What should be done, if anything, to bring home $5 trillion held overseas by American businesses?

I don't give a damn about other countries... I want MY military to spend more... in every case, in all areas. And not by a little but by a lot. Only idiots and morons want it otherwise.
Why is that? There's got to be a line where enough is enough right?
Sure! But you're not debating where that line is, you're lobbying for massive cuts. I don't think we need cuts... maybe trim some waste... maybe not give our enemies billions of dollars... maybe avoid giving away our technology to China and others... but as some realistic means to bring our huge deficit in check, it's an idiotic argument.
Military spending is the largest driver of the deficit BY FAR (from descrssionary spending) I support a strong military and am not calling for massive cuts. But you are naive if you don't think there is just as much waste in military spending as there is in government programs. I'd bet there is more waste in military spending than any other department
Nope... biggest driver for of the deficits are servicing the $20 trillion debt. Defense spending is high but it's the primary function of our government.

Now.... your housing cost is probably your biggest expense... does that automatically mean you need to cut your housing cost because your checkbook is overdrawn? Or could the problem possibility be something else?
Horrible comparison... Housing costs are primarily mortgage payments or rent and that is comparable to mandatory spending like Social Security and Medicare which are the primary drivers of our debt. In the discretionary spending arena I'd look at my food, entertainment, travel, and commodity purchases... If i was spending more than 50% of my budget on food and much of that was eating out then i'd probably start by making adjustments there. A 10% cut on that is going to be much more effective than cutting 10% on something that only comprises a small fraction of my budget.

I disagree. I think our national defense is mandatory. My example was regarding the complaint that we spend a lot on defense, therefore, this is where cuts should be made. I think that reasoning is invalid.

Sent from my SD4930UR using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Sure! But you're not debating where that line is, you're lobbying for massive cuts. I don't think we need cuts... maybe trim some waste... maybe not give our enemies billions of dollars... maybe avoid giving away our technology to China and others... but as some realistic means to bring our huge deficit in check, it's an idiotic argument.
Military spending is the largest driver of the deficit BY FAR (from descrssionary spending) I support a strong military and am not calling for massive cuts. But you are naive if you don't think there is just as much waste in military spending as there is in government programs. I'd bet there is more waste in military spending than any other department
Nope... biggest driver for of the deficits are servicing the $20 trillion debt. Defense spending is high but it's the primary function of our government.

Now.... your housing cost is probably your biggest expense... does that automatically mean you need to cut your housing cost because your checkbook is overdrawn? Or could the problem possibility be something else?
Horrible comparison... Housing costs are primarily mortgage payments or rent and that is comparable to mandatory spending like Social Security and Medicare which are the primary drivers of our debt. In the discretionary spending arena I'd look at my food, entertainment, travel, and commodity purchases... If i was spending more than 50% of my budget on food and much of that was eating out then i'd probably start by making adjustments there. A 10% cut on that is going to be much more effective than cutting 10% on something that only comprises a small fraction of my budget.

I disagree. I think our national defense is mandatory. My example was regarding the complaint that we spend a lot on defense, therefore, this is where cuts should be made. I think that reasoning is invalid.

National defense is discretionary spending, thats fact not opinion...

Federal Spending: Where Does the Money Go

Last edited:

There is no national defense Clause; there is a Common defense clause. A general clause is "superior" to any common clause.

Why do we even need Standing Armies during real times of Peace and definitely Not, real times of alleged War; since we can Lower taxes and not Raise taxes to meet any real times of War, exigency.

Why do we even need Standing Armies during real times of Peace and definitely Not, real times of alleged War; since we can Lower taxes and not Raise taxes to meet any real times of War, exigency.
I'm not quite following what you're trying to say. While I do think there is tremendous waste in our military spending and plenty of opportunity to make cuts. I also believe in maintaining a strong military. We are the world leaders and our military is crucial for humanitarian support, disaster relief, and peace keeping efforts. We also need to be ready should there be an attack or threat to our security.

I don't want to minimize the importance of our military but I also don't think they warrant a blank check and no financial oversight.

I'm not quite following what you're trying to say. While I do think there is tremendous waste in our military spending and plenty of opportunity to make cuts. I also believe in maintaining a strong military. We are the world leaders and our military is crucial for humanitarian support, disaster relief, and peace keeping efforts. We also need to be ready should there be an attack or threat to our security.

I don't want to minimize the importance of our military but I also don't think they warrant a blank check and no financial oversight.
It is for comparison and contrast with right wing propaganda and rhetoric. We do not have a general warfare clause nor a general defense clause. we do have a general welfare clause. a general clause "outranks" a common clause.

I didn't say it wasn't discretionary... if it weren't it would be pointless in discussing it, wouldn't it? Can you cite the last year congress failed to fund defense? I would say it's mighty fucking mandatory, discretionary or not.

And again for the dimwitted... of all the things government spends money on, that is the most constitutionally important and fundamental.

We have a Second Amendment for national security.

Didnt Trump propose a small one time tax for those who bring their money back to the U.S.?
Kind of like amnesty for billionaires

It will only encourage them

So you dont want trillions back into the economy due to your wealth envy....
Seems more like just, "smoke and mirrors" and merely playing "shellgames" with statism.

Why wouldn't other governments enact similar policies and earn the title of Tax Haven?

Didnt Trump propose a small one time tax for those who bring their money back to the U.S.?
Kind of like amnesty for billionaires

It will only encourage them

So you dont want trillions back into the economy due to your wealth envy....
Seems more like just, "smoke and mirrors" and merely playing "shellgames" with statism.

Why wouldn't other governments enact similar policies and earn the title of Tax Haven?

It's a one time deal. I'd say it's worth exploring.

If they bring home $5 trillion what will they do with it?

More jobs?
Higher wages?
Just keep it?

I didn't say it wasn't discretionary... if it weren't it would be pointless in discussing it, wouldn't it? Can you cite the last year congress failed to fund defense? I would say it's mighty fucking mandatory, discretionary or not.

And again for the dimwitted... of all the things government spends money on, that is the most constitutionally important and fundamental.
Funny that you use the word dimwitted when you apparently don't understand the difference between mandatory and discretionary spending. Do a little homework then we can start the conversation over.

Funny that you use the word dimwitted when you apparently don't understand the difference between mandatory and discretionary spending. Do a little homework then we can start the conversation over.
I understand the difference between discretionary and non-discretionary. I never claimed it was not discretionary. You want to tell the class what year congress didn't appropriate funding for defense, or did the dog eat your homework?

More jobs?
Higher wages?
Just keep it?
Even if they just keep it, it's better for it to be kept in American banks than overseas.
What a moron. :eusa_doh: Yeah, let's encourage Americans to earn their income from foreign companies so they can pay less in taxes. :cuckoo:

More jobs?
Higher wages?
Just keep it?
Even if they just keep it, it's better for it to be kept in American banks than overseas.
What a moron. :eusa_doh: Yeah, let's encourage Americans to earn their income from foreign companies so they can pay less in taxes. :cuckoo:
That's exactly what you're doing now!
Not really. Right now, they can earn their income from foreign businesses, but they can't bring their money back, which provide disincentive to turn to foreign businesses. You want to remove that disincentive so that everyone is encouraged to work for foreign companies.

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Forum List

Back