What languages do you know?

I managed to buy tickets for Spartak v. Rubin Kazan many years ago while I was in Moscow. So I'm almost fluent in Russian, I could say some of the numbers, yes, no. Yeah, fluent.

But seriously, English, Spanish, German and Mandarin are my languages in that order of fluency.

I managed to buy tickets for Spartak v. Rubin Kazan many years ago while I was in Moscow. So I'm almost fluent in Russian, I could say some of the numbers, yes, no. Yeah, fluent.

What about Tatar? - Kazan is a capital of the Tatar repulic :) Who won, by the way? :)

I never went to Kazan, Kazan kicked the hell out of Spartak, 3-0, it was like 70,000 people and only 300 singing.

What about Tatar? - Kazan is a capital of the Tatar repulic :) Who won, by the way? :)

I never went to Kazan, Kazan kicked the hell out of Spartak, 3-0, it was like 70,000 people and only 300 singing.

anyway, you have a brilliant memory to remember the names of Russian soccer clubs...

anyway, you have a brilliant memory to remember the names of Russian soccer clubs...

I know a few, Rubin and Spartak are clubs who have been successful in Europe, I don't know that many beyond these and Dynamo. I also saw Russia under 21s play Italy U-21s, a Russian got sent off, in a friendly, for a head butt. That was fun. Most enjoyable part of the match, except maybe for the one monkey chant.

I know a few, Rubin and Spartak are clubs who have been successful in Europe, I don't know that many beyond these and Dynamo. I also saw Russia under 21s play Italy U-21s, a Russian got sent off, in a friendly, for a head butt. That was fun. Most enjoyable part of the match, except maybe for the one monkey chant.

I think that you've heard of CSKA too, the Red Army as it's usually called in North America.

I think that you've heard of CSKA too, the Red Army as it's usually called in North America.

Oh, yeah, heard of them.

1. My only language is American English. I try to observe proper grammar. For example, I say "It's I," not "me." And I hope that I NEVER say something like "Me and my friend are going to a baseball game."

2. I can speak enough standard Spanish to make myself understood. I can understand Spanish IF the speaker speaks slowly and does NOT use local idioms.

3. With a good dictionary, I can get the gist of easy newspaper articles in Chinese (Mandarin), but there is NO way that I can speak or understand or write it. In the past when I occasionally tried to write it, I always used traditional characters, not the simplified ones used in the People's Republic of China. I hear that some scholars there are gently urging the return of some traditional characters. On the other hand, I hear that in the Republic of China (Taiwan) a few simplified characters are now being used.

Last edited:
I once took a correspondence course in Russian, Comrade Johnson.

I lasted one month before I threw all the materials in the wastebasket.

Compared with Russian, Chinese is a cakewalk.

1. My only language is American English. I try to observe proper grammar. For example, I say "It's I," not "me." And I hope that I NEVER say something like "Me and my friend are going to a baseball game."

Isn't "me" proper when you are the object of the sentence? ie "it's me" is correct, not "It's I".

English and Spanish in High School and college. I'd love to learn Russian, but it is hard carving an hour out of every day. I studied the pronunciation in an old book and have purchased the Russian Rosetta Stone. Every since I was a kid I was fascinated by the Russian language. Should I try to pick it up in my 40's?

Forum List

Back