both the Gospel of Thomas (or John, I forget which), as well as says so in the Torah.

Fire and brimstone was developed by the early church as a way to control the masses in Europe, and, now it is used to scare people into staying with the church.

Kinda sad when God is love, yet people use fear to get you to follow Him.

4. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there has ever been on in utah, otherwise I would have gone to see what its all about:eusa_angel:

Plus I really like LOUD Gospel music.

5. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Never been to a revival but kind of wish I'd been to the Mississippi Squirrel Revival

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFjLB4VYSU&feature=related]YouTube - Mississippi Squrrel Revival - Ray Stevens[/ame]

6. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    pretty funny sheila

7. foggedinn

foggedinn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I was there. It took place at a barroom parking lot on hywy 90 of all places. It happened on a saturday night in the fall of 1983. The name of the bar has since been changed to Magic Moments. It's located just east of the 14th St. overpass in Pascagoula Mississippi.

The squirrel spoke the wrath of God. Sorry to tell you this folks, but, America has been judged.

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    i really try to avoid christian topics...but alas revivals hold a special interest for me...they are still in the area where i am...many do approach them as biker does...as scams...street preachers looking for money...i also study the serpent handlers in this area as well...not that the two are mixed here...revivals are normally spoused by a local church...a guest minister and local minister team up to put on the revival. these are normally held at a the church of the local minister...tent revivals...are more traveling ministers and money shows...come into a community get money and leave with it...

purpose of a revival...to spice things up a bit...the visiting minister brings a different taste to the puplit....they normally last 5 nights..climaxing on friday night...normally comes at a time the church is having a membership drive...or rather revivals are to seek out and convert new members...the church has a long year...it gives a freshness to the church...energy in a way...

9. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Then go to a black Full Gospel type of church. There is lots of singing, dancing, and loud energetic music!! :eusa_angel:

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Ever see the movie MARJOE?

You ought to check it out, Chloe.

Might wake you up from that hynotized state you're in.