What would America be like....

I think America is far, far more united than the punditocracy would make you believe. Cable news media has to blab on about something and finds its audience by playing to the differences of people. But for the most part, this red state/blue state is vastly over-rated. Americans are Americans. The differences between conservatives and liberals are not much different than the same differences that you see in most other countries. The only difference is the American context in which it is set.

I agree in the sense that we seem to all have the same goals. The means of getting to those goals is very different, however. But what I find interesting is that the self-professed defenders of the right who ahve posted on this thread have refused to offer up their "vision" of the society their ideology would create. If they believe in the things they espouse, they should be able to see a decent world coming from those beliefs.

Yet all they've done is whine about "the left" and insult people. I find that pretty amusing. One would think they'd look forward to talking about the "vision thing".

I agree in the sense that we seem to all have the same goals. The means of getting to those goals is very different, however. But what I find interesting is that the self-professed defenders of the right who ahve posted on this thread have refused to offer up their "vision" of the society their ideology would create. If they believe in the things they espouse, they should be able to see a decent world coming from those beliefs.

Yet all they've done is whine about "the left" and insult people. I find that pretty amusing. One would think they'd look forward to talking about the "vision thing".

However one wouldn't think that liberals would look foreward to talking about the "vision thing". How would the liberal side of this scenario look and operate, Jiliian ? Can you even do it with out making relative statements about the right or is this vision more hope, change and basically vague bullshit?

However one wouldn't think that liberals would look foreward to talking about the "vision thing". How would the liberal side of this scenario look and operate, Jiliian ? Can you even do it with out making relative statements about the right or is this vision more hope, change and basically vague bullshit?

I already said what I think the "two worlds" would look like. So did the others on the (alleged) left. Surely you can show how your ideology would look if implemented in toto.

I already said what I think the "two worlds" would look like. So did the others on the (alleged) left. Surely you can show how your ideology would look if implemented in toto.

No--you had to include how fucked up the right would be in comparison.

How about extolling the virtues of a society driven by liberalism. Just how would things be ?

Last edited:
We already have this writ small. It's Texas versus California.

How about a poll?

You mean California with its REPUBLICAN governor and its Proposition 8?

Don't think so.

As for Texas... nah... Texas has oil and Texas has Austin. So I think in terms of idology, you'd do better to look at a state like Alabama or Mississippi ...they're more reflective of the results of pure G-d, guns and gays politics.

Don't think so.

I think you'd do better to look at a state like Alabama...

Religion for example----how would liberalism treat religion in America. How deep would it have to be driven from government and the public square to make liberals happy ?

The model for the right is the sarah palin school of thought where there are "unamerican" parts of the country ...

And I think we all know what that meant. Where people can intercept your calls without a warrant.... where the death penalty exists and there is no recourse because the right to appeal is something that those "damn lawyers" want... where people who object to fake science being taught in science class are ostracized

:lol:

That was great. President Palin of the "pro-american" part of the country.

Grump, there already is an empirical answer to your question.

The blue states, the liberal/moderate/enlightened parts of the country are already on average, richer, more prosperous, and more educated than the red parts. Even though the blue states are subidizing the red states with a disproportionate percentage of our federal tax dollars.

I think most americans, whether they admit it or not, would rather live in the section of the country where martin luther king was a national icon, than in the part where Jerry Falwell was considered a national icon.

if (theoretically) the country was split in two down the middle. Those on the left side of the Rockies were all libs and the ones on the right side were conservatives. I'm not interested in distribution of mineral wealth etc, more interested in what type of society it would be. Which society would be better?

They would both fail miserably. They need each other to keep the balance.

Don't think so.

As for Texas... nah... Texas has oil and Texas has Austin. So I think in terms of idology, you'd do better to look at a state like Alabama or Mississippi ...they're more reflective of the results of pure G-d, guns and gays politics.

So California is a red state?

I don't think so.

California versus Texas is the best comparison in the country.

California is considered one of the bluest states, Texas one of the reddest.

They are both large states.

They both border the ocean and Mexico.

The both lie in roughly the same latitude and climate.

Heck, they were both independent republics that broke free of Mexico, although the Republic of California only lasted a month.

You aren't going to get a better comparison than that.

Last edited:
I found the old county level electorial map for 2004 from USAToday.

2004countymap-final2.gif

Anyone have one for 2008? I'd be curious to see a comparison.

I found the old county level electorial map for 2004 from USAToday.

2004countymap-final2.gif

Anyone have one for 2008? I'd be curious to see a comparison.

Election maps

This is not a good indicator of support however. Especially since this election showed that it's Republicans who live in the rural areas for the most part (majority wise) and the majority of Liberals live in the city.

Edit: Never mind on you having the 2008 one up, the 2004 and 2008 one just look very similar. For a second I thought you had the 2004 one.

Last edited:
Election maps

This is not a good indicator of support however. Especially since this election showed that it's Republicans who live in the rural areas for the most part (majority wise) and the majority of Liberals live in the city.

Edit: Never mind on you having the 2008 one up, the 2004 and 2008 one just look very similar. For a second I thought you had the 2004 one.

No, you were right, that is the 2004 map.

Thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for. :thup:

2000countymap.gif

2004countymap-final2.gif

countymapredbluer512.png

The area where Michigan is, the Northeast, and southwest were areas where Democrats gained in both four and eight years.

The northeast is all but non-existent for Republicans.

Least what I gained from looking at these charts.

Your posts show that you don't have a clue about Americans, life in America, the differences in the political parties in America or the geography of America. Stick to the land down under, why don't you try to occupy your time learning how to heat water effectively.

I think my posts show I know more about the US than you do. You should not waste your time on messageboards, and try and start reeducation or something. Having being a miserable failure at your chosen profession must really chap your fat arse. How many bags did you handle today? Is that the apex of your day?

Shitty (real name Cletus): "Hey Marv, I handled 18 bags today of the 3,000 that came through, Tomorrow I'm goin' fer 19!".

Marv: "Good on ya Cletus. But I'm taking off the seven with the broken zips. Told you to stop trying to steal dose women's panties out the bags."

Shitty (real name Cletus) "Yessum."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back