insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.local6.com/news/3349031/detail.html

Dad Charged For Not Using Enough Sunblock On 12-Year-Old
Boy Severely Burned

POSTED: 1:17 pm EDT May 26, 2004
UPDATED: 2:05 pm EDT May 26, 2004

CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. -- A man has been charged with child abuse for not applying enough sunblock to his 12-year-old son before a day at the beach.

The boy was severely burned as a result, authorities said.

Walter McKelvie Jr., 43, of Vineland, was indicted Tuesday and charged with one count of child abuse and neglect in the July 20 incident, in which he took his mentally disabled son to the beach in Wildwood.

The son, identified only as R.M., suffered large, bleeding blisters on his back and face. Authorities were alerted by the boy's mother, who has custody of him but was not with him at the beach, according to Assistant Cape May County Prosecutor Meghan Hoerner.

She took the boy to the hospital and then reported the incident to authorities.

McKelvie told investigators he put sunblock on the boy, but the indictment said he failed "to apply enough sunscreen causing severe sunburn to R.M." while he had custody of him.

If convicted, McKelvie could face up to 18 months in prison.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I understand its a bad accident, but come on. 18 months in prison for not putting ENOUGH sunscreen on his kid? This just sounds like a vendictive ex-wife trying to get back at her ex-husband.

It is again government run amok, trying to legislate common sense and what is "good" for us.

But then here in WA, they agree to let the Green River Killer pleas to life w/o paroll in order to close their files on other murders thereby increasing the difficulty in obtaining a death sentance on any "ordinary" murders.

I think instead of 18 mos in jail, this guy should get 18 mos. with the ex - I guarantee at the end of that time frame, they will have a real crime to charge him with.

ROTFLMAO - I just crack myself up.

How could he not notice bleeding blisters on his son's face and back?

I'm just curious on that. :confused:

Granted, I think this was more and likely an accident, but still... Coming from my own experience, my mother wouldn't let me go for more than an hour and a half before hauling my butt back out of the ocean for more Coppertone. LOL

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
And the kid didn't realize he was getting fried?

The kid was retarded apparently. I mean that literally.

As for the blisters, i've been burnt bad before and nothing shows up until you go home at the end of the night. Thats when it starts to blister and peal.

Ya, that's happened to me as well, but on my feet... ewww....

Like I said, I'm sure it was an accident. I was just wondering how the father may not have noticed, but the more I think about it, sometimes people sunburn and blisters do show up later.

I am in no way condoning the father, don't get me wrong. I didn't realize the kid was mentally disabled. Knowing that, the father should be left on a beach somewhere from sun un till sun set for a week and see how he feels.......

(Who says I can't admit it when I goof....)

Forum List

Back