What Would You Do For A Klondike Bar? Shoot Your Dad?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Cops: Teen Killed Dad for Eating Last Sno-Ball
Monday, June 13, 2005

McCOMB, Miss. — Authorities say a disagreement over a frozen snack led a McComb teenager to fatally shoot his father and threaten his mother. Curtis McCray Jr., 16, was arrested and charged with murder last week after allegedly shooting Curtis McCray Sr. with a shotgun from about 20 feet away, the Pike County Sheriff's Department said.

Investigator David Haywood said the shooting occurred after the teen was punished for being involved in a minor wreck, and the boy became enraged when his parents returned home eating Sno-Balls and there wasn't one for him.

The teen then allegedly threatened his mother, Gloria, with the gun before speeding away in the family's car and leading authorities on a one-hour high-speed chase through three counties, Haygood said.

McCray was chased on Interstate 55 at speeds up to 115 mph and police set up stop sticks to deflate his tires. He was taken into custody in Marion County.

The teenager is being charged as an adult and is also charged with felony pursuit, Haygood said.

He is being held at Pike County Jail.

-----

Idiot.

GotZoom said:
Cops: Teen Killed Dad for Eating Last Sno-Ball
Monday, June 13, 2005

McCOMB, Miss. — Authorities say a disagreement over a frozen snack led a McComb teenager to fatally shoot his father and threaten his mother. Curtis McCray Jr., 16, was arrested and charged with murder last week after allegedly shooting Curtis McCray Sr. with a shotgun from about 20 feet away, the Pike County Sheriff's Department said.

Are these people from an alternate universe? It's hard for me to comprehend actions like these.

I think it's safe to say that this guy had some mental problems before this incident. Oh, well, his life's over. One less loser taking up space (I'm talking about the shooter, not the victim, it's tragic that he's gone).

Dan said:
I think it's safe to say that this guy had some mental problems before this incident. Oh, well, his life's over. One less loser taking up space (I'm talking about the shooter, not the victim, it's tragic that he's gone).
I wouldn't be surprised that the parents have been permissive all along, but when a vehicle became involved, decided some 'tough love' was in order. Most middle school teachers I know try to warn parents that if the child's behavior isn't reigned in by 14, larger problems loom ahead....

I didn't mean to sound callous in my post, but this....

Investigator David Haywood said the shooting occurred after the teen was punished for being involved in a minor wreck, and the boy became enraged when his parents returned home eating Sno-Balls and there wasn't one for him.

Is downright infuriating. I'm willing to bet this kid was spoiled rotten all his life, then at some point his parents decided to cut back a little bit, and this is how he reacts. I just picture some little brat pitching a fit because his mommy didn't get him ice cream.

In addition to all this, there's something deeply psychologically infuriating about a child killing his/her parent, at least to me. I hope this kid gets the chair, even though I know he won't.

Lots of people make a huge mistake both in life and in parenting.

I was fortunate to have some sage advice from my step-father in regard to my military career. Most of you know that I retired as a CW4, but during my years in the Army, I spent a few as a commissioned officer at the rank of captain, with duty assignment as a company commander and later as a battalion exec. My step-dad's advice was "Never start out as Mister Nice Guy". When I walked into a new command, the first thing I did was to crack the whip whenever and wherever I detected that operations were not up to par. I left no doubt in anyone's mind that there would be only one commander in my unit - and that was going to be me. Then, when things started to run smoothly and everyone knew what was expected, I basically backed up, got the hell out of the way and let my men do their jobs. After the military, I applied the same philosophy to my business and to my students.

Parenting seems to me to be pretty much the same. You start out strict and as they learn the rules and acquire some judgment of their own, you can back off. It is nearly impossible to start out permissive and then try to tighten up. Even if it works, which is unlikely, the pain will be far more than if parents set some rules to begin with.

Forum List

Back