What Rights Should Prisoners Have?

Rape is not a crime in some countries. A man cannot be convicted for forcing his wife to have sex - she is required to do so by Cannon (Church) Law. In the middle-east women must do whatever they are told to do by their husband. In Africa women obey or they can be killed. In China they can be beaten with a whip for failing to comply with a husband's demands.

In closing it should be noted by women in western society that you have it pretty darn good compared to other jurisdictions. Be happy for what you have.

the same constitutional rights we all have, no more, no less.

When you're convicted of a felony you forfeit some of your rights. Like the right to vote, to bear arms, to hold public office just to name a few. But I assume you think they should retain all their constitutional rights. And that makes you a kool-aid drinking idiot.

In closing it should be noted by women in western society that you have it pretty darn good compared to other jurisdictions. Be happy for what you have.

I hate that logic, other people have it worse so you don't get to complain.

If people have problems pointing them to people who have it worse usually isn't the answer.

When you're convicted of a felony you forfeit some of your rights. Like the right to vote, to bear arms, to hold public office just to name a few. But I assume you think they should retain all their constitutional rights. And that makes you a kool-aid drinking idiot.

I agree that Care is a nut, and posted as much several pages ago. But just so you know. A convicted felon certainly can run for office, even if they can't vote. As fucked up as that is.

All of us have heard goofy stories about law suits won by prisoners that garnered them some right that either comprised the safety of the prison or just added to the expense of housing them. What rights do you think they should have, and which would you take away?

Me, I'd very much like to see an end to prisoner violence, especially rape. We seem to take it for granted in this country that anyone, especially a man, doing hard time is vulnerable to rape. But why? Can't we install video cameras and take other measures to end this vile crime?

On the other hand, I have very mixed feelings about gain time and the like. If a person is sentenced to ten years, I think he should serve at least 8. Most parole boards seem to me to do a terrible job....maybe that needs to end as well.

Any thoughts?

3 Hots and a Cot

That is ALL they have a right to IMO.

Rape is not a crime in some countries. A man cannot be convicted for forcing his wife to have sex - she is required to do so by Cannon (Church) Law. In the middle-east women must do whatever they are told to do by their husband. In Africa women obey or they can be killed. In China they can be beaten with a whip for failing to comply with a husband's demands.

Look pal, rape is rape, get over it - every time you molest a little boy, it's rape.

I agree that Care is a nut, and posted as much several pages ago. But just so you know. A convicted felon certainly can run for office, even if they can't vote. As fucked up as that is.

In my comment to care4shit, I was stating the facts as it pertained to convicted felons in the State of Texas.

Different laws apply in different states. The qualifications for state-level office are determined by state law. In Texas, for example, barring a pardon or other, formal "judicial release" from felon status, an individual convicted of a felony cannot run for public office, even though he or she may be able to vote. In Connecticut, according to staff attorney Ted Bromley with the state's secretary of state office, a former felon can have the right to vote, run for office and serve in elected office restored if the person has paid all penalties or served all sentences in full and is not on parole. To determine whether you are eligible to run for or hold public office (there has been at least one case in which a person has been allowed to run, but not hold elected office), check with your state's secretary of state's office.

Vote for me even though I can't! Nice campaign slogan.

In my comment to care4shit, I was stating the facts as it pertained to convicted felons in the State of Texas.

Different laws apply in different states. The qualifications for state-level office are determined by state law. In Texas, for example, barring a pardon or other, formal "judicial release" from felon status, an individual convicted of a felony cannot run for public office, even though he or she may be able to vote. In Connecticut, according to staff attorney Ted Bromley with the state's secretary of state office, a former felon can have the right to vote, run for office and serve in elected office restored if the person has paid all penalties or served all sentences in full and is not on parole. To determine whether you are eligible to run for or hold public office (there has been at least one case in which a person has been allowed to run, but not hold elected office), check with your state's secretary of state's office.

IIRC there was a guy who was too young to serve the office he was running for so when he won he just waited a couple weeks or so til he turned the right age.

I don't think you can quote scripture in one breath and condone rape in the next.
Well, I guess you can, but...

Even prisoners have the right to be safe. Food, clothing and shelter. "Shelter" includes being safe.

In a perfect world you may be right, but prison is a whole different world.

I wonder how those involved in corrections feel about this issue? I wouldn't be surprised if many of them agree that prisoners are 'coddled' in many cases now, but I wonder how far back they would consider it prudent to scale things. I'd think that the harder the time served is, the more difficult it might be for the people responsible for running the prisons to maintain order and safety, both for themselves and their prisoners. I'm certainly not saying that taking away cable t.v. is going to necessarily lead to riots and murders, but some of the more extreme examples posted in here seem to me as though they could do more harm then good.

I'm also unsure how much the types of crimes committed should or even can be taken into account. Should someone convicted of a robbery endure the same conditions as someone convicted of murder? If not, what are the differences that should occur, and how can they be implemented?

This issue is more complex than it appears at first blush. One must consider legality, morality and execution.

I thought the whole reason they gave prisoners cable TV was so that there'd be less fights and the guards' jobs wouldn't be so hard.

I thought the whole reason they gave prisoners cable TV was so that there'd be less fights and the guards' jobs wouldn't be so hard.

There is no doubt some truth to that, and honestly I can't think of any advantage to not letting them have TV, certain restrictions applying of course. I'm pretty sure that in most prisons they have to buy their own TVs and such to.

Forum List

Back