what will the Libertarian Party's strategy for 2020 be?

Jun 29, 2017
Dallas
this last presidential election, the libertarian party broke the record for their share of the popular vote in the general election. And that was with a candidate who was by far the weakest candidate in their primary field.
Ive seen some libertarians advocate for going GOP and "change from within"---make the repub platform more libertarian. Rand Paul is doing this, with mixed results. Austin Petersen is also running for a seat under the GOP brand. Other libertarians are arguing that now is the time to capitalize on many right leaning voters aapprehensions about the trump admin and try to grow the party.
Fellow libertarians, what are your thoughts on this discussion, and also, what would you like to see the LP do to increase its viability as a national political organization.

Libertarians should keep rattling the Republican Party cage. If the RINOs don't like that let them start a new party.
fair enough, so do you think that is going to be more effective in the long term than trying to grow the LP?
Yes. If the Libertarians abide in their autonomy, they and the Republicans will remain mere pets of the leviathan that the Democrats feed.

The libertarians will do what they always do, which is suck up to the Republican uber-statists. Modern libertarians tend to work to oppose liberty.

LP is neither libertarian nor useful. They got a boost last election because of two very unpopular candidates representing our two party system. Next time, kiss sub-1% hello.

I don't know. I think the next election may not turn out as well for them. Remember this election we had the two least liked major candidates possible. I think that in it's own is what gave their party votes. People saying "neither of these guys".

The libertarians will do what they always do, which is suck up to the Republican uber-statists. Modern libertarians tend to work to oppose liberty.

And which party represents the best interests of Liberty?

Just an observation: The LP is small enough so that if the disaffected majority wanted to over take it and reform it's platform, they could change it before the next election - if people got off their backsides and actually did it.

For liberty: The Constitution Party followed by the Republican Party.

Just an observation: The LP is small enough so that if the disaffected majority wanted to over take it and reform it's platform, they could change it before the next election - if people got off their backsides and actually did it.

Just an observation, the disaffected majority are idiots who keep electing the same politicians with the same empty promises and counter-productive ideas. If they had the mental capacity to take over the LP, they wouldn't need to take over the LP. They could reform the Republican party instead.

For liberty: The Constitution Party followed by the Republican Party.

Just an observation, the disaffected majority are idiots who keep electing the same politicians with the same empty promises and counter-productive ideas. If they had the mental capacity to take over the LP, they wouldn't need to take over the LP. They could reform the Republican party instead.

You cannot take over the Republican Party when the Establishment has enough power to corrupt anyone that tries.

While the Constitution Party has a good platform, it has the inherent inability to appeal to a good enough cross section of voters.

We cannot return to the principles of the Constitution in one fell swoop. I'm trying to help get a couple of easy bills passed that would begin that process, but even legislation that doesn't cost money and would help restore Liberty is almost impossible to get noticed, much less passed.

You cannot take over the Republican Party when the Establishment has enough power to corrupt anyone that tries.

Freedom is born of blood and it withers away until given birth by blood again. Tyrants entrench themselves in bureaucracy and they brainwash the public into being their servants. So, nothing short of a new Civil War will restore our freedom.

I'm trying to help get a couple of easy bills passed that would begin that process, but even legislation that doesn't cost money and would help restore Liberty is almost impossible to get noticed, much less passed.

Good luck with that.

Freedom is born of blood and it withers away until given birth by blood again. Tyrants entrench themselves in bureaucracy and they brainwash the public into being their servants. So, nothing short of a new Civil War will restore our freedom.

I'm trying to help get a couple of easy bills passed that would begin that process, but even legislation that doesn't cost money and would help restore Liberty is almost impossible to get noticed, much less passed.

Good luck with that.

At the end of the day I agree with what you're saying. John Adams once said:

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

Still, we have to exhaust all of our nonviolent political and legal avenues of redress before resorting to extraordinary measures. Nothing says that, in the meantime, we cannot plan out what the new government will look like.

The puppet-masters took over our nation and changed the laws through many deceptive processes. The problem is, we haven't come up with a platform to rally people into a more representative government.

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

There are several reasons freedom can't be restored without war. The first problem is that people who want freedom are led on snipe hunts that can't get them to where they want to go. The Iraq war hunt for WMDs is a literal example, if we call WMDs snipes (we knew there were no WMDs, the opinions of damn fools aside). Other examples include eliminating the estate tax (a reasonable substitute for capital gains taxes), changing the tax structure (which would raise taxes on the middle-class, and not reduce the size of the IRS, the arguments of damn fools aside), building border wall (entry is legal for non-criminals, the problem is people over-staying), and just about everything else being dangled in from of hardworking Americans.

Another big problem is that people don't act until it's too late. Instead of cementing our freedoms when we have them, we try to retrieve them after we lose them and the new status quo becomes "settled law" which the public becomes accustomed to (the boiling frog). The Constitution enshrined Free Speech as the highest law of the land, but we could never restore Free Speech today if it were lost. Not without a bloody revolution.

And, Revolutions do happen when societies reach a breaking point.

If Republicans had half a brain, they'd be fixing Obamacare, rather than trying to repeal it. Fixing it by baking in deregulation and freedom of conscience into the ACA (reducing government control and cost of our medical care, without raising insurmountable opposition). Instead they're accomplishing nothing. Eventually, the Democrats will return to power and further advance their healthcare agenda. But, how many Republicans talk about fixing Obamacare?

There are several reasons freedom can't be restored without war. The first problem is that people who want freedom are led on snipe hunts that can't get them to where they want to go. The Iraq war hunt for WMDs is a literal example, if we call WMDs snipes (we knew there were no WMDs, the opinions of damn fools aside). Other examples include eliminating the estate tax (a reasonable substitute for capital gains taxes), changing the tax structure (which would raise taxes on the middle-class, and not reduce the size of the IRS, the arguments of damn fools aside), building border wall (entry is legal for non-criminals, the problem is people over-staying), and just about everything else being dangled in from of hardworking Americans.

Another big problem is that people don't act until it's too late. Instead of cementing our freedoms when we have them, we try to retrieve them after we lose them and the new status quo becomes "settled law" which the public becomes accustomed to (the boiling frog). The Constitution enshrined Free Speech as the highest law of the land, but we could never restore Free Speech today if it were lost. Not without a bloody revolution.

And, Revolutions do happen when societies reach a breaking point.

If Republicans had half a brain, they'd be fixing Obamacare, rather than trying to repeal it. Fixing it by baking in deregulation and freedom of conscience into the ACA (reducing government control and cost of our medical care, without raising insurmountable opposition). Instead they're accomplishing nothing. Eventually, the Democrats will return to power and further advance their healthcare agenda. But, how many Republicans talk about fixing Obamacare?

The Republicans had six years to do something about Obamacare. The fact that they sat on their lazy arses and complained without offering something better says more than all the posts I can do.

The Republicans had six years to do something about Obamacare. The fact that they sat on their lazy arses and complained without offering something better says more than all the posts I can do.

Obama had the veto... Trying to simply repeal Obamacare is stupid, both strategically and morally. It's strategically stupid because it's not going to happen, not even close. It's morally stupid because because it would cause millions of American to lose health insurance and be stuck in the mess the government created before Obamacare.

A party that does nothing at state or local level. A party that picked a drooling moron for it's presidential bid. A party that lacks funding or a cohesive message except legalize pot.
Yeah...they will just lose again.

this last presidential election, the libertarian party broke the record for their share of the popular vote in the general election. And that was with a candidate who was by far the weakest candidate in their primary field.
Ive seen some libertarians advocate for going GOP and "change from within"---make the repub platform more libertarian. Rand Paul is doing this, with mixed results. Austin Petersen is also running for a seat under the GOP brand. Other libertarians are arguing that now is the time to capitalize on many right leaning voters aapprehensions about the trump admin and try to grow the party.
Fellow libertarians, what are your thoughts on this discussion, and also, what would you like to see the LP do to increase its viability as a national political organization.

It's a valid question. I am not affiliated with any party, but my views most closely align with the libatarians. As near as I can tell, the Libitarians are a rudderless ship, which makes sense given their political philosophy. They need a dynamic leader, and Gary Johnson was a horrible choice.

Obama had the veto... Trying to simply repeal Obamacare is stupid, both strategically and morally. It's strategically stupid because it's not going to happen, not even close. It's morally stupid because because it would cause millions of American to lose health insurance and be stuck in the mess the government created before Obamacare.

The Republicans could have come up with an alternative plan in the six years they wailed about it and then introduced it after Obama left office. You did know that is possible, right?

Personally, I'm against socialized medicine. If health insurance were treated like car insurance, it would be available AND affordable to all.

A party that does nothing at state or local level. A party that picked a drooling moron for it's presidential bid. A party that lacks funding or a cohesive message except legalize pot.
Yeah...they will just lose again.

They may lose again OR someone might listen to what I'm saying and begin to the process to reform the platform and start a grass roots effort with something more than legalizing pot.

Forum List

Back