What represents civilization

I think civilization is representative by the covenant. The pact between people in the community that gives the community stability, security, and freedom.

In ancient Israel, the covenant was made on Mt. Sinai. The American covenant is the Constitution of the United States. When we ignore and turn away for it, we will become a different people.

In the west, what makes up western thought ?
Is it worth defending?

How we treat the poor.

Republicans won't understand this.

Tell me, who treats the poor better?

The liberal who is forced by government to give toward the poor?

or

The conservative who personally ministers to the poor without the need for government force?

Which do you think is more civilized?

I argue that that the west is worth defending.

I suppose that depends on how we define the west.

I would argue that the foundations of western civilization are sound. I would further argue there is much of western civilization that is decadent and needs to be refined.

Here in the west we have an agreement, we will not kill each other for what we think or believe, It isn't perfect but in general it works.
Introduce an ideology that calls for the killing of those who do not agree with what they believe and the society falls apart .

Culture is born of economic necessity ,it really is that simple , holding on to things beyond that is bigotry .

What represents civilization?

I'm thinking electricity, running water and toilet paper. Without these things it doesn't really appear to be civilization.

Don't forget the internet...in particular YouTube.

For without it, we would be uncivilized.

Now excuse me whilst I enjoy a glass of merlot with my caviar as I watch a cultural video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU]YouTube - Star Wars Kid[/ame]

In the west, what makes up western thought ?
Is it worth defending?

How we treat the poor.

or

The conservative who personally ministers to the poor without the need for government force?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpb4nwfiaPY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

What represents civilization?

I'm thinking electricity, running water and toilet paper. Without these things it doesn't really appear to be civilization.

Don't forget the internet...in particular YouTube.

For without it, we would be uncivilized.

Now excuse me whilst I enjoy a glass of merlot with my caviar as I watch a cultural video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU]YouTube - Star Wars Kid[/ame]

So this is why Rush bought meds. Now I get it.

civilized
- 5 dictionary results
civ·i·lized
   /ˈsɪvəˌlaɪzd/ Show Spelled[siv-uh-lahyzd] Show IPA
–adjective
having an advanced or humane culture, society, etc.
polite; well-bred; refined.
of or pertaining to civilized people: The civilized world must fight ignorance.
easy to manage or control; well organized or ordered: The car is quiet and civilized, even in sharp turns.
Use civilized in a Sentence
See images of civilized
Search civilized on the Web
Origin:
1605–15; civilize + -ed2

—Related forms
civ·i·liz·ed·ness  /ˈsɪvəˌlaɪzɪdnɪs, -ˌlaɪzd/ Show Spelled[siv-uh-lahy-zid-nis, -lahyzd] Show IPA, noun
half-civ·il·ized, adjective
hy·per·civ·i·lized, adjective
non·civ·i·lized, adjective
sub·civ·i·lized, adjective
su·per·civ·i·lized, adjective
ul·tra·civ·i·lized, adjective
well-civ·i·lized, adjective
civ·i·lize
   /ˈsɪvəˌlaɪz/ Show Spelled[siv-uh-lahyz] Show IPA
–verb (used with object),-lized, -liz·ing.
to bring out of a savage, uneducated, or rude state; make civil; elevate in social and private life; enlighten; refine: Rome civilized the barbarians.
Also, especially British, civ·i·lise.

Origin:
1595&#8211;1605; < F civiliser; see civil, -ize

&#8212;Related forms
civ·i·liz·a·ble, adjective
civ·i·liz·a·to·ry &#8194;/&#716;s&#618;v&#601;&#712;la&#618;z&#601;&#716;t&#596;ri, -&#716;to&#650;ri/ Show Spelled[siv-uh-lahy-zuh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Show IPA, adjective
civ·i·liz·er, noun
de·civ·i·lize, verb (used with object),-lized, -liz·ing.
non·civ·i·liz·a·ble, adjective
o·ver·civ·i·lize, verb,-lized, -liz·ing.
un·civ·i·liz·a·ble, adjective
un·civ·i·lize, verb (used with object),-lized, -liz·ing.

&#8212;Synonyms
educate, teach, instruct, polish, sophisticate.

Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.
Cite This Source
|
Link To civilized
civ·i·lize (s&#301;v'&#601;-l&#299;z')
tr.v. civ·i·lized, civ·i·liz·ing, civ·i·liz·es

To raise from barbarism to an enlightened stage of development; bring out of a primitive or savage state.

To educate in matters of culture and refinement; make more polished or sophisticated.

civ'i·liz'a·ble adj., civ'i·liz'er n.
civ·i·lized (s&#301;v'&#601;-l&#299;zd')
adj.

Having a highly developed society and culture.

Showing evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable: terrorist acts that shocked the civilized world.

Marked by refinement in taste and manners; cultured; polished.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

civilize
c.1600, from Fr. civiliser, lit. "to make citified," from O.Fr. civil, from L. civilis (see civil).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Search another word or see civilized on Thesaurus | Reference

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT2JZtZoL4o]YouTube - 1992 - Right Guard - Charles Barkley[/ame]

Western culture is the set of literary, scientific, political, artistic and philosophical principles which set it apart from other civilizations. Much of this set of traditions and knowledge is collected in the Western canon. [1]
Western culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How we treat the poor.

or

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpb4nwfiaPY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer : "Don't feed the poor. They'll 'breed.'" FULL AUDIO[/ame]

So rather than cite any sort of relavant information, you decide to post a you tube video of someone no one knows. You don't bother counteracting any information.

Studies have shown that conservatives give more the liberals. I don't consider that to mean every conservative gives more than every liberal. But in general, this is currently the truth.

Tell me rdean, why do you need the government for you to do good in your community? Are you unwilling to serve people otherwise? Are you unwilling to give your own money so you need to give the money of others? Do you want people to become dependent on government? Do you want people to feel entitled rather than grateful for aid they are given? Do you want to punish success?

Seriously, I'd love to hear you explain why you seem to think that government is the best and only way to help others. And especially why we should ignore the natural fiscal restraints in our efforts to help others with programs that have a history of not working or working efficiently.

I doubt you will actually explain your reasoning. You'll probably go on about the evils of Republicans. But it would be nice to see you explain your viewpoints for a change.

civilized
- 5 dictionary results
civ·i·lized
&#8194; &#8194;/&#712;s&#618;v&#601;&#716;la&#618;zd/ Show Spelled[siv-uh-lahyzd] Show IPA
–adjective
having an advanced or humane culture, society, etc.
polite; well-bred; refined.
of or pertaining to civilized people: The civilized world must fight ignorance.
easy to manage or control; well organized or ordered: The car is quiet and civilized, even in sharp turns.
Use civilized in a Sentence
See images of civilized
Search civilized on the Web
Origin:
1605–15; civilize + -ed2

—Related forms
civ·i·liz·ed·ness &#8194;/&#712;s&#618;v&#601;&#716;la&#618;z&#618;dn&#618;s, -&#716;la&#618;zd/ Show Spelled[siv-uh-lahy-zid-nis, -lahyzd] Show IPA, noun
half-civ·il·ized, adjective
hy·per·civ·i·lized, adjective
non·civ·i·lized, adjective
sub·civ·i·lized, adjective
su·per·civ·i·lized, adjective
ul·tra·civ·i·lized, adjective
well-civ·i·lized, adjective
civ·i·lize
&#8194; &#8194;/&#712;s&#618;v&#601;&#716;la&#618;z/ Show Spelled[siv-uh-lahyz] Show IPA
–verb (used with object),-lized, -liz·ing.
to bring out of a savage, uneducated, or rude state; make civil; elevate in social and private life; enlighten; refine: Rome civilized the barbarians.
Also, especially British, civ·i·lise.

Origin:
1595–1605; < F civiliser; see civil, -ize

—Related forms
civ·i·liz·a·ble, adjective
civ·i·liz·a·to·ry &#8194;/&#716;s&#618;v&#601;&#712;la&#618;z&#601;&#716;t&#596;ri, -&#716;to&#650;ri/ Show Spelled[siv-uh-lahy-zuh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Show IPA, adjective
civ·i·liz·er, noun
de·civ·i·lize, verb (used with object),-lized, -liz·ing.
non·civ·i·liz·a·ble, adjective
o·ver·civ·i·lize, verb,-lized, -liz·ing.
un·civ·i·liz·a·ble, adjective
un·civ·i·lize, verb (used with object),-lized, -liz·ing.

—Synonyms
educate, teach, instruct, polish, sophisticate.

Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.
Cite This Source
|
Link To civilized
civ·i·lize (s&#301;v'&#601;-l&#299;z')
tr.v. civ·i·lized, civ·i·liz·ing, civ·i·liz·es

To raise from barbarism to an enlightened stage of development; bring out of a primitive or savage state.

To educate in matters of culture and refinement; make more polished or sophisticated.

civ'i·liz'a·ble adj., civ'i·liz'er n.
civ·i·lized (s&#301;v'&#601;-l&#299;zd')
adj.

Having a highly developed society and culture.

Showing evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable: terrorist acts that shocked the civilized world.

Marked by refinement in taste and manners; cultured; polished.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

civilize
c.1600, from Fr. civiliser, lit. "to make citified," from O.Fr. civil, from L. civilis (see civil).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Search another word or see civilized on Thesaurus | Reference

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT2JZtZoL4o]YouTube - 1992 - Right Guard - Charles Barkley[/ame]

Western culture is the set of literary, scientific, political, artistic and philosophical principles which set it apart from other civilizations. Much of this set of traditions and knowledge is collected in the Western canon. [1]
Western culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Allahu akbar
Ogrish 9 / newly-released-graphic-video-shows-beheading-of-3-shiite-death-squad-members- / www.realogrish.com

or

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpb4nwfiaPY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer : "Don't feed the poor. They'll 'breed.'" FULL AUDIO[/ame]

So rather than cite any sort of relavant information, you decide to post a you tube video of someone no one knows. You don't bother counteracting any information.

Studies have shown that conservatives give more the liberals. I don't consider that to mean every conservative gives more than every liberal. But in general, this is currently the truth.

Tell me rdean, why do you need the government for you to do good in your community? Are you unwilling to serve people otherwise? Are you unwilling to give your own money so you need to give the money of others? Do you want people to become dependent on government? Do you want people to feel entitled rather than grateful for aid they are given? Do you want to punish success?

Seriously, I'd love to hear you explain why you seem to think that government is the best and only way to help others. And especially why we should ignore the natural fiscal restraints in our efforts to help others with programs that have a history of not working or working efficiently.

I doubt you will actually explain your reasoning. You'll probably go on about the evils of Republicans. But it would be nice to see you explain your viewpoints for a change.

In this country, the government is made up of people ELECTED into office. The right is so terrified of government because they work overtime to frighten each other. Some things the government has to do because the pitchfork crowd up the block just can't.
Like the military.
Or the Katrina clean-up (which Republicans failed at miserably).

I don't know what you are so afraid of. You didn't link any studies.

I know I worked at the Jane Addams center for 15 years as a volunteer until I got too old. Everyone I worked with was a liberal. Our president worked with the community.

The Lt. Governor of South Carolina is hardly an unknown. So go ahead and babble about all the "help" conservatives give. I only know their health-care plan is "die quickly" and they want the "occult" to be taught as an alternative to science. I have no respect for this current batch of conservatives. They are NOT the "party of ideas".

Forum List

Back