Rotten Tomatoes 88%

Rudolph's Shiny New Year (1976)
upload_2014-12-26_19-10-39.jpeg
en.wikipedia.org

upload_2014-12-26_19-10-39.png

·
Stop motion
IMDb 6.8/10
  • Rudolph's Shiny New Year is the 1976 stop-motion animated sequel to the 1964 television special Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, produced by Rankin/Bass. The special premiered on ABC on Dec. 10, 1976. Rudolph has just come back fr…
    en.wikipedia.org

Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
upload_2014-12-26_19-11-40.jpeg
en.wikipedia.org

upload_2014-12-26_19-11-40.png

·
1hr 42min · Comedy
IMDb 7.5/10
Rotten Tomatoes 88%
  • Christmas in Connecticut is a 1945 American Christmas film and romantic comedy directed by Peter Godfrey, and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, and Sydney Greenstreet. Elizabeth Lane is a single food writer living in New York …
    en.wikipedia.org

The Shop Around the Corner

I watched A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart. Also, Its a wonderful Life, in color.
I'm watching It's a wonderful Life too but I could only find it in Black and white.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
upload_2014-12-26_22-50-57.jpeg
en.wikipedia.org

upload_2014-12-26_22-50-57.png

·
2hr 10min · Fantasy
IMDb 8.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes 94%

I watched A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart. Also, Its a wonderful Life, in color.
I'm watching It's a wonderful Life too but I could only find it in Black and white.

View attachment 35372
en.wikipedia.org
View attachment 35371
·
2hr 10min · Fantasy
IMDb 8.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes 94%
The colorized copy I saw was not good. The colors tended to be all pastels and it was the shorten version of the film.

See all images
The Little Drummer Boy (1968)
  • The Little Drummer Boy is a 1968 Christmas stop-motion television special produced by Rankin/Bass, based on the song "The Little Drummer Boy". It was followed by a sequel in 1976. A poor young boy is summoned by the Magi to the nativity where, without a gift for the infant Jesus, he plays his drum while remembering "I played my …
    en.wikipedia.org

View attachment 35372
en.wikipedia.org
View attachment 35371
·
2hr 10min · Fantasy
IMDb 8.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes 94%
The colorized copy I saw was not good. The colors tended to be all pastels and it was the shorten version of the film.
I didn't realize there was a shortened version of the film.

Sink the Bismarck! (1960)
upload_2014-12-27_19-46-20.jpeg
www.imdb.com

NR · 1hr 37min · War
IMDb 7.2/10
Rotten Tomatoes 80%
  • Sink the Bismarck! is a 1960 black-and-white CinemaScope British war film based on the book Last Nine Days of the Bismarck by C. S. Forester. It stars Kenneth More and Dana Wynter and was directed by Lewis Gilbert. To date, it is the onl…
    en.wikipedia.org

View attachment 35372
en.wikipedia.org
View attachment 35371
·
2hr 10min · Fantasy
IMDb 8.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes 94%
I didn't realize there was a shortened version of the film.
Most of the colorized version were developed for TV viewing and used the shorten versions.

Many of the old films have been colorized but the results are generally not too good. Early techniques have soft contrast and fairly pale, flat, washed out color; however, the technology has improved since the 1980s. The major problem with colorization is that a technician decides on the colors which are often not realist and sometimes clash terribly.

For example, in one movie, a funeral scene had the leading lady wearing a bright purple mourning dress. It was suppose to be in the dead of winter just before Christmas and the colorizing technician turn the grass a bright green and clouds were white and puffy with a bright blue sky. It totally ruined the effect of the scene.

View attachment 35372
en.wikipedia.org
View attachment 35371
·
2hr 10min · Fantasy
IMDb 8.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes 94%
It really wasn't bad, it isn't like living color that we have now but it was unobtrusive, pale, skin color was good. I like it better than B/W.

View attachment 35372
en.wikipedia.org
View attachment 35371
·
2hr 10min · Fantasy
IMDb 8.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes 94%
What parts are taken out in the shortened version? Could be some of it where they were drying off after George jumps into the river to save Clarence.

1935 Midsummers Night Dream
A Midsummer Night s Dream 1935 film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

One of my favorites. For 1935 the special effects are pretty good as are the costumes. Olivia de Havilland good as always and a young Mickey Rooney plays a great Robin Goodfellow (puck) except for that really annoying sound he makes through out the whole movie.

Cast[edit]

L. to R. :Ross Alexander, Dick Powell, Jean Muir and Olivia de Havilland
The Athenian Court

The Players

The Fairies

I like some old movies, which I will watch occasionally when they happen to be on. I've seen the Grapes of Wrath, The Wizard of Oz (of course - who hasn't seen that one?), The Sound of Music, All About Eve, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, The Long Hot Summer, Gone With The Wind. There are few others that I've seen and can't recall the names of right now. I'm not as big a movie aficionado as some of you here though. :D These are just some old movies I've seen and liked.

Forum List

Back