what to do ...what to do.....o hell what to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strollingbones, Aug 6, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,879
    hubby grows mushrooms.....he calls me the other day and says...the mushroom you go nuts over are up....well i am not into mushrooms....so i wonder over to this logs...and there are the indian pipes or corpse plant or ghost pipe...i love them....of course....they are hard to find and once you find a patch you hope they spread..except for this...

Here's how it works: Since Indian Pipe has no chlorophyl, it can't make its own food like most plants. Therefore, it has to "borrow" nutrients, either from decaying plant matter, or from another organism. The way it does this is by having its roots tap into the mycelia (root-like threads) of a fungus. The Indian Pipe can then take nutrients directly from the fungus. Meanwhile, the fungus itself has another relationship going on with a tree. The fungus's mycelia also tap into the tree's roots. Many fungi and trees have this type of relationship -- it's called a "mycorrhizal relationship." The fungus gives nutrients to the tree and the tree gives nutrients to the fungus. Both organisms help each other out.

Indian Pipe, however, does not give anything back to the fungus or the tree. It takes nutrients from the fungus that the fungus had gotten for itself, and it also takes nutrients that the fungus had received from the tree. Since the fungus then has to take more nutrients from the tree, this makes Indian Pipe a parasite of both the fungus and the tree.

indian pipe

2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    If it doesn't make you trip, noone cares about your mushrooms...:doubt:

3. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,879
    hubby grows mushrooms.....he calls me the other day and says...the mushroom you go nuts over are up....well i am not into mushrooms....so i wonder over to this logs...and there are the indian pipes or corpse plant or ghost pipe...i love them....of course....they are hard to find and once you find a patch you hope they spread..except for this...

Here's how it works: Since Indian Pipe has no chlorophyl, it can't make its own food like most plants. Therefore, it has to "borrow" nutrients, either from decaying plant matter, or from another organism. The way it does this is by having its roots tap into the mycelia (root-like threads) of a fungus. The Indian Pipe can then take nutrients directly from the fungus. Meanwhile, the fungus itself has another relationship going on with a tree. The fungus's mycelia also tap into the tree's roots. Many fungi and trees have this type of relationship -- it's called a "mycorrhizal relationship." The fungus gives nutrients to the tree and the tree gives nutrients to the fungus. Both organisms help each other out.

Indian Pipe, however, does not give anything back to the fungus or the tree. It takes nutrients from the fungus that the fungus had gotten for itself, and it also takes nutrients that the fungus had received from the tree. Since the fungus then has to take more nutrients from the tree, this makes Indian Pipe a parasite of both the fungus and the tree.

indian pipe

now if i tell him...he will destroy the pipes....might i mention his logs didnt spawn this year....and were taken over by an invading fungus.....if i dont tell him...he will be wasting a lot of time and effort....or should i just stay out of it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this will cause turmoil in our home.

4. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Do they get you high?

5. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,879
    why did it post twice?

6. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705

well, the 2nd one has pics and came much later, so good question ;)

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,879
    no.....why did this double post....they do not get you high.....you realize that srooms that get you high ....do it ...cause they are poison?

8. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Too early for talk of fungi.

9. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,879
    where are mods when you need one?