What News Outlets Do You Rely On?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Madeline, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I try to read the NY Times every week and the local paper (Cleveland Plain Dealer), which isn't terrible, daily or so. I used to try and read the Washington Post and Chicago Tribune regularly, but I admit, I haven't been doing so. I have Health Care Law news fatigue, I think.

I wander around the various television news shows. ABC, NBC and CBS are all too short and too superficial to satisfy. PBS/Jim Lehner is okay but not especially "listenable". I admit it, like everyone else, I want my news to be a (at least a little) entertaining. BBC American is too long, too boring and broadcast at times I'm not especially interested in the news....like 4am.

CNBC and MSNBC both seem okay. FOX seems more like a place to hear opinion on what happened, not news itself. I have to admit though, FOX does do pieces on stories I rarely hear about anywhere else -- like the rise in crime in Mexico, etc. Over and over, for basic news coverage I keep coming back to CNN.

I don't regularly read any special interest web site or paper, though I will go look occasionally. If the story is exciting enough I usually look to see what mainstream outlets are saying.

What outlets are you relying on? Do you think they are handling stories fairly? I was a little annoyed at CNN after the Haitian earthquake because some of the reporting seemed more like guilt-mongering. Personally I don't like to see reporters "involved in a story" and advocating for a certain solution. I miss Walter Chronkite and the days when "watching the news" was over in an hour, with time out for commercials. These days it seems like 3 or 4 hours a day is not enough.

2. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    E-mail.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I listen to President Obama and do and believe everything he tells me... because I want to be a good little Democrat.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay, that was very, very hard to type.

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    But seriously? I have the same dislike of the network "World News". The world in half an hour? Can't be done. I do like BBC America, they have the best actual world coverage and surprisingly little spin considering what you get on the talking head hack networks.

I occasionally catch a little bit of Morning Joe, otherwise I don't watch MSNBC. Same with FOX. And I'm really disappointed in CNN, instead of staying above the fray they seem to be lowering themselves to the hack networks' tactics. C-Span is a must if there's something going on in Congress I'm interested in of course. And otherwise I tend to surf.

5. Patriot214

Patriot214 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The best news outlets are the ones who provide sources for what they report. The left will claim those who watch fox news and listen to talk radio are misinformed. Talk radio provides the best sources for the facts they report and the current events they discuss. What makes a reliable news outliet is one that sites their sources so you can research them for yourself, rather than simply taking someones word for it.

6. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,515
    I learn all my news from internet message boards

7. uptownlivin90

uptownlivin90 Rebelious Youngin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    My own two eyes, and sometimes I don't even trust them.

8. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    For news, I generally prefer the Headline News format and that generally means...yes, you got it... CNN Headline News. They get so much less time to editorialize that it is somewhat refreshing.

Tampa Bay has a similar format on Bright House Network called BayNews9. That is what I watch for my local news. The problem is that they do weather on the nines... yes, that means every 10 minutes. Well, if you live in hurricane country you can understand how important that is when there is a hurricane on the way, but doggone it during the rest of the year... Florida weather just doesn't change that much every 10 frigging minutes.

Oh, and by the way... when a hurricane IS coming they switch to weather 24/7 so what the hell?

Immie

9. Tom Clancy

Tom Clancy Clancy for Ron Paul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I tend to go on all Websites..

Meaning:

CNN, Fox, MSNBC, NYT, LAT, and my personal Favorite BBC News.

10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,770
    Fox, MSNBC,, I love watching tweety spit and drool, madcow and oldmotmuchofaman are too funny,, and mr. ed is going to blow a gasket some day,, and then c-span.. when I hear of a story that is in a particular city or state I usually go to the newspaper that serves that city..

but for knowing what the loons on the left are thinking, doing saying and instigating you cannot beat the obie wan messiah station with tweety and co.