What would America be like....

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
if (theoretically) the country was split in two down the middle. Those on the left side of the Rockies were all libs and the ones on the right side were conservatives. I'm not interested in distribution of mineral wealth etc, more interested in what type of society it would be. Which society would be better?

Which society would have a better justice system?
Which society would have a better social system?
What sort of health system would be better?
Tax system? that sort of thing.

I believe the lib side would be far and away better. Why? Because although true-blue neocons think all libs are soft on crime and social welfare and support unattainable health care, most libs America (well to the rest of the world anyway) are centrists, and therefore nowhere near as left that the neocons think they are. Theirs would be a more just, freer and caring society. It would be more intellectual, more at ease with solving real problems. Oh, and don't think they'd be soft on crime. Life in prison would be life and it wouldn't be too much fun...

However, a conservative society in America would also be a Christian society, which means there would be back street abortions, anybody out of the norm would be ostricised (which would nullify artists, writers, musicians - can anybody say Dixie Chicks).Censorship would be rife, and the death penalty would be a must, and several 1000 people each decade would probably be put to death who were innocent (I think with no liberal balance, conservative judges, prosecutors and politicians, would have a field day). Think of Arnie's movie, the Running Man. That would be the conservative society IMO...

Last edited:
if (theoretically) the country was split in two down the middle. Those on the left side of the Rockies were all libs and the ones on the right side were conservatives. I'm not interested in distribution of mineral wealth etc, more interested in what type of society it would be. Which society would be better?

I believe the lib side would be far and away better. Why? Because although true-blue neocons think all libs are soft on crime and social welfare and support unattainable health care, most libs America (well to the rest of the world anyway) are centrists, and therefore nowhere near as left that the neocons think they are. Theirs would be a more just, freer and caring society. It would be more intellectual, more at ease with solving real problems. Oh, and don't think they'd be soft on crime. Life in prison would be life and it wouldn't be too much fun...

However, a conservative society in America would also be a Christian society, which means there would be back street abortions, anybody out of the norm would be ostricised (which would nullify artists, writers, musicians - can anybody say Dixie Chicks).Censorship would be rife, and the death penalty would be a must, and several 1000 people each decade would probably be put to death who were innocent (I think with no liberal balance, conservative judges, prosecutors and politicians, would have a field day). Think of Arnie's movie, the Running Man. That would be the conservative society IMO...

Doc, those spirits are for medicinal purposes only.

The red half would be poor and the blue half would be rich. Right now, the blue states are paying more into the federal budget pie, and the red states are net recipients of the federal pork.

since when did the rockies denote the middle of the united states? and where do the moderates go? i would rather live with moderates than extremes from either side.

Hey Dump, How much time did you waste on this horseshit post? Your prejudice is comical and pathetic at the same time. And look at that, you have that incredibly stupid HelloDollyLlama dimwit agreeing with you........ you must be very proud.:lol::lol::lol:

I have one for you, if all the sheep and little boys in New Zealand would disappear, who would you molest?

Hey Dump, How much time did you waste on this horseshit post? Your prejudice is comical and pathetic at the same time. And look at that, you have that incredibly stupid HelloDollyLlama dimwit agreeing with you........ you must be very proud.:lol::lol::lol:

I have one for you, if all the sheep and little boys in New Zealand would disappear, who would you molest?

Still trolling and still having fantasises about little boys and sheep huh? Some things never change..

since when did the rockies denote the middle of the united states? and where do the moderates go? i would rather live with moderates than extremes from either side.

Oh, god, exactly the distraction I didn't want to get into. The point is not where the line is, it is the type of society. And who is to say the lib or conservative sides WOULDn't be moderate? That is the point of the thread. Make ya case sista! I would suspect the libs would be a lot more moderate than the conservatives. Mabye that is the problem with the US, there is no moderate anything any more..

Oh, god, exactly the distraction I didn't want to get into. The point is not where the line is, it is the type of society. And who is to say the lib or conservative sides WOULDn't be moderate? That is the point of the thread. Make ya case sista! I would suspect the libs would be a lot more moderate than the conservatives. Mabye that is the problem with the US, there is no moderate anything any more..

Your posts show that you don't have a clue about Americans, life in America, the differences in the political parties in America or the geography of America. Stick to the land down under, why don't you try to occupy your time learning how to heat water effectively.

Are there moderates? If you support gay rights, then you are called a "lib" (even though I think that's pretty moderate). If you support Israel, you are called a neo-con (even though I think THAT is moderate). If you support health coverage for all Americans, does that make you a "leftist" or does it show that you understand that the US is the only "western" country in the world that DOESN'T provide health coverage?

I think the question raised, though, is actually a good one. What would a society modeled on "conservative" ideals look like? And what would a society modeled on "liberal" ideals look like? (particularly given that "liberal" here really is considered moderate in most other civilized parts of the world).

Personally, I suspect that a society modeled on fairness and due process and everyone taking a live and let live position when it comes to religion and not a police state but a state where everyone has an opportunity to succeed is a pretty nice concept. And those are "liberal" ideals.

The model for the right is the sarah palin school of thought where there are "unamerican" parts of the country ... And I think we all know what that meant. Where people can intercept your calls without a warrant.... where the death penalty exists and there is no recourse because the right to appeal is something that those "damn lawyers" want... where people who object to fake science being taught in science class are ostracized... and if you don't pray, your kids get bullied in school.... where gays are marginalized and poor people are left to their own devices. Economically, we already SEE the logical conclusion of "conservative" economic trickle down voodoo economics.

I don't think it's such a hot world.

Are there moderates? If you support gay rights, then you are called a "lib" (even though I think that's pretty moderate). If you support Israel, you are called a neo-con (even though I think THAT is moderate). If you support health coverage for all Americans, does that make you a "leftist" or does it show that you understand that the US is the only "western" country in the world that DOESN'T provide health coverage?

I think the question raised, though, is actually a good one. What would a society modeled on "conservative" ideals look like? And what would a society modeled on "liberal" ideals look like? (particularly given that "liberal" here really is considered moderate in most other civilized parts of the world).

Personally, I suspect that a society modeled on fairness and due process and everyone taking a live and let live position when it comes to religion and not a police state but a state where everyone has an opportunity to succeed is a pretty nice concept. And those are "liberal" ideals.

The model for the right is the sarah palin school of thought where there are "unamerican" parts of the country ... And I think we all know what that meant. Where people can intercept your calls without a warrant.... where the death penalty exists and there is no recourse because the right to appeal is something that those "damn lawyers" want... where people who object to fake science being taught in science class are ostracized... and if you don't pray, your kids get bullied in school.... where gays are marginalized and poor people are left to their own devices. Economically, we already SEE the logical conclusion of "conservative" economic trickle down voodoo economics.

I don't think it's such a hot world.

You? Fair? Remind us how Bush is guilty of crimes that you can not even provide any evidence of and insist because you say he is, he is.

Go BACK to Law school and this time pay attention.

Your posts show that you don't have a clue about Americans, life in America, the differences in the political parties in America or the geography of America. Stick to the land down under, why don't you try to occupy your time learning how to heat water effectively.

No need to get upset, it's just a variation on the two worlds mind experiment.

You? Fair? Remind us how Bush is guilty of crimes that you can not even provide any evidence of and insist because you say he is, he is.

There is abundant evidence to prove that Bush committed impeachable offenses in a dozen different areas.

The number of moderates is going to grow like gangbusters.

For 30 years the Republicans have tried to turn the political middle into a scorched no-man's land, destroying any moderate from either party, in an effort to try to force Americans to choose between their philosophy, the far-right doctrine, and the far left. But then their philosophy was exposed as a fraud by 8 years of Bush, and then Obama staked out the middle for himself, giving all those in-the-closet moderates a place to run to.

The Revenge of the Centrists.

Again, instead of spewing and engaging in your typical rant... why don't you tell us what the idyllic right wing world is...

come on...I look forward to hearing about it

or would you rather rant because you know we're correct?

I think America is far, far more united than the punditocracy would make you believe. Cable news media has to blab on about something and finds its audience by playing to the differences of people. But for the most part, this red state/blue state is vastly over-rated. Americans are Americans. The differences between conservatives and liberals are not much different than the same differences that you see in most other countries. The only difference is the American context in which it is set.

Last edited:
Tell us about six.........

He can't. Why? Because they have all been investigated by both republicans and democrats and found to not be illegal or unauthorized at all. Bush neither lied nor mislead. And Both the Republicans and the democrats have stated so in Senate Investigations.

Once again to believe Bush lied one must also believe that Clinton and his entire Administration lied for 8 years also. One would need to believe that the intelligence services of most of the world all lied as well. Including Countries trying , after being bribed, to lift sanctions.

Jillian claims to be a Lawyer yet has no concept of the fact that before doing anything the Bush White House got LEGAL opinions on every thing they did. Further the Democrats voted for every measure he created. And they voted for funds every year of his Presidency.

Forum List

Back