What Teachers Make

Teacher-What-others-think-I-do-poster.jpg

Great poster chanel.

The Marine Drill Instructor (actually Sergeant Instructor) was doing his work that day with my son in the same squad bay. He is not pictured, thankfully, as that officer candidate looked embarrassingly scared shitless. That picture was taken during "pick-up" where new candidates "get to know" their SIs.

Marines Drill Instructors are called Sergeant Instructors at OCS in Quantico. They are required to have at least one previous tour at Parris Island or MCRD San Diego prior to serving at Officer Candidate's School.

While "teachers" as a class cannot be blamed for the sorry state of American public education, teachers' unions can be blamed for protecting the jobs of incompetents and thwarting any initiative that does not benefit their members (e.g., longer class days).

The states are largely to blame for allowing local control of education, when regional utilization of resources could produce better results and provide more equitable treatment of everyone involved.

A good teacher is worth $100k/yr and a poor one is worth less than nothing.
I totally agree. I was a member and officer of the Association of Texas Professional Educators, who fought the AFT/TSTA after they illegally joined with the national union. We believe in no striking, collaborating with parents, school boards and administrators.

By the way, teachers draw a salary for nine months, paid out over 12 months. Weekends are not free. There are student activities that teachers have to participate in without pay, parking cars, selling tickets, and being security at sporting events, having to find a part time job during the summer to make ends meet.
At the end of 5 years teaching with two Master's degrees, I made $13,000 (1982), no medical benefits for my family or myself, no eyeglasses or anything else. When I attended a conference, I was expected to foot the bill myself, or get a room for 6, carpool there and back, and eat a lot of Big Macs.

Sorry, saymyname, but it didn't happen in Texas. You are spouting B.S.:disagree:

T

That was 1982. A lot of things have changed, even in Wisconsin...*wink*

Thank you for sharing, BDBoop.

I am a woman fiber artist and during my career, I worked long hours over a drawing board and waited on the public so I could continue my art, write instruction manuals, etc. My fiber works were good enough to win two best of shows and many blue ribbons, but they never earned me even a minimum wage recompense in 25 years of beating myself up.

In 1994, I was invited into a classroom by a master of home economics teacher who taught home economics at a salary of $60,000 a year to her school. I drove my 20-year-old, beat-up station wagon to her school with my soft works stowed carefully in the back of my car to show her pupils. As I struggled all by myself to bring in 8 boxes of my art, she had her students making appliques from a book of animal designs that took a year of my life to work up, and had used my copyrighted patterns by way of her $50,000 brand new xerox copier with every feature of copying known to mankind.

Instead of buying separate patterns from a starving artist, her excuse for doing this piracy was that "everyone does it, shut up."

She never visited my world-class fabric store again because I pinned the question on her, "Why are you republishing my work without my permission and giving it away for free?"

Teachers punish poor, hardworking female slaves like me, with zero pay and shibboleths "you do what you do because it rewards you. I deserve a million times better than you because my parents put me through 6 years of college, and I've been a teacher for over 5 years. Furthermore, I, the fairy princess of la-la land honored you by letting you work your peasant butt off for 30 years, and you're not even grovelling. What's wrong with YOU!!!"

Teachers will not use award-winning patterns if they hate the artist and the artist's need to at least put a piece of bread on the table. A teacher I helped made sure to put me on her no-help list after I did her and her pupils many good deeds and shared all I had with her.

I continued to work my butt off with 80-to 100-hour weeks without her patronizing support. She paid me back by lavishing her school contract money on 3 competitors she propped up against my small business, which to make money, would have required a 250,000 person population base. Our community had 50,000, divided by four.

She continued her little 40-hour weeks with benefits paid for by the state, and she will retire on a pretty penny.

Sorry, after my experience, I don't buy the pity schtick from people who are comfortable on the public penny to get more, more, and much more every passing year than my small business ever had a prayer of making.

If I have freedom, it is freedom from usurpers who don't tell the other side of the story that looks and sounds so powerful from the podium of soliloquy where no one is allowed to talk back to the teacher.

I mean, how dare we? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What a whiny, self-important bitch you are.

Last edited:
I watched it.

Not impressed. He's a teacher bfd. He works part time has summers off uses the same hackneyed lesson plan over and over.

I never understood why teachers think they are so fucking noble.

Part of it comes from dealing with punks like you on a daily basis....

I was a straight A student and it wasn't because of any teacher. People learn more out of the classroom than in one.

Link?

Part of it comes from dealing with punks like you on a daily basis....

I was a straight A student and it wasn't because of any teacher. People learn more out of the classroom than in one.

Link?

No need the fact is that people spend more time out of a classroom than in one.

And a large portion of the time people are "in school" they are hardly learning.

I can learn more in an afternoon in the library than most will learn in a week of classes.

My god are you all so brainwashed as to think that school is the only place to learn?

And a large portion of the time people are "in school" they are hardly learning.

I can learn more in an afternoon in the library than most will learn in a week of classes.

My god are you all so brainwashed as to think that school is the only place to learn?

And what are they doing with all that time outside the classroom?

Video games, Magic cards, D & D, skateboarding, getting drunk or stoned, Wii'ng, endless social networking, etc.
How many do you think are in the library to do any more than surf the net?

Unsupervised kids are NOT learning outside the school!

WOW!! Powerful. Loved that. Wish more teachers had that kind of dedication and authority. The kids are the ones with the authority, these days.

In 2002, a former hubby started teaching middle school on the Oregon Coast, nine months a year, which after holidays, teacher's day's etc., he worked 8 months a year. Monday through Friday, 8 to 3p. His starting salary was 47K plus fabulous insurance for those eight months. ( In fairness, he did have an advanced degree.)

There are good teachers and bad teachers, but the people who deserve the blame for the pitiful state of our public school system are the parents. If parents don't discipline their children and instead blame the school for trying to when their kid acts out they have only themselves to blame. If parents don't attend school board meetings or take the time to look at their kids homework and see what they're being taught then they have only themselves to blame. If parents aren't paying attention to the way their elected officials deal with education issues they have only themselves to blame.

So until parents take some responsibility for their child's education and stop treating the school like a daycare center to drop their brats off at when they go to work you can expect us to continue to have a shitty public school system.

What teacher's make is often considering the base pay of beginning educators. The inside joke amongst them is to always talk bad about how they have it. Lets look at some facts.

They make more than most firemen, policemen, and other bureacrats on average in any same county of the United States. At the same time, they get all holidays and nearly three months off in the summer for that same average pay. They get weekends off. They get evenings off without having to work late unless they choose to do so.

Teachers have health plans better than the average American. Many have perks, such as a free pair of contacts or glasses every year. Many districts encourage professional travel outside the district for conventions and seminars that are luxurious, to say the least.

Let's not forget that they work inside weather it be rain, sleet, snow, or hot desert sun. Now that is an undervalued plus.

Keep perpetuating the myth that teachers have it so bad. I did for years for obviously all too selfish reasons.

Teaching in the United States is one of the most pampered professions in the country.
There's another side to the story. All states require that teachers be certified which means a 4 year degree unlike firemen or policeman. In most states, advancement and sometimes just keeping your job requires a masters degree. The average cost of a 4 year degree is about $50,000, if you avoid the more pricey schools. The average starting salary for a teacher is about $33,000. If the teacher get's a masters degree which will cost another $10K to $20K, then after 15 to 20 years in the classroom, the teacher can expect to be making $50,000 to $65,000 depending on the state. Also, the chance of advancement is not good compared to most professions. A classroom teacher that stays in education is likely to be in the classroom when they retire.

If you consider just the educational cost and salary, teaching is not a very attractive career. Yes, days off are nice, but if you're raising a family, two weeks off at Christmas, semester break, and 10 weeks off in summer doesn't allow much opportunity to meaningfully supplement your income unless you have some special skills other than teaching.

Good benefits such as health insurance, retirement, days off, and job security are what attracts people to teaching, not salary. If you cut into the benefits, retirement, and job security without much higher pay, then better students will just bypass education as a career.

The biggest problem in education is that we don't spend enough time educating kids. Our schools are closed 30% of the year. How many businesses can afford to close their doors nearly 1/3 of the year? There are 63,000 public schools that sit empty nearly 1/3 of the year. Teachers aren't working. Students are home pestering their parents or getting in trouble and test scores compared to other countries are falling.

Good benefits such as health insurance, retirement, days off, and job security are what attracts people to teaching, not salary. If you cut into the benefits, retirement, and job security without much higher pay, then better students will just bypass education as a career.
Correct.

The biggest problem in education is that we don't spend enough time educating kids. Our schools are closed 30% of the year. How many businesses can afford to close their doors nearly 1/3 of the year? There are 63,000 public schools that sit empty nearly 1/3 of the year. Teachers aren't working. Students are home pestering their parents or getting in trouble and test scores compared to other countries are falling.

And when schools are open teachers are forced to address issues having nothing to do with education, allowing for less time to teach.

The teachers unions have destroyed the opinions on teachers by most Americans.
I cannot think of a more tragic story than the American education system and teachers unions.
Good teachers whose care for their students matches their skill do not get paid one penny more than the worthless f*cks who absolutely suck at teaching and don't care.
The unions do not allow pay by merit. Teachers also enjoy the lowest termination percentages in the nation - THINK ABOUT THAT. The people who are responsible for teaching our next generation have almost zero chance of ever losing their job no matter how bad they are....outrageous.

And BTW - 25 days a year off for holidays plus 45-60 days off for summer and get paid for all of it - I would trade for that any day.
You're probably correct about low termination, but that certainly doesn't mean that schools are forced to keep incompetent teachers. In many school systems today, teachers enter the system as substitute teachers. Those that don't measure up have trouble getting a permanent position. Once hired, the teacher is on probation for several years and can be dismissed at any time. After completing the probationary period, the teacher can still be fired for cause, but usually the teacher resigns. However, often the teacher is transferred out of the school, sometimes to a non-teaching position but often to a less desirable position that's difficult to fill and the teacher resigns. So don't think for minute that schools don't get rid of bad teachers. If the principal really wants to get rid of you, he certainly can.

The avg teacher salary in our area is 60K. The avg home price is 300K.

Many cops in our town make over 100K with overtime. Teachers do not get OT.

# The median pension payment for teachers in 2008 was $43,200. Police and fire fund retirees were paid a median $61,800, with State Police getting $81,700.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/top_three/article_9dd4da3c-e218-11de-ad5e-001cc4c03286.html

I'm not saying cops don't deserve that, but it is unfair to compare the two. And it is equally unfair for our governor to go after the teachers' union and remain silent about the PBA.

Last edited:
The avg teacher salary in our area is 60K. The avg home price is 300K.

Many cops in our town make over 100K with overtime. Teachers do not get OT.

Our pensions are 50 percent pay after 30 yrs. Police pensions are 100 percent.

I'm not saying cops don't deserve that, but it is unfair to compare the two. And it is equally unfair for our governor to go after the teachers' union and remain silent about the PBA.

It's unfair to the Taxpayers to have to foot the bill for "extravagant" benefits, and retirements (very FEW Taxpayers enjoy) for either one. As for OT, I suppose having the summer off with a job that pays 60K AVERAGE doesn't factor in. Hard to justify that to a Taxpayer making 50K with the same college credentials who ONLY gets 2 weeks vacation per year don't you think? Wisconsin is proof that the gravy train is nearly over.

Summer vacation envy? That's not the union's call.

I live in NJ. The avg. salary for a professional with a 4 yr degree is far more than 50K.

The "extravagant benefits" balance that out.

Anyone who envies the job should go for it. Good luck.

And what are they doing with all that time outside the classroom?

Video games, Magic cards, D & D, skateboarding, getting drunk or stoned, Wii'ng, endless social networking, etc.
How many do you think are in the library to do any more than surf the net?

Unsupervised kids are NOT learning outside the school!

Judging by our declining performance as compared to other countries supervised kids in school aren't learning either.

And what happens outside of school is the parent's responsibility. If parents let their kids waste away in front of the idiot box, it's not my concern.

Forum List

Back